Sign in to follow this  
coffeeintheam

Check

Speaking of checks, who still writes them, and how many DO you write in a year? I would have to say, I write less than a dozen a year.  The last 2.. charitable donation, and a landscaper that trimmed my trees.  Before that?

13 minutes ago, Cactus Flower said:

Speaking of checks, who still writes them, and how many DO you write in a year? I would have to say, I write less than a dozen a year.  The last 2.. charitable donation, and a landscaper that trimmed my trees.  Before that?

I've written several this month, with a few more coming.  I paid a medical bill plus paid both my Federal and State income taxes.  Since I owe taxes, why pay extra to eFile?  Print the whole damn thing out and mail them a check.

Most frequent checks written:  Home contractors who don't accept credit and transfers between banks (when EFT's are unwieldy).

Also have a quarterly check sent via bank billpay for trash pickup, who charges a fee for credit payments and can't accommodate EFT.

Excluding bank transfers, maybe 10 a year.  (Have to laugh when I think back to the 80's and used to carry a checkbook with me.  Lived in a small town, 20k pop, where most anywhere would accept a local check.  Had my DL # on the check for convenience.)

Edited by hdporter

I write one annually to the IRS for the several hundred dollars I owe annually. Otherwise, I never write them... the last time I bought checks was probably the mid 2000s. 

The only other time I deal with checks/cheques [for our British friends] is when I'm at the grocery store and in a hurry to get the one item I need for dinner home. Inevitably, there is an older person who still believes that LBJ is President, charge/credit cards are only for business people, and they have to handwrite a check after taking inventory of their purse or their pockets. They need to stop paying as if it is 1966.

22 hours ago, insolent1 said:

I write one annually to the IRS for the several hundred dollars I owe annually. Otherwise, I never write them... the last time I bought checks was probably the mid 2000s.

You paid for them more recently than I did...when I needed one for my water bill (they FINALLY went to online payments, including the use of credit cards), I just had my bank print me out a couple sheets of temporary checks. 

On 4/7/2019 at 8:51 AM, hdporter said:

Most frequent checks written:  Home contractors who don't accept credit and transfers between banks (when EFT's are unwieldy).

Also have a quarterly check sent via bank billpay for trash pickup, who charges a fee for credit payments and can't accommodate EFT.

Excluding bank transfers, maybe 10 a year.  (Have to laugh when I think back to the 80's and used to carry a checkbook with me.  Lived in a small town, 20k pop, where most anywhere would accept a local check.  Had my DL # on the check for convenience.)

I  haven't carried a checkbook in years & years; for a long time after I stopped, I had a blank check folded up in my wallet "just in case"; now  I don't even do that; I have even gotten away from carrying a lot of cards.... because so many places take Android/Google Pay, I just use my phone. How times have changed.

Edited by Cactus Flower

On 4/7/2019 at 12:07 AM, Kat58 said:

Checkmate!

*testing*