Sign in to follow this  
LohaLonnie

2 Bills for the ER

I was recently billed for my trip to the ER. I received two bills for the same date of the ER.

First bill: $700.00 which matches my EOB from my insurance provider

Second bill: $353.50 (patients balance/deductable) which shows date of dervice, providers name, charges, credits and remaining balance.

*charges are $505.00 which are not explained

*credits are $151.50

I am thinking that the 2nd bill is either fraudulent or is money for the Dr. who saw me. I say this because the $700 bill is what matches from the health insurance provider as my EOB.

Please let me know what you think. Thankd so much! 

Your EOMBs should show what was billed, what was allowed, what was paid and how much is left as patient responsibility. If the codes do not include any reference to the $505. charges then you need to see exactly who the bill is from. If it is from the hospital, then call your insurance Co and find out if there is another EOMB outstanding. If they don't have anything then IN THIS CASE and ONLY if the bill is FROM THE HOSPITAL call the hospital billing dept. and ask what it is for and make sure that your account data did NOT get mixed up with someone else,OR someone else used YOUR SS# and insurance info for their own admission.

If the bill is NOT from the hospital then send the party that sent it to you this;(use mailing instructions from the guide linked below)

Your Name
123 Your Street Address
Your City, ST 01234
ABC Collections
123 NotOnYourLife Ave
Chicago, IL
Date: _________ PM#____________
Re: Acct # XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is being sent to you in response to your attached letter. 
Under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), I have the right to request validation of the debt you say I owe you. I am requesting proof that I am indeed the party you are asking to pay this debt,the date of the alleged medical service, the name of the patient and that there is some contractual obligation which is binding on me to pay this debt.
Please attach copies of:
Agreement with your client that grants you the authority to collect on this alleged debt,or proof of acquisition by purchase or assignment. 
Agreement that bears the signature of the alleged debtor wherein he or she agreed to pay the creditor and as this is a medical account a copy of any HIPAA authorization.
Please also be advised that this letter is not only a formal dispute, but a request that you cease and desist any and all collection activities, including reporting of; or verifying of this account on my credit reports.
Your receipt of this letter will be considered as having granted consent to the taping of any and all telephone calls to me at my home or business by you or your agents or assigns
I require compliance with the terms and conditions of this letter within 30 days. or a complete withdrawal, in writing, of any claim.
In the event of noncompliance, I reserve the right to file charges and/or complaints with the OCR on your HIPAA violations and appropriate County, State & Federal authorities ,
I also hereby reserve my right to take private civil action against you to recover damages.
Sincerely,
Your Name(PRINT OR TYPE DO NOT SIGN)

Meantime follow this guide

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Come back to this post for further instructions once you have completed the appropriate steps above.

It is not at all uncommon to see multiple bills for a trip to the ER.  There is not generally one centralized billing that covers everything.  Each professional that was involved often has their own billing.  It is not unheard of to see a dozen or so different bills for a single hospitalization.