Sign in to follow this  
xenoz

Where do I go from here? Newbie looking for advice

16 minutes ago, AlabamaSteve said:

Yeah you shouldn't have an issue. I just did a quick search through the Creditpulls database, and it looks like for most Chase cards in the past year or two, have been pulling Experian or Equifax. Now keep in mind, Credit Karma scores are Fako's. Not real scores. 

Most Sapphire approvals I saw were 720+, and had thicker files than yours. Again may want to get your foot in the door with a Freedom card, and go from there, just my opinion. 

I think you’re right. Any application for a sapphire preferred will just end with a pull and decline. I’ll probably start with a freedom or Amex blue cash everyday and work from there. 

45 minutes ago, xenoz said:

I’ll probably start with a freedom or Amex blue cash everyday and work from there. 

Good plan, and you should get both.

But space them out ~3 months apart. Total MSR for the 2 is $1500, so at your natural rate of spend you'll get about 4-5 months of very high return on all your spending. And both cards are great additions to your portfolio.

Open one ASAP, then app for the 2nd as soon as you finish the MSR. Don't be tempted to accelerate spending to meet the MSRs.

1 hour ago, Kat58 said:

Read this thread...

Note - It doesn't have to be exactly $2/$3... ~$10 is fine. Do not let both/all cards report a $0 balance, this will actually lower your FICO score.

Creditkarma uses Vantage scores, not FICO. Do you get a TU FICO 08 score on your student Discover card?

I do, as of 3/5 it’s 712 but I’ve had two statements out since then. 

1 hour ago, Occam said:

But space them out ~3 months apart. Total MSR for the 2 is $1500, so at your natural rate of spend you'll get about 4-5 months of very high return on all your spending. And both cards are great additions to your portfolio.

Open one ASAP, then app for the 2nd as soon as you finish the MSR. Don't be tempted to accelerate spending to meet the MSRs.

Would you say there's any difference between doing the regular Chase Freedom vs. the Freedom Unlimited? I mean obviously there's the rewards difference but based on my spending I think I'd get more benefit from 1.5% than rotating 5% based on my spending. 

1 hour ago, Occam said:

Also similar question about the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card vs. the Amex Everyday Credit Card. Are points better than cash back? 

5 hours ago, xenoz said:

Also similar question about the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card vs. the Amex Everyday Credit Card. Are points better than cash back? 

I saw your $5k Amex approval posted in the CPDB... Congratulations!!! 

Which card did you get?

7 hours ago, xenoz said:

Would you say there's any difference between doing the regular Chase Freedom vs. the Freedom Unlimited? I mean obviously there's the rewards difference but based on my spending I think I'd get more benefit from 1.5% than rotating 5% based on my spending. 

Get the one that makes sense for you.  If you find the other is better for you on down the line, you can request a product change, though you'd lose out on the sign-up bonus.  

A few things unique to Chase, though, one needs to keep in mind.  First, you are unlikely to get approved for a second until a 1/2 year or even a year after you get your first.  Second, remember Chase's policy of 5/24.  If you think there's a Chase card you really want, but they wouldn't give you now because of your thin file, save a slot for it.  Finally, the best credit limit increase with Chase is not asking for a CLI -- you just app a new card and combo.  

13 hours ago, Kat58 said:

Which card did you get?

I got the Blue Cash Everyday Card! Good to get my foot in the door with Amex and as an added bonus it has a contactless function too. 

13 hours ago, Kat58 said:

Which card did you get?

I got the Blue Cash Everyday Card! Good to get my foot in the door with Amex and as an added bonus it has a contactless function too. 

12 minutes ago, xenoz said:

👍

After your Amex reports to the bureaus (IIRC, it can take several months) you should request CLI's online on your BOA and Discover cards. Both should be SP's.