greeny1026

Advice needed for handling student loan correction

TL;DR - What account corrections should I expect when correcting an erroneous capitalization event made 5 years ago with over payments made on the loan while it was capitalized?

Whole story:

I have 4 federal unsubsidized student loans (all fixed at the same rate and totaling ca. $20k) that all capitalized in 2013 due to a clerical error made by my graduate school institution. As I am still a full-time student, these loans should have stayed in deferment (and have been in deferment since the initial capitalization) throughout my graduate studies. The admin paperwork side of this issue has been handled and my loan holders have confirmed the error, which leads us with corrections to be made to my account balance.

Between 2013-today, I've been making payments (and collecting interest) on my loans. I was able to pay one off last year, but due to the capitalized interest, I overpaid by ca. $3k with 4 extra months of payment on this loan. Payments on the rest were only to interest and after removing the capitalization, only resulted in a lower amount due. I have two specific questions as to what to expect as far as these corrections go: 1) what happens to the over payment (redistributed to other loans, refunded, etc.) and 2) is it realistic to expect a deduction from the interest accrued on the other loans over the course of the 4 months during which I was paying on a loan that should have already been done?

I appreciate any and all advice!

Welcome to Crediboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze & MarvBear