zackeferrell

Help! Paid for car was repo’d

Sounds weird, I know. Back in December I mail a payoff cashiers check for my vehicle. After a week of so of not seeing it credited on the account I called and checked. Since it was around the holidays they said to give it some time. Followed up after the new year, still nothing. They requested a copy of the check faxed in so they can investigate it. They said their payment investigation team would look into it and it could take 30-60 days. Fast forward to today, the vehicle was picked up.

What are my rights in this situation? How should I handle it? It’s in Michigan if that help. 

what proof do you have they received/cashed the payment other than the check?

did they post the payment before the payoff amount adjusted?

who is the lender? roadloans? what communications did they provide before the repo?

what paperwork was given to you by the towing firm?

Did you originally purchase the vehicle in Michigan?

Was the original contract a RISA or a Retail Lease?

4 hours ago, hegemony said:

what proof do you have they received/cashed the payment other than the check?

did they post the payment before the payoff amount adjusted?

who is the lender? roadloans? what communications did they provide before the repo?

what paperwork was given to you by the towing firm?

I have a scanned cashier check from my banks. Road loans is the finance company. No communication other than working on figure out what happened to the payment. 

Tow company gave nothing. I came home and the vehicle was gone from my driveway 

4 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Did you originally purchase the vehicle in Michigan?

Was the original contract a RISA or a Retail Lease?

Yes is was in MI and a RISA

According to your bank, did the bank check clear their account and has an endorsement on the backside?

43 minutes ago, MarvBear said:

According to your bank, did the bank check clear their account and has an endorsement on the backside?

Yes the check is scanned on the back

1 hour ago, MarvBear said:

36 minutes ago, zackeferrell said:

Yes the check is scanned on the back

But is the back of the check blank or does it have imprinting or some form of writing to show it was endorsed for deposit by Road Loans?

20 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

But is the back of the check blank or does it have imprinting or some form of writing to show it was endorsed for deposit by Road Loans?

It is stamped and scanned. No clue by who. States “for deposit only” and have numbers stamped 

I can give advice about how to help a person purchase/lease a vehicle, but If I paid off a vehicle and have undeniable proof it was paid and later it disappeared from my driveway, I'd be talking to the police.   It would seem to me based on your posts that someone stole your vehicle.  It appears someone unknown did indeed pick up your vehicle.

15 hours ago, MarvBear said:

I can give advice about how to help a person purchase/lease a vehicle, but If I paid off a vehicle and have undeniable proof it was paid and later it disappeared from my driveway, I'd be talking to the police.   It would seem to me based on your posts that someone stole your vehicle.  It appears someone unknown did indeed pick up your vehicle.

The finance company states that it was indeed picked up, even after reassuring the account was on hold till they located the payment. I do have undeniable proof and a copy of the front and back scanned check from the bank. Also is it legal to take a vehicle without me being home and no notice being left?

2 hours ago, zackeferrell said:

The finance company states that it was indeed picked up, even after reassuring the account was on hold till they located the payment. I do have undeniable proof and a copy of the front and back scanned check from the bank. Also is it legal to take a vehicle without me being home and no notice being left?

Unless you have a unique State law, there is no requirement that you be home when a car is hooked up.  Further, as long as they notified local law enforcement (which prevents wasting law enforcement time on theft claims that are not theft), then no other notice is required to have been left.  The notice of the repo action will be two-fold: 1) when the consumer calls to report the car stolen and is informed of the repo and 2) when the lender sends out the notices associated with repo actions.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:36 PM, zackeferrell said:

It is stamped and scanned. No clue by who. States “for deposit only” and have numbers stamped 

I would be speaking to an attorney about filing a lawsuit against RoadLoans, and when you get your vehicle returned if there is damage (even a scratch that requires repair) sue to towing company for damage and loss of vehicle value.