Sign in to follow this  
cashnocredit

The Widow Mrs. Silence Dogood

From "her" first letter:

At the time of my Birth, my Parents were on Ship-board in their Way from London to N. England. My Entrance into this troublesome World was attended with the Death of my Father, a Misfortune, which tho’ I was not then capable of knowing, I shall never be able to forget; for as he, poor Man, stood upon the Deck rejoycing at my Birth, a merciless Wave entred the Ship, and in one Moment carry’d him beyond Reprieve. Thus, was the first Day which I saw, the last that was seen by my Father; and thus was my disconsolate Mother at once made both a Parent and a Widow.

The author was 16 y/o Benjamin Franklin secretly writing a series of letters under the pseudonym in order to get his older brother, publisher of the "New-England Courant," to print it.  BTW, he was indentured to his older brother and later ran away.

http://franklinpapers.org/framedVolumes.jsp?vol=1&page=008a

Gotta love the internet.