bozzburg

Odd Goodwill Response

Hello Fellow CB'ers,

About a month ago, I sent a Goodwill letter to Synchrony requesting Goodwill on some late payments for 3 accounts.

I finally received a response that essentially said that everything they are reporting is accurate. 

It's like they just completely glossed over my request as this was not what I was asking for. The intent of the letter was asking them if they could remove these late payments and it couldn't have been anymore obvious in the letter.

This is the body of the letter:

I am reaching out regarding accounts that I had with Synchrony Financial. These accounts were:

Amazon (Sept. 2018, Oct. 2018 late payments)
Care Credit
Walmart (November. 2018 late payment)

The reason for the contact is because in 2018, I suffered loss of employment. These 3 accounts were in good standing up until 2018 at which point I had to enroll in hardship programs to assist with keeping the accounts current because of high minimum payments.

The Care Credit account was closed in good standing as Paid in Full. The Amazon and Walmart accounts were both Paid in Full and closed but I accumulated late payments on Amazon and Walmart (months outlined above).

While I am fully aware that it is within FCRA law that accurate information is to be reported to a credit bureau, it is however not against the law to request or grant an adjustment of Goodwill to a consumer.

I did not at anytime neglect any of my accounts with Synchrony Financial and PROMPTLY paid these accounts IN FULL when I had the available means to without them being charged off. I take my financial obligations with all of my creditors very seriously and had a fantastic credit standing before my loss of employment in 2018. 

I am requesting out of Goodwill if my Amazon and Walmart accounts can have the late payments removed and negative information also be deleted. If this request is granted, I ask if this information could be updated on all major credit bureaus.

Edited by bozzburg
Typo

Which specific executive was the letter mailed to?

Goodwill letters are rarely effective in the current era, and when they ARE, it needs to be a tailored letter addressed and mailed to a specific executive.  The best source for those persons are SEC filings, either 8K or 10K/10Q, but even the corporate website will usually name the executives.

2 hours ago, bozzburg said:

Hello Fellow CB'ers,

About a month ago, I sent a Goodwill letter to Synchrony requesting Goodwill on some late payments for 3 accounts.

I finally received a response that essentially said that everything they are reporting is accurate. 

It's like they just completely glossed over my request as this was not what I was asking for. The intent of the letter was asking them if they could remove these late payments and it couldn't have been anymore obvious in the letter.

This is the body of the letter:

I am reaching out regarding accounts that I had with Synchrony Financial. These accounts were:

Amazon (Sept. 2018, Oct. 2018 late payments)
Care Credit
Walmart (November. 2018 late payment)

The reason for the contact is because in 2018, I suffered loss of employment. These 3 accounts were in good standing up until 2018 at which point I had to enroll in hardship programs to assist with keeping the accounts current because of high minimum payments.

The Care Credit account was closed in good standing as Paid in Full. The Amazon and Walmart accounts were both Paid in Full and closed but I accumulated late payments on Amazon and Walmart (months outlined above).

While I am fully aware that it is within FCRA law that accurate information is to be reported to a credit bureau, it is however not against the law to request or grant an adjustment of Goodwill to a consumer.

I did not at anytime neglect any of my accounts with Synchrony Financial and PROMPTLY paid these accounts IN FULL when I had the available means to without them being charged off. I take my financial obligations with all of my creditors very seriously and had a fantastic credit standing before my loss of employment in 2018. 

I am requesting out of Goodwill if my Amazon and Walmart accounts can have the late payments removed and negative information also be deleted. If this request is granted, I ask if this information could be updated on all major credit bureaus.

They didn't gloss over your request.  Basically in corporate-speak they told you to FOAD.

6 hours ago, PotO said:

They didn't gloss over your request.  Basically in corporate-speak they told you to FOAD.

+1

They knew exactly what you wanted, weren't interested, and didn't even want to acknowledge the subject (otherwise potentially giving you something to argue back with).  "We've reported accurately so take that and stuff it in your pipe ..."

They're not the only creditor to take this tack.

A google search suggests others have had success with Synchrony goodwill (generally, goodwill on a closed account means deletion of the tradeline).

If you have other delinquencies to work on, I suggest letting this lie for the time being.  Otherwise, do some digging, figure out what worked (and what didn't) and steel yourself up for another salvo.  Best wishes ...

13 hours ago, centex said:

Which specific executive was the letter mailed to?

Goodwill letters are rarely effective in the current era, and when they ARE, it needs to be a tailored letter addressed and mailed to a specific executive.  The best source for those persons are SEC filings, either 8K or 10K/10Q, but even the corporate website will usually name the executives.

This.

Companies don't grant goodwill requests, people do. 

The number of interested people with the authority to help is generally very small.