Sign in to follow this  
cashnocredit

Whe needs grades? Get into elite schools the old fashioned way

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-uncover-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n982136

Authorities said the FBI investigation, code-named Operation Varsity Blues, uncovered a network of wealthy parents who paid thousands of dollars to a California man who boosted their childrens' chances of gaining entrance into elite colleges, such as Yale University and Stanford University, by paying people to take tests for their children, bribing test administrators to allow it to happen, and bribing college coaches and administrators to identify the applicants as athletes.

Rick, who ran the thing, got caught, pleaded guilty, then cooperated in the sting to get the parents and coaches, opines on how to get into college.

The problem is if you got Einstein to take the SAT for you and his math score got you into Caltech, but you couldn't add 2+2, you'll flunk out after your first semester. What's the point?

1 hour ago, Burgerwars said:

The problem is if you got Einstein to take the SAT for you and his math score got you into Caltech, but you couldn't add 2+2, you'll flunk out after your first semester. What's the point?

There's  a reason Caltech isn't in the list. They don't have set asides for athletes. But for some reason they do have sports teams that generally win a game every decade or so.

And they got sanctioned by the NCAA for playing games in which many were academically ineligible. Highly amusing/

Caltech Gives New Meaning to ‘Academically Ineligible’

15 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

At many schools, it has become close to impossible to be flunked out.  If you show up to class, the professors apparently feel obligated to give no less than a D, with some using a C as their lowest grade.  Dershowitz was talking about this last night on one of the programs. 

Sadly, worthless degree programs have gone hand in hand with worthless grading scales at many institutions. 

I put no value on anything Dershowitz has to say on this or any other subject.

Grades don't mean what many think they mean. At most public universities a gross percentage of students flunk out. perhaps life is different at high brow snob unies

Edited by hegemony
typo

Time to brag: I actually went to Harvard and MIT. I visited both campuses when I was in Boston last October. My major academic accomplishment was I used the restrooms at both campuses.

Edited by Burgerwars

College degrees in general no longer have a lot of power in the job field.  And it would be foolish to hire anyone because they have an Ivy League degree without also checking the grades.  Like Centex said, anything less than 3.0 means he was just passed along.

Edited by mk_378

11 hours ago, centex said:

At many schools, it has become close to impossible to be flunked out.  If you show up to class, the professors apparently feel obligated to give no less than a D, with some using a C as their lowest grade.  Dershowitz was talking about this last night on one of the programs. 

Sadly, worthless degree programs have gone hand in hand with worthless grading scales at many institutions. 

A "C" average in a school such as Engineering or Medicine is one thing. A "C" average in Liberal Arts is another.

I learned early on when interviewing/hiring engineers and techs, that the college they went to, let alone their grades, had almost nothing to do with how productive they were. This was something of a shock to me! Some of my hires had engineering degrees from schools like Berkeley or UCSD but a few had no degree at all. OTOH, I've hired people I found while researching a topic at the local university and ran across a thesis that just shouted: "find this person." I love universities but I don't hire credentials.

Here's another way some get an "edge" for their kids. 

https://slate.com/technology/2006/05/taking-the-sat-untimed.html

And when test prep is not enough, there is another option with increasing appeal to well-off families: a diagnosis of dyslexia or attention deficit disorder that allows a student to take the SAT and other standardized tests untimed.

A guy I worked with was onto this and had one of his kids diagnosed so he could take the SATs with extra time. First I've seen this in print though. BTW, Slate is owned by WaPo.