Sign in to follow this  
olderandwiser

10 Medical Collections

Posted (edited)

Hello!

I am 2 years out from seeking financing for a house renovation and I am working on getting my credit report in good shape. I have 2 types of negative entries - medical and my student loans. I have my student loan debt (thankfully only $900) on a rehabilitation program, so I am good to go on that. 

I have 10 separate medical bill collection entries from 3 separate collection agencies, all originated in 2016 or newer:

1. ~$200 CA #1
  2. ~$140 CA #2
  3. ~$175 CA #2
  4. ~$60 CA #2
  5. ~$290 CA #2
  6. ~$300 CA #2
  7. ~$102 CA #2
  8. ~$230 CA #2
  9. ~$60 CA #2
  10. ~$80 CA #3

believe they are all valid as they are associated with my prenatal and c-section dates. Of course I have to make sure they are valid. I didn't have the extra money to pay these bills which is why they were sent to collections.

I don't have the cash to pay them all in full. I do have a zero interest credit card that I would like to put my debt on to pay off by the end of the year, I'm not sure if CA give an option to make payments with credit cards, though. I have zero credit card debt as of December 2018 and this is the last thing I plan on using credit for. I've learned my lessons! 

So my questions are this:

1. Does anyone know if CAs give the option to pay with a credit card?
  2. I assume I would follow WhyChat's HIPAA Letter Program for these debts? 
  3. I just want to verify that I'm understanding it correctly. Since many of these are with the same CA and all originating from the same OC, I send one letter for all of the debts with the same CA/OC, correct?

Thank you!

Edited by olderandwiser
I posted before I finished my post!

Welcome to Crediboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze & MarvBear

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Send the initial dispute letter to the CRAs ( after opting out and deleting old addresses)

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

List ALL medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing.

Meanwhile get your EOMBs ( explanation of medical benefits) from your insurance Co.

double check each EOMB for amount charged, amount allowed, amount paid and the balance showing as patient responsibility. Cross reference each collection account with the EOMBs

You MAY wind up paying the OC health care provider once you have finished the process above, but you should NEVER NEVER NEVER pay a CA as all that would do would be to replace your collection accounts on your reports with  UPDATED "paid" collection accounts which, because they would still be derogatory, but more recent, would REDUCE your credit scores.

Come back to this post for additional help and further instructions once you have finished the above steps and have some results. 

DO NOT CALL OR GO ONLINE for anything to anyone as that would defeat the purpose of the HIPAA letter system which bypasses the automated computer programs of the CRAs.

Thank you!

I have already opted out and deleted old addresses (and odd entries of my name being completely misspelled.) 

I pulled my EOMBs and verified that the amounts are all correct after insurance was billed. 

I sent the pre-HIPAA dispute letters to the CRAs yesterday and will wait for their responses. 

I went through my budget last night and I worked it out where I will have the cash available to pay everything if it gets to the point of having to pay the OC

I'll update once I get responses from the CRAs... until then, I'll be here staring at my mailbox. ;)