Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

AMEX regain card membership (with photos)

On 2/26/2020 at 11:00 PM, TeachMeMaster said:

This department might be able to point you in the right direction

866-243-1036 

Thank you so much. I tried that number too and got a supervisor (after begging). The supervisor explained that his department was for recoveries and he had no way of resending that application. He pointed me back to customer service.

I got through to someone really nice in the new application department. She said the letters for Optima are handled through the collection agency, and to call them for a new application. She said they can request new applications.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 3/10/2020 at 8:46 PM, Slug71 said:

I got through to someone really nice in the new application department. She said the letters for Optima are handled through the collection agency, and to call them for a new application. She said they can request new applications. emoji2369.png

I tried that too, quite a few times. They told me that they no longer have access once the debt is paid. It gets transferred to another Dept who handles the applications. They've also tried reaching out to other depts for me. 

Take advantage of the paranoia over coronavirus, sit down in front of the computer, open up Word or similar program and compose a professionally-styled letter to a named executive at American Express that outlines the sequence of events and what, specifically, you are looking for in the way of resolution.  They are easily identified in corporate filings.  Print out letter and place into envelope with appropriate postage.  Walk to the mailbox to deposit said letter and then exercise a modicum of patience. 

There are still some things that require doing things in the manner people of older generations did just as a matter of course...we didn't try to resolve everything by phone or fax (or worse, email). 

I tried that too, quite a few times. They told me that they no longer have access once the debt is paid. It gets transferred to another Dept who handles the applications. They've also tried reaching out to other depts for me. 
Yeh it seems like a muddy subject. I called in again the other day to see if I get a different answer, and I did. Apparently they now don't offer it anymore.
I did a quick google search that day and found 2 very recent threads on the myfico forum. Like as recently as last month, where someone paid off the debt and were then sent a application. That thread made it seem like the key is to pay off the debt first and then request an application.

I've had consistently good luck getting random oddball things resolved by contacting @AskAmex on Twitter.  

Don't expect instant gratification, but the reps there seem to know their way around the organization, and they are good with follow-up in exchange for your courtesy and patience (which you should your MO anyway).

Posted (edited)

I successfully set up my Optima repayment plan today. I’d received an invitation in the mail but lost it. I first called the number I found back a while in this thread—see photo—(800) 230-1284. That person looked up my account (this turned out to be Internal Collections with Amex) and said I needed to speak with his colleague, etc. He transferred me to a person in India who was able to pull up my account and “tag me for Optima.” This person seems to be the rep I’m assigned to. He told me his callback number is (877) 434-3248, x087. His name is Paul. I’m not sure if you just call him you can get started but I suppose you could try. Or maybe start with the number I dialed first.

I have a balance of around $2500. I set up a payment arrangement where I authorized ACH debits each payday until it is paid off. He is sending me the application for the Optima card and says I am still in the system as approved for $600. This is what the original invitation said. This keeps the account for dropping to collections and keeps my relationship with Amex intact. All in all they were professional and polite, better than most bill collectors.

669644E3-1B71-4B42-8B31-2ED5E2D76914.jpeg

Edited by L99

I’m thinking of it I left out a call. Process was:

1) Called 800-230-1284. This was a normal Amex account information line. They said my account was with a different department (Internal Collections) and had me hang up and call (877) 354-8148. I think you would START HERE if you received an Optima invitation.

2) This person looked up my info, etc. I asked this person if he was the Optima person and he said he wasn’t sure and I needed to speak with his colleague. He transferred me to someone in India. The phone connection was very poor, as is typical in India particularly as everyone has to work from home right now. So DON’T be sketched out by that. It may sound like it’s not legitimate, but I work for an Indian company and they don’t have the network access we take for granted in the US and Western Europe, especially during a pandemic and from their homes. So don’t worry about that, even though it’s annoying. It’s annoying for them as well.

3) Paul at the number I originally reported set me up with the Optima program and is re-sending the application.

I'm under the Optima program right now after paying off a $1200 gold card I walked away from nearly 7 years ago. I applied for the card from the letter I received after paying it off in December 2019. It's a 12 month program I guess to see how well I do with it to upgrade to something else. 

I was assigned an "agent" through the program. Payments were drafted monthly (I split it up into 3 payments). The paper I got to apply had to be physically mailed in.