Jump to content

Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.


Sign in to follow this  

AMEX regain card membership (with photos)

Recommended Posts

Hey CB,

 

I'm sharing my experience with AMEX after falling behind on payments and NOT utilizing their hardship program which I should have in the first place.

 

I used to have their PRG and I made plans to pay it off quickly once they canceled the card/account and while I was on payment plan with them I received their offer in mail to regain Card membership (pics below) if I paid off my balance on the PRG card and ANY other AMEX cards I have.

I thought it's too good to be true and searched here and elsewhere about this program (Optima) and couldn't find a definite answer but since I planned anyway to pay AMEX off I was like why not giving it a shot?

 

The real problem was to find or connected to an agent who understands the program because I had several unsuccessful attempts to find someone who knows what I am talking about in regards to this offer and almost all of them transferred me to the sales department to APPLY for new card and how this Optima card is NOT available anymore bla bla bla.

 

Finally got connected to an agent who understood and found an electronic copy of my old offer for Optima (regain card membership) and he said he's gonna mail me new/updated letter and while on the phone he got his Sup/manager to approve the offer and told me he is going to send me an application for Optima to fill out (took a week to get in the mail) and I have only 30 days from the date of application to mail it back. I did and 2 weeks after I got notified they pulled my Experian CR although THE LETTER says that I'm approved for the Optima card.

 

A week after Experian HP I got my card in mail with a $1,000 limit and they will put me on probation for 12 months to see how I will be handling this card lol. The card comes with a default $49 (AF).

 

So for those who suspects the existence of this Optima card and Regain Card Membership program, I'm confirming its true and I guess it's worth it.

 

Cheers. c90d006bd1fd76269922e24e3da4e9d2.jpgac9d38d0b7ab30b84694a07cf4358c7a.jpg

 

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

 

20190306_145449.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried this and never heard back from American Express. Everyone I've reached on all numbers I have called for them seemed to be unfamiliar with the application that was sent to me after settling the debt. By settling, I mean completely paying as agreed as stated in the terms. I'm unsure how you went about getting another application sent to you. I forked over quite a bit for the opportunity. I would've done it anyway, but not before taking care of other stuff had I known this would happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Martinnick said:

I have tried this and never heard back from American Express. Everyone I've reached on all numbers I have called for them seemed to be unfamiliar with the application that was sent to me after settling the debt. By settling, I mean completely paying as agreed as stated in the terms. I'm unsure how you went about getting another application sent to you. I forked over quite a bit for the opportunity. I would've done it anyway, but not before taking care of other stuff had I known this would happen.

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

  • Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

 

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Martinnick said:

Everyone I've reached on all numbers I have called for them seemed to be unfamiliar with the application that was sent to me after settling the debt.

To be clear, did you reach a settlement with Amex before providing the Optima Card, or did you negotiate with Amex before inviting the Optima Card to apply?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MP80 said:

To be clear, did you reach a settlement with Amex before providing the Optima Card, or did you negotiate with Amex before inviting the Optima Card to apply?

I went through the whole process of being contacted by American Express global collections and being offered the same exact opportunity as the OP. I completed payment to Amex right after the offer was extended. I have both the initial letter for the regaining card membership offer and the upper half of the application which I received after payment was given to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read through MP80's response a handful of times; I'm of the impression that the reply was run through a "translate to English" program.

 

I'll be interested in seeing what others advise here.  In MP80's shoes, I might simply try a cold application and see what the result is.  If declined, it's a good basis on reaching out to Amex and asking, having paid the outstanding debt, is there any means by which to re-establish a new account?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hdporter said:

I've read through MP80's response a handful of times; I'm of the impression that the reply was run through a "translate to English" program.

 

I'll be interested in seeing what others advise here.  In MP80's shoes, I might simply try a cold application and see what the result is.  If declined, it's a good basis on reaching out to Amex and asking, having paid the outstanding debt, is there any means by which to re-establish a new account?

Haha ... you are so funny, Mr. Potter! I already have a few Amices, but compared to you or the big boy, only a small portion totals $ 60K.

 

Mr. Porter: I assure you that I received this offered seven years ago from American Express under the name Oasis. Unfortunately, I do not accept the terms and conditions of the plan moving forward because you must strictly adhere to the price that American Express requires you to pay, no matter how much they insist you on paying first to be eligible for the plan. Now, I want to evaluate whether Mr. M paid off his bad debts before American Express made an offer to him or was it before paying off his debts, which may have changed a lot.

 

Mr. Porter, the Oasis Program as I know it is offered by invitation only. But, as you know, things can be changed very fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MP80 said:

Haha ... you are so funny, Mr. Potter! I already have a few Amices, but compared to you or the big boy, only a small portion totals $ 60K.

 

 

Well, yeah, I led off with a bit of light "tongue-in-cheek" humor ... and occasionally I fall astray of the mark I've targeted.  I wasn't looking to cause offense, and regret any that resulted.

 

Re your post: 

Quote

To be clear, did you reach a settlement with Amex before providing the Optima Card, or did you negotiate with Amex before inviting the Optima Card to apply?

 

Truth is, I get what you're asking here.  But, it runs quite astray of standard English usage.  The generally strong intelligence demonstrated in your posts on the whole suggests that English may not be your first language and a bit of a lapse is showing here.

 

If that's the case, trust that I don't think less of you (for that matter, I admire anyone who's ever tackled a second language with reasonable comprehension ... an achievement that I've failed at, despite a couple of rough attempts).  I have a good friend who lives in PA Dutch country -- he's first generation here from Germany.  He's a fine conversationalist, but stumbles a bit when it comes to written communication.  Fortunately, his very gracious wife lends a hand when needed.

 

I like the "Potter" thing ... and am both intentionally and unintentionally called that sufficiently frequently that I pretty much answer to that, as well as my actual last name "Porter".  (The fact that my first name is Harry keeps things interesting ;) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MP80 said:

To be clear, did you reach a settlement with Amex before providing the Optima Card, or did you negotiate with Amex before inviting the Optima Card to apply?

 

3 hours ago, Martinnick said:

I went through the whole process of being contacted by American Express global collections and being offered the same exact opportunity as the OP. I completed payment to Amex right after the offer was extended. I have both the initial letter for the regaining card membership offer and the upper half of the application which I received after payment was given to them.

Moving OP's response to the bottom, in case it was missed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hdporter said:

 

Well, yeah, I led off with a bit of light "tongue-in-cheek" humor ... and occasionally I fall astray of the mark I've targeted.  I wasn't looking to cause offense, and regret any that resulted.

 

Re your post: 

 

Truth is, I get what you're asking here.  But, it runs quite astray of standard English usage.  The generally strong intelligence demonstrated in your posts on the whole suggests that English may not be your first language and a bit of a lapse is showing here.

 

If that's the case, trust that I don't think less of you (for that matter, I admire anyone who's ever tackled a second language with reasonable comprehension ... an achievement that I've failed at, despite a couple of rough attempts).  I have a good friend who lives in PA Dutch country -- he's first generation here from Germany.  He's a fine conversationalist, but stumbles a bit when it comes to written communication.  Fortunately, his very gracious wife lends a hand when needed.

 

I like the "Potter" thing ... and am both intentionally and unintentionally called that sufficiently frequently that I pretty much answer to that, as well as my actual last name "Porter".  (The fact that my first name is Harry keeps things interesting ;) )

When I was at a community college, an English professor once told me that there were thousands of ways to write English, and I was in his English 1A class. Anyway, I am the third generation here. My grandfather came here in the 1930s. He worked hard all his life, and his wife's sister was fifteen years earlier than him at the age of 20 when she married aboard. The English speaking of both is very different. Grandmother's sister married a rancher who lived on 50 acres of her own land in rural areas, planted a variety of fruits and orchards for harvest, and then sold to Del-Monte to make canned peaches, apricots, and pears. Fifty years later, the family tree around her gradually grew to speak English slang, and the usage of English was different from my spoken and written style. It was true at the time, but it is understandable now. Haha. Compare people living in cities with hillbillies and hunks and their lifestyles. Chicken and duck meeting, which means that Orange and Apple are indifferent. So you have it. :D

 

Hey ... you're right! Somewhere on the quote, my sentence was entangled in some way, or nothing at all, but as long as you understand what it means, it's enough because it's related to credit issues, not English exams. And, Mr. Potter, there is no need to cause any regrets or insults, because there is none! Have a great day!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Martinnick said:

I went through the whole process of being contacted by American Express global collections and being offered the same exact opportunity as the OP. I completed payment to Amex right after the offer was extended. I have both the initial letter for the regaining card membership offer and the upper half of the application which I received after payment was given to them.

Ok. When was the debt paid to American Express? Recently or several months have passed, and if the latter is correct, I will call and ask why they postponed the issuance of your Optima card and follow their previous promise to restore the legitimacy provided to you to gain a foothold. I hope that helps and good luck with your reinstatement with American Express!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MP80 said:

Ok. When was the debt paid to American Express? Recently or several months have passed, and if the latter is correct, I will call and ask why they postponed the issuance of your Optima card and follow their previous promise to restore the legitimacy provided to you to gain a foothold. I hope that helps and good luck with your reinstatement with American Express!

This payment in full was recently. I received the application to regain card membership last month and promptly competed it and mailed it to American Express. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have patience...you sent the app via snail mail during the busiest time of the year for the USPS AND at a period where people who do the specialized processing are beginning to burn their must-use hours before the close of the calendar year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, centex said:

Have patience...you sent the app via snail mail during the busiest time of the year for the USPS AND at a period where people who do the specialized processing are beginning to burn their must-use hours before the close of the calendar year. 

Thank you so much for the optimism, maybe I am over reacting. I certainly hope that's the case, the application was dated for the first of November. I am just really worried about the 30 day limitation stated in the application as a received within timeframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Martinnick said:

This payment in full was recently. I received the application to regain card membership last month and promptly competed it and mailed it to American Express. Thank you for any help you can provide.

At present, Centex's results are similar to mine. I think you should wait patiently for 2 to 3 weeks before you start calling them. A few years ago, I was applying for an FNBO credit card and had to wait for 5 to 6 weeks to receive my card. Although this is a snail mail, this will cause both parties to slow down the sending and delivery of mail to locations and other aspects. If everything you said is correct, then I am sure you will be receiving the Optima card in the coming days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's now 12/19 and I haven't heard anything from American Express and the team who now handles those applications refused to take the call transfer or help in anyway. I was basically told "too bad, go apply for a regular Amex card". I doubt I'll ever be in this situation again, but if it helps anyone else reading this. Don't make it a priority to pay them first because they offered you a lie. Pay your debts in order of importance, don't get swindled like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So no conclusion has been reached. Did Amex send you a written rejection letter? If not, just wait. I think if your application is approved, you might only get $ 500 in SL. A few years back, they were more inclined towards a generous SL of $ 1000 quota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Martinnick said:

So it's now 12/19 and I haven't heard anything from American Express and the team who now handles those applications refused to take the call transfer or help in anyway. I was basically told "too bad, go apply for a regular Amex card". I doubt I'll ever be in this situation again, but if it helps anyone else reading this. Don't make it a priority to pay them first because they offered you a lie. Pay your debts in order of importance, don't get swindled like me.

It is disingenuous to allege you were "offered a lie" or "swindled." The program is something that has been around for several years and is very much a legitimate option for those who want to tend to their issues.  Remember that the need for the program would not exist but for a default that occurred in the first place. 

 

You have repeatedly overlooked that this is THE busiest time of the year to do anything snail mail or that requires people to be in their offices.  You didn't screw your credit up overnight and it doesn't resolve itself overnight.  Even those without screwed up credit sometimes have to wait for things to sort themselves out at this time of the year...and even at other times of the year.  By example, I believe it was three weeks after the approval of my BBT account before I had the plastic in my hand.  I also have a balance transfer through a different lender that was associated with an approval that I am still waiting to see process...again, dealing with the Postal Service and people doing things manually. 

 

So, for OTHERS who find this thread, do not hesitate to move forward with an acceptance of the offer.  It IS a legitimate program and it IS a great way to get back in the good graces of AXP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MP80 said:

So no conclusion has been reached. Did Amex send you a written rejection letter? If not, just wait. I think if your application is approved, you might only get $ 500 in SL. A few years back, they were more inclined towards a generous SL of $ 1000 quota.

No rejection letter. According to them, they haven't received any application yet to act upon. It's been well over a month at this point, almost 2. I highly doubt it takes that long to just receive the application, even if it's snail mail. But I've been wrong before and I don't have much choice other than to wait and see. Just to answer centex's response, some people still pay their bills by mail. If it took almost 2 months for the other party just to receive said bill, someone would be in trouble. Holidays or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 10:42 AM, Martinnick said:

No rejection letter. According to them, they haven't received any application yet to act upon. It's been well over a month at this point, almost 2. I highly doubt it takes that long to just receive the application, even if it's snail mail. But I've been wrong before and I don't have much choice other than to wait and see. Just to answer centex's response, some people still pay their bills by mail. If it took almost 2 months for the other party just to receive said bill, someone would be in trouble. Holidays or not.

Hey,

Sorry for LATE reply. I was away for few month. Its February 12, 2020 today, Any update to your Optima Regain Card Membership??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 6:18 PM, Mido said:

Hey,

Sorry for LATE reply. I was away for few month. Its February 12, 2020 today, Any update to your Optima Regain Card Membership??

That's okay, thank you for replying at all. I never received anything from American Express after submitting the application and I couldn't get anyone to send another one. I just gave up after endless calls to nearly every department they have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 7:01 PM, Martinnick said:

That's okay, thank you for replying at all. I never received anything from American Express after submitting the application and I couldn't get anyone to send another one. I just gave up after endless calls to nearly every department they have.

That sucks .. I went through my handwritten notes (almost 2 years old notes) :) and I found the number for that Optima Program. Give them a call and I hope whoever answers DOES KNOW about the OPTIMA CARD - Regain Card Membership. call this number Optima Card App 800-592-1176 and/or this number 800-230-1284 and after verifying yourself the first person who answers ask him/her if she know about this program so you dont waste your and their time.

Report back here if successful. Good Luck

Edited by Mido
EDITED to add another number I found for OPTIMA regain card membership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 8:23 PM, Mido said:

That sucks .. I went through my handwritten notes (almost 2 years old notes) :) and I found the number for that Optima Program. Give them a call and I hope whoever answers DOES KNOW about the OPTIMA CARD - Regain Card Membership. call this number Optima Card App 800-592-1176 and/or this number 800-230-1284 and after verifying yourself the first person who answers ask him/her if she know about this program so you dont waste your and their time.

Report back here if successful. Good Luck

Thank you so very much for your help. I really appreciate the effort. I tried both numbers. I did reach a couple people who were aware of the program, but they were unable to get me to anyone who could resend the application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      179,249
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    chris115
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines