Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
akmama08

OLD medical bill collections call! *help!*

Recommended Posts

Help!  I have an old medical bill that I just got a collections call about.  It was from 2012!  I got divorced shortly after and my ex was suppose to take on all the debt in our divorce (verbal agreement) to which he ended up filing bankruptcy (not ch7...can't remember which though).  This has me soo stressed out because he ruined my credit years earlier (2009 I had to file ch7) and that is about to fall off my reports.  I have worked really hard to clean up my credit, and build the last 5yrs or so.  My score went from the low 500s to now almost 800!  They did indicate that the debt was in both of our names.  They did not have my name right (changed my name back to maiden after divorce.  They started asking for addresses and employers to which I said I was not going to provide it, and hung up.  I don't know what to do!  I can't get ahold of my ex to confirm it was included in his bk.  I live in WA state. ETA: It is not reporting at all...yet, as far as I can tell.  
Thank you!  

  

Edited by akmama08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calm down, don't worry. The call was from a JDB ( junk debt buyer) who obtained your # and SOME account data from a data miner. It is NOT in any way shape or form a threat to your good credit. It is WAAAAY past the time when it is legally collectible and if the medical bill was from 2012 it is likely past the 7 year obsolescence time for being reported.

 

It is your good credit and possibly any recent mortgage loan application that has brought this scum scam CA crawling out from under the rocks. Opting out will help prevent this in the future.

 

Meantime, follow the guide;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

 

Opting out helps prevent your data from being SOLD by the CRAs to data miners.

Check all your reports carefully for ANY errors.

Try to get your old addresses deleted

 

If they call again tell them the call is being recorded and will be reported to the authorities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Why Chat said:

Calm down, don't worry. The call was from a JDB ( junk debt buyer) who obtained your # and SOME account data from a data miner. It is NOT in any way shape or form a threat to your good credit. It is WAAAAY past the time when it is legally collectible and if the medical bill was from 2012 it is likely past the 7 year obsolescence time for being reported.

 

It is your good credit and possibly any recent mortgage loan application that has brought this scum scam CA crawling out from under the rocks. Opting out will help prevent this in the future.

 

Meantime, follow the guide;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

 

Opting out helps prevent your data from being SOLD by the CRAs to data miners.

Check all your reports carefully for ANY errors.

Try to get your old addresses deleted

 

If they call again tell them the call is being recorded and will be reported to the authorities.

Thank you sooo much!  It might not be at exactly the 7yr mark, yet.  But this year it will be.  It is a small bill, which seems so silly they would come after it anyhow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Calm down, don't worry. The call was from a JDB ( junk debt buyer) who obtained your # and SOME account data from a data miner. It is NOT in any way shape or form a threat to your good credit. It is WAAAAY past the time when it is legally collectible and if the medical bill was from 2012 it is likely past the 7 year obsolescence time for being reported.

 

It is your good credit and possibly any recent mortgage loan application that has brought this scum scam CA crawling out from under the rocks. Opting out will help prevent this in the future.

 

Meantime, follow the guide;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

 

Opting out helps prevent your data from being SOLD by the CRAs to data miners.

Check all your reports carefully for ANY errors.

Try to get your old addresses deleted

 

If they call again tell them the call is being recorded and will be reported to the authorities.


Ex called and confirmed it was included in his bk.  I'm livid at these JDB!  Totally threw off my morning!  I can't wait for them to call back so I can give an ear full.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to tell you that you can look up your ex’s bankruptcy on pacer. The creditor list that is included in the bankruptcy will be found there. You will need to make an account and it is not the easiest site to navigate but I found my ex husbands bankruptcy documents there including the creditor list. 

I am not sure if having the documentation would be helpful for this case though. Just thought I would share in case this info would be helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, akmama08 said:

Ex called and confirmed it was included in his bk.

That does not necessarily absolve the former spouse from the debt.  If you were jointly responsible for the debt then his filing bankruptcy would not wipe out your obligation on the debt.  The other problem is the verbal agreement he would pay the debts in the divorce is that the creditors are not a party to that agreement.  Even a court order from the family court that he pay would not have removed your legal responsibility on the debts involved.  

 

If you were the insured or the patient you would still be responsible even though he filed for BK.  The good news is that the SOL to sue over the debt has lapsed  in WA state and this is probably a hail mary attempt to collect before the SOL for reporting expires.  I would not even engage them if they do call back.  You have nothing to gain.  If anything I would get an address and send them a cease and desist letter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CreditSucksNot said:

That does not necessarily absolve the former spouse from the debt.  If you were jointly responsible for the debt then his filing bankruptcy would not wipe out your obligation on the debt.  The other problem is the verbal agreement he would pay the debts in the divorce is that the creditors are not a party to that agreement.  Even a court order from the family court that he pay would not have removed your legal responsibility on the debts involved.  

 

If you were the insured or the patient you would still be responsible even though he filed for BK.  The good news is that the SOL to sue over the debt has lapsed  in WA state and this is probably a hail mary attempt to collect before the SOL for reporting expires.  I would not even engage them if they do call back.  You have nothing to gain.  If anything I would get an address and send them a cease and desist letter.  

I understand that you are trying to help this poster BUT!! your advice to contact the CA or to give any credence to the collection activities of a JDB in a medical debt is contrary to the HIPAA dispute program that has been developed over 10 years and has worked successfully for those who have used it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Why Chat said:

BUT!! your advice to contact the CA or to give any credence to the collection activities of a JDB in a medical debt is contrary to the HIPAA dispute program that has been developed over 10 years and has worked successfully for those who have used it. 

Your reading comprehension SUCKS.  I didn't advise them to contact ANYONE.  I said I would NOT engage them but if the CA did call the OP again I would get an address to send a cease and desist.  Learn to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CreditSucksNot said:

Your reading comprehension SUCKS.  I didn't advise them to contact ANYONE.  I said I would NOT engage them but if the CA did call the OP again I would get an address to send a cease and desist.  Learn to read.

A cease and desist IS a contact. Please refrain from insults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CreditSucksNot said:

Your reading comprehension SUCKS.  I didn't advise them to contact ANYONE.  I said I would NOT engage them but if the CA did call the OP again I would get an address to send a cease and desist.  Learn to read.

This is the only unofficial warning you'll get.  Be polite and respectful, or be gone.  Your choice.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. spigot
      spigot
      Age: 29
    2. tess41
      tess41
      Age: 46
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      176,069
    • Most Online
      1,528

    Newest Member
    Cbreezy
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×

Important Information

Guidelines