Sign in to follow this  
Burgerwars

Received a renewal debit card. No activation needed.

I'm grandfathered into GoBank's no monthly fee account. My renewal debit card arrived today. No activation required. Just start using the card. I found that odd, considering how often mail gets misdirected, lost or stolen. If the card was stolen, it's not like the thief would be living a life of luxury. I only have about $300 in GoBank.

Anyway, in case anyone is wondering, their new Visa debit card still doesn't have a chip on it.

Edited by Burgerwars

That's interesting and a highly questionable move by GoBank, I really wonder what their rationale is for NOT requiring card activation, especially on a Debit Card?

I have only had this experience once and it was last year with a Citi credit card.  Requested a replacement card due to damage, the replacement card arrived and did NOT have an updated expiration date or even a new CSC and the card did NOT require activation! That card could have easily been intercepted from the USPS and heavily used and I would not have know a thing until my Alerts started to activate.

Most card fraud uses online databases of hacked card info. The risks of card fraud from misdirected mail, which was dominant >20 years ago, is now almost insignificant and mostly involves household members intercepting mail.

That said, this raises questions of basic IT competence. Are there holes elsewhere? I would take my banking business elsewhere.

51 minutes ago, cashnocredit said:

Most card fraud uses online databases of hacked card info. The risks of card fraud from misdirected mail, which was dominant >20 years ago, is now almost insignificant and mostly involves household members intercepting mail.

That said, this raises questions of basic IT competence. Are there holes elsewhere? I would take my banking business elsewhere.

It's one of my sock-drawered cards I only use once in a while to keep it active. 

The mail carriers in my part of the world must be drunk. Plenty of mail placed in the wrong boxes. The post office's sorting equipment also causes mail being misdirected. Several years ago I mailed a $25 check. It was stolen out of the mail, altered to $825 and cashed. Wells Fargo Bank reimbursed me, but made me change my account number. Mail fraud still happens.

I would be leery of doing business with them. 

Their security or lack of could cost you if by chance (and it does happen) someone else got that card. Pin required to use it or not. 

Since it's a sock drawer card I would get rid of it.