Jump to content

cv91915

The Car Thread

Recommended Posts


Roughly five weeks after taking delivery of my new car (2019 BMW 750i), here is a running list of likes and dislikes:

 

Likes:

 

Comfort.  Seats are firm and supportive, and adjustable trillions of ways.

 

Handling (for its size).  In Sport mode it handles admirably well.  No one will mistake this vehicle for an M550i, but for a car the size of an aircraft carrier it does a remarkable job.  

 

Performance.  With the exception of the turbo lag, noted below, this car is f-a-s-t.

 

Fuel economy.  This wasn't a factor in choosing the car, but we got 30 mpg on the six-hour drive home from the dealer.  Remarkable.

 

Fuel cost.  The car will happily burn 89 octane (instead of 93 -- no one sells 91 here), so I can pull into any gas station and fill up with mid-grade for less per gallon than Costco charges for Premium.  Not that I went to Costco often for gas unless we were there anyway, but I often felt like I should.

 

Preemptively:  Which octane is [desirable / required / unconscionable / only purchased by fools] is beyond what I'm willing to debate in this thread.

 

Power sunshade in rear window.  Keeps the car cooler when closed.  I wish I'd gotten the package that has power sunshades in the rear passenger windows as well.

 

Electronic parking brake.  Electronically puts the car into Park at a stop sign/stop light.  Electronically puts the car back into gear when you touch the gas.  Saves on ankle fatigue when you drive in city traffic.  (Problem is I've gotten accustomed to having it, which isn't exactly an asset when I drive other vehicles that aren't equipped with this feature.)

 

Dislikes:

 

Turbo lag.  I strongly prefer normally-aspirated engines.  Most reviews of this 445-hp V8 vehicle state 0-60 times in the 4.2-4.4 second range, but from a dead stop it wastes 0.5 seconds thinking about accelerating.  Once it kicks in (and at higher speeds), it is definitely exhilarating, though.

 

Plastic interior trim.  The cover that can be closed to conceal the cup holders broke on the second day.  In general the interior is no match for the comparably-priced Mercedes S Class, but in particular the plastic surfaces and trim on the dash and center console are inexcusable on a > $100,000 car.

 

Climate control system

 

1) The air conditioning is woefully under-powered for 90+ degree days.  Set the temperature control to 65, and cool air merely trickles out of the vents.  I have to manually select "Max AC," which is barely adequate.  I experienced this in other 750s (new and used) as well, so this isn't a manufacturing defect in the car I got, it's a design flaw.

 

2) The vents in the center of the dash have touch-controlled "sliders" located directly under the vents themselves, which allow you to override the main temperature setting at the vent level.  These are easily bumped when adjusting the direction of each vent's airflow, which results in them delivering hot air even when the AC is is working feverishly to cool the car.

 

Ventilated seats.  Worthless.  Someone would have to tell you that they're running or you wouldn't notice, and even then it might take some convincing.  Yes, even on high.

 

Gimmicky trunk opener.  Supposedly with the key in your pocket you can make a "kicking" motion under the rear bumper, and that will open the trunk.  This is supposed to make it easier to deal stowing an armful of packages, groceries, etc., but it only works about 1 out of 20 attempts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Roughly five weeks after taking delivery of my new car (2019 BMW 750i), here is a running list of likes and dislikes:

 

Dislikes:

 

 

Turbo lag.  I strongly prefer normally-aspirated engines.  Most reviews of this 445-hp V8 vehicle state 0-60 times in the 4.2-4.4 second range, but from a dead stop it wastes 0.5 seconds thinking about accelerating.  Once it kicks in (and at higher speeds), it is definitely exhilarating, though.

 

Plastic interior trim.  The cover that can be closed to conceal the cup holders broke on the second day.  In general the interior is no match for the comparably-priced Mercedes S Class, but in particular the plastic surfaces and trim on the dash and center console are inexcusable on a > $100,000 car.

 

Climate control system

 

1) The air conditioning is woefully under-powered for 90+ degree days.  Set the temperature control to 65, and cool air merely trickles out of the vents.  I have to manually select "Max AC," which is barely adequate.  I experienced this in other 750s (new and used) as well, so this isn't a manufacturing defect in the car I got, it's a design flaw.

 

2) The vents in the center of the dash have touch-controlled "sliders" located directly under the vents themselves, which allow you to override the main temperature setting at the vent level.  These are easily bumped when adjusting the direction of each vent's airflow, which results in them delivering hot air even when the AC is is working feverishly to cool the car.

 

Ventilated seats.  Worthless.  Someone would have to tell you that they're running or you wouldn't notice, and even then it might take some convincing.  Yes, even on high.

 

Gimmicky trunk opener.  Supposedly with the key in your pocket you can make a "kicking" motion under the rear bumper, and that will open the trunk.  This is supposed to make it easier to deal stowing an armful of packages, groceries, etc., but it only works about 1 out of 20 attempts.

 

Plastic trim on a BMW 7-series?? Disappointing. Remember the A/C was designed in Germany. Where it doesn't get quite as hot as it does in SoCal, or Phoenix. At least maintenance is included. You did get included maintenance right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Plastic trim on a BMW 7-series?? Disappointing. Remember the A/C was designed in Germany. Where it doesn't get quite as hot as it does in SoCal, or Phoenix. At least maintenance is included. You did get included maintenance right?

The interior of the S550 is dramatically more sumptuous in both materials and design, and I preferred the exterior style as well.  Unfortunately, the S500 is excruciatingly dull to drive (in both sedan and coupe forms), and I don't drive enough to justify the cost of an S63.

 

New BMWs include maintenance for 3 years/36,000 miles, which is more than I'll need (lease is 36 months/7,500 miles a year). 

 

I anticipate needing to replace at least the rear tires while I have the car.  If I need brakes it'll probably to go a local shop (I'm told that these run ~$1,000/axle at the dealer).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way you should need brakes on that car unless you beat the holy hell out of it (tracking, etc.)

 

Ventilated seats only blow the cabin air through the seat, not any cooling, and you are correct they aren't adequate.  You can change the coding on the car to increase the speed of the fan to blow more air, but again it is only ambient temp air.  There are also other things you can change via coding as well that are pretty useful changes.

 

The trunk thing is a bit gimmicky and doesn't seem to work well at first, but that is more getting the hang of the location and technique (straight forward under the middle of the boot).  Even after not having issues activating I found myself barely using it.

 

Agree on the plastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's disappointing about the A/C and the ventilated seats, but BMW's interiors have been cheap since the Bangle years. The X5 I looked at was extremely disappointing, and they're made in the US so you know the quality is even worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

That's disappointing about the A/C and the ventilated seats, but BMW's interiors have been cheap since the Bangle years. The X5 I looked at was extremely disappointing, and they're made in the US so you know the quality is even worse.

I have had ventilated seats in 3 cars from 3 different manufacturers  and all have been sub-par and that is mainly due to it just pushing a small volume of ambient air.  It is a design issue.  If they somehow had it linked to the A/C system such that it pushed cooled air, and at a higher rate of flow, they might be useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

I have had ventilated seats in 3 cars from 3 different manufacturers  and all have been sub-par and that is mainly due to it just pushing a small volume of ambient air.  It is a design issue.  If they somehow had it linked to the A/C system such that it pushed cooled air, and at a higher rate of flow, they might be useful.

The seats in my Infiniti (sorry, my INFINITI) circulate air-conditioned air, and they're outstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

I have had ventilated seats in 3 cars from 3 different manufacturers  and all have been sub-par and that is mainly due to it just pushing a small volume of ambient air.  It is a design issue.  If they somehow had it linked to the A/C system such that it pushed cooled air, and at a higher rate of flow, they might be useful.

I've experienced them in Audi, Lincoln (and Ford), and Subaru, and all 3 have been pretty fantastic. Nice, cool air that keeps you fresh as a daisy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're having a recurring problem with the RX350.  

 

The front end shakes at various speeds.  Currently TAD reports the problem at 35-40, 70-75, and again at around 110 mph (he regularly leaves for the airport about 45 minutes before his flight is scheduled to depart, but that's a different thread).

 

Our independent mechanic said it needed wheel balancing, a service they don't do, so we had that done at Discount Tire.  

 

It was fine for a while, but the problem came back.

 

So we took it back to Discount Tire and they rebalanced again.  Problem went away, but came back later.

 

So we took it to the Lexus dealer.  It was due for its annual oil change anyway.  They recommended wheel balancing for $85.  :lol: 

 

I said no, we've done that three times, and Discount Tire does it for free.  So they balanced the wheels for free.  

 

The problem went a way for a few days and then came back.

 

Thoughts?  I told TAD to just get the Range Rover Velar he wants, but he's having none of that.  In the final analysis, he says he wouldn't want to haul mulch in it.

 

 

 

 

Edited by cv91915

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, cv91915 said:

We're having a recurring problem with the RX350.  

 

The front end shakes at various speeds.  Currently TAD reports the problem at 35-40, 70-75, and again at around 110 mph (he regularly leaves for the airport about 45 minutes before his flight is scheduled to depart, but that's a different thread).

 

Our independent mechanic said it needed wheel balancing, a service they don't do, so we had that done at Discount Tire.  

 

It was fine for a while, but the problem came back.

 

So we took it back to Discount Tire and they rebalanced again.  Problem went away, but came back later.

 

So we took it to the Lexus dealer.  It was due for its annual oil change anyway.  They recommended wheel balancing for $85.  :lol: 

 

I said no, we've done that three times, and Discount Tire does it for free.  So they balanced the wheels for free.  

 

The problem went a way for a few days and then came back.

 

Thoughts?  I told TAD to just get the Range Rover Velar he wants, but he's having none of that.  In the final analysis, he says he wouldn't want to haul mulch in it.

Have they actually attempted to remount the tire to get the dot (heavy spot, marked by either red or yellow paint on many tires) at the optimal location?  I see too many places where they just put the tire on the wheel and then put weights on where the machine tells them to do so, but they won't actually try to move the heavy spot around on the wheel. 

 

And yes, it CAN make a difference...have been through that on the Miata more than once...the NA's were/are notorious for the 65MPH shimmy.  Put the heavy spot in the correct location and it makes a world of difference.  And while the Miata is a different beast than the RX350, the principle remains the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, centex said:

Have they actually attempted to remount the tire to get the dot (heavy spot, marked by either red or yellow paint on many tires) at the optimal location?  I see too many places where they just put the tire on the wheel and then put weights on where the machine tells them to do so, but they won't actually try to move the heavy spot around on the wheel. 

 

And yes, it CAN make a difference...have been through that on the Miata more than once...the NA's were/are notorious for the 65MPH shimmy.  Put the heavy spot in the correct location and it makes a world of difference.  And while the Miata is a different beast than the RX350, the principle remains the same. 

I honestly have no idea.  Wouldn't at least one of the three trained/experienced people have known to do that?

 

The tread is down to 5/32 so I'm thinking about just getting new tires.  

 

After we bought the car, but before we took delivery, the sales guy said, "Hey, we had a customer take an almost new set of tires off another RX, and we can't resell them.  We'll put them on for free too if you want them."  

 

We jumped at the offer, but they've always been loud, awful tires.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a dumb coworker. Well, I actually have many, but this one is special. Her car is junk. It's only 3 years old, and has been at the dealer more often than not. Monday she comes in all in a huff because it's broken again, and she's buying a new one this weekend.

 

 

She's buying the exact same thing she has now, but a 2019. Yes, please buy the same exact thing that keeps giving you grief. Brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, centex said:

Have they actually attempted to remount the tire to get the dot (heavy spot, marked by either red or yellow paint on many tires) at the optimal location?  I see too many places where they just put the tire on the wheel and then put weights on where the machine tells them to do so, but they won't actually try to move the heavy spot around on the wheel. 

 

And yes, it CAN make a difference...have been through that on the Miata more than once...the NA's were/are notorious for the 65MPH shimmy.  Put the heavy spot in the correct location and it makes a world of difference.  And while the Miata is a different beast than the RX350, the principle remains the same. 

This^^^  The red dot should always align with the valve stem.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The front end shakes at various speeds.  Currently TAD reports the problem at 35-40, 70-75, and again at around 110 mph (he regularly leaves for the airport about 45 minutes before his flight is scheduled to depart, but that's a different thread).
 
Thoughts?  I told TAD to just get the Range Rover Velar he wants, but he's having none of that.  In the final analysis, he says he wouldn't want to haul mulch in it.


How many tickets, moving violation kind not the flight kind, does TAD have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, credit_help said:

How many tickets, moving violation kind not the flight kind, does TAD have?

 

I think the better question is, "How did he get an RX350 to go 110?"

 

He actually said it's the worst between 110 and 115, but according to my cursory research the top speed of that car is 112 mph.

 

(I guess that doesn't make him wrong)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

I have a dumb coworker. Well, I actually have many, but this one is special. Her car is junk. It's only 3 years old, and has been at the dealer more often than not. Monday she comes in all in a huff because it's broken again, and she's buying a new one this weekend.

 

 

She's buying the exact same thing she has now, but a 2019. Yes, please buy the same exact thing that keeps giving you grief. Brilliant.

Have some fun with her...remind her to make sure the dealer confirms it was not a Monday car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I think the better question is, "How did he get an RX350 to go 110?"

 

He actually said it's the worst between 110 and 115, but according to my cursory research the top speed of that car is 112 mph.

 

(I guess that doesn't make him wrong)

Accounting for the margins of error that the speedometers always seem to have, more apt guess is that it is worst at about 103-105 LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if he gets pulled over he can tell the officer that he thought the speedo was in Turkish values, which is roughly only 20% of US values, so in his mind he was only doing 22 or so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have a dumb coworker. Well, I actually have many, but this one is special. Her car is junk. It's only 3 years old, and has been at the dealer more often than not. Monday she comes in all in a huff because it's broken again, and she's buying a new one this weekend.
 
 
She's buying the exact same thing she has now, but a 2019. Yes, please buy the same exact thing that keeps giving you grief. Brilliant.
Stop!

No one can possibly be that stupid.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Why is brown leather trendy?

I have the same questions about black wheels.  

 

I hate them both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I have the same questions about black wheels.  

 

I hate them both.

I had both on my last car . 👍

 

Generally I prefer black or gunmetal wheels to chrome or polished.  As far as the brown interior it can be hit or miss, depends on the car and shade.

 

Of course these are both perfectly subjective.  Just like the Bentley I saw the other day that was burnt orange.  I understand people like the Longhorns around here, but denigrating a beautiful $300k+ car by having it painted that color is a disgrace.  I saw another one that was a brown with a sparkle or flaked paint...it looked like someone ate a pile of tinsel and then took a shit.

Edited by CTSoxFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The brown leather grew on me. I've learned to like it. Black wheels have always and will always look awful, and will age like bananas. Gunmetal accents I like, black-painted looks wicked cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.





  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      177,981
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    kendell.baldwin
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines