cv91915

The Car Thread

49 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

No, that's how he ended up with this Prius.

A car was his gift for finishing his Ph.D.  

Any car, regardless of price.  

So why not a Prius 2?

Now I get it...and you still married him.  He must have some damn good redeeming qualities, as obviously he is lacking judgement when it comes to choice of vehicle!

Now that we know he is a Ph.D. do we have to start calling him Dr. TAD, or Dr. D?

21 minutes ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Miata or Porsche? I need a summer car.

I wouldn't drive a Miata to a cock fight.

20 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I wouldn't drive a Miata to a cock fight.

You have a Prius. Opinion invalid. 🤣

It would be an NA or an ND. I can't fit in an NB and the NCs are fat, bloated pigs. They're as close to a classic British sports car as you can get. Except they're reliable.

Porsche would have to be a 911 but the IMS bearing scares me.

18 minutes ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

You have a Prius. Opinion invalid. 🤣

It would be an NA or an ND. I can't fit in an NB and the NCs are fat, bloated pigs. They're as close to a classic British sports car as you can get. Except they're reliable.

Porsche would have to be a 911 but the IMS bearing scares me.

I married someone with a Prius, although I'm not entirely sure if this distinction works in my favor.

22 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I married someone with a Prius, although I'm not entirely sure if this distinction works in my favor.

No, I don't think it does. You married a person who thought a Prius was the best option available. Their taste is in question, and by default, so is yours. 😄

19 minutes ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

No, I don't think it does. You married a person who thought a Prius was the best option available. Their taste is in question, and by default, so is yours. 😄

I married a person whose parents said, "Congratulations on getting your Ph.D.  Pick any car sold in the U.S., and it's on us."

He went to Turkey a few months later and came back with $23,000 in hundred dollar bills.

18 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I married a person whose parents said, "Congratulations on getting your Ph.D.  Pick any car sold in the U.S., and it's on us."

He went to Turkey a few months later and came back with $23,000 in hundred dollar bills.

And he still picked a Prius. Invalidated. 🤣

I thought about having a quirky, old, real British or Italian roadster but I want something I can comfortably expect will start and run when I want it to. I found a few MGs and Fiat Spyders locally and they're cool and all but...nah. I already have one classic temperamental German in the garage.

21 minutes ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

And he still picked a Prius. Invalidated. 🤣

I thought about having a quirky, old, real British or Italian roadster but I want something I can comfortably expect will start and run when I want it to. I found a few MGs and Fiat Spyders locally and they're cool and all but...nah. I already have one classic temperamental German in the garage.

To answer your original question, a 911.

25 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

To answer your original question, a 911.

I could get a brand new, loaded Miata for the price of a 911. And I wouldn't have to worry about mechanical issues. See my dilemma? 🤬 I have a hard time dropping $35K on a nearly 20-year old car. 

22 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

I could get a brand new, loaded Miata for the price of a 911. And I wouldn't have to worry about mechanical issues. See my dilemma? 🤬 I have a hard time dropping $35K on a nearly 20-year old car. 

But it's a Miata.  

What's the budget for this toy?

34 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

But it's a Miata.  

What's the budget for this toy?

You say that like it's a bad thing. The Miata is one of the few actual enthusiast cars left made today. Budget-wise, I'm saying $40K? I don't know. The cheaper the better, obviously.

4 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. The Miata is one of the few actual enthusiast cars left made today. Budget-wise, I'm saying $40K? I don't know. The cheaper the better, obviously.

I do.  I would rather have CV's prissy, I mean Prius.  I have never liked Miatas, or Mazdas for that matter.  Different strokes for different folks.

With 40k, I would be looking at a late model Boxster, Audi TT conv or BMW m240i conv. (the last of which I owned at one point), but that is my preference for German cars.

23 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

I do.  I would rather have CV's prissy, I mean Prius.  I have never liked Miatas, or Mazdas for that matter.  Different strokes for different folks.

With 40k, I would be looking at a late model Boxster, Audi TT conv or BMW m240i conv. (the last of which I owned at one point), but that is my preference for German cars.

TT is an absolute no. It's just a VW Bug with the top chopped off. If I'm getting a Porsche, it has to be a real Porsche, not a Boxster. Though I could possibly get a sweet lease deal on a 918...🤔 BMW has turned into the German Buick so that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The M2 is nice, but more than I want to spend for a car that wouldn't be as good as a simple Miata. I just want a simple, rear wheel drive, manual transmission car that's fun to drive. I added the S2000 to my list as well but they hold their value shockingly well.

The RX350 is going to need tires soon. 

It currently has 235/60R18XL (Extra Load -- whatever that is) on these 18" wheels.

It looks like the OEM tires were 235/55R18.

Other things equal, shouldn't I put the original size back on this shitty car?  

Is there an advantage to a slightly larger diameter, aside from fooling me into thinking I'm not driving quite as fast?

50 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

The RX350 is going to need tires soon. 

It currently has 235/60R18XL (Extra Load -- whatever that is) on these 18" wheels.

It looks like the OEM tires were 235/55R18.

Other things equal, shouldn't I put the original size back on this shitty car?  

Is there an advantage to a slightly larger diameter, aside from fooling me into thinking I'm not driving quite as fast?

The XL/extra load just means the tires are rated to carry more weight.  Useful if you were towing or carting around heavy cargo in the back.  From what I know of you and TAD, not applicable here, so there is no need for the larger sidewall/extra load capacity.  That said they won't hurt if you happen to find a set of those cheaper than the 235/55/18s. 

did you see the review of the 8501 convertible? headline is "just like a Bentley!!"

1 hour ago, CTSoxFan said:

The XL/extra load just means the tires are rated to carry more weight.  Useful if you were towing or carting around heavy cargo in the back.  From what I know of you and TAD, not applicable here, so there is no need for the larger sidewall/extra load capacity.  That said they won't hurt if you happen to find a set of those cheaper than the 235/55/18s. 

Thank you.

These are the worst tires I've ever had, and I'm glad they're almost worn out.  They're really loud, and they screech in protest on even the slightest of curves.

I had to replace one a couple of years ago, and the only places I could find the brand ("Fuzion") were Tire Rack and W*****t.  

I will keep an eye open for both sizes as I take a stab at finding a new set.

49 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Thank you.

These are the worst tires I've ever had, and I'm glad they're almost worn out.  They're really loud, and they screech in protest on even the slightest of curves.

I had to replace one a couple of years ago, and the only places I could find the brand ("Fuzion") were Tire Rack and W*****t.  

I will keep an eye open for both sizes as I take a stab at finding a new set.

Last time I needed tires for my cars, I bought them on Tire Rack and had a mobile installer come to the house to do the install.  Well worth it to not have to sit in a tire shop for 1-2 hours waiting for them to do the work.  Costco is another good option as you can kill the time shopping while you wait.

29 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

Last time I needed tires for my cars, I bought them on Tire Rack and had a mobile installer come to the house to do the install.  Well worth it to not have to sit in a tire shop for 1-2 hours waiting for them to do the work.  Costco is another good option as you can kill the time shopping while you wait.

Last time I got tires at Costco, I ended up spending more on stuff I bought while waiting than I did my tires. Oops.

4 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Last time I got tires at Costco, I ended up spending more on stuff I bought while waiting than I did my tires. Oops.

You know its against policy to go through the checkouts at Costco for less than $100 right?

13 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

You know its against policy to go through the checkouts at Costco for less than $100 right?

I thought it was $200?