The Car Thread

cv91915

9 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

I'm just going to continue pampering my little 2015 Versa Note. Keep her running smooth.

That's 7 years newer than our TAD's vehicle, which has a lot of life left in it.  :) 

He still adores it, and can't imagine why anyone would want to replace a car that's so -- and I'm quoting -- "poofy."

I once thought that there may be some nuance in the translation, but

1MMuGO7.png 

Last night at dinner we briefly discussed the Turkish-made Anadol.

Still digging for more relevant references than this one in a completely unrelated story, but T swears that cows ate the body panels on these.  

Osman picked me in his “marvelous” Anadol car – according to a city legend cows loved eating the fiber-body of that “Turkish-made” car – and all the way on that long road from the airport to our student home we discussed when the generals would take over. 

111209985.jpg?crop=1xw:0.8xh;center,top& 

I love these pictures from a 2011 Autoweek story called "Ottomobiles."  

111209985-3.jpg 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 8:25 AM, cv91915 said:

Last night at dinner we briefly discussed the Turkish-made Anadol.

Still digging for more relevant references than this one in a completely unrelated story, but T swears that cows ate the body panels on these.  

Osman picked me in his “marvelous” Anadol car – according to a city legend cows loved eating the fiber-body of that “Turkish-made” car – and all the way on that long road from the airport to our student home we discussed when the generals would take over. 

111209985.jpg?crop=1xw:0.8xh;center,top& 

I love these pictures from a 2011 Autoweek story called "Ottomobiles."  

111209985-3.jpg 

That second one looks like what one would expect to see if a early 70's Capri mated with a Datsun 240.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:12 PM, hegemony said:

SMFH

spacer.png

and then when you thought it be crazy...

spacer.png

This is why if you were every considering a Tesla now is the time.  No pricing BS at the dealership...online price is same for everyone.

That said, there are always deals to be had if you find a motivated dealer...

I've been kicking around options for replacing my car when the lease is up early next summer.

... but unless the market changes considerably, I think I'll just buy the car for RV and wait it out for a while.  

The reason I'm thinking about this now is because generally speaking the most appealing deals are on ordered units, and the lead time on the main contender is about 6 months.

We can get by with one Mudmobile for a while with little inconvenience, so I can always turn the current car in and order something then.  

T's car also should be replaced.  I suggested replacing both with one we'd both really enjoy, but apparently there isn't such a thing.

12 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

I bought an A6 in October to wait out the weird market and will go back to leasing when it normalizes....if it ever does. Apparently, if you want the best deal, German luxury sedans are where it's at. People are paying thousands over MSRP for freakin' Kias these days.

Its easy to agree to pay over MSRP when the purchaser has no intention of MAKING a payment...

Locally, I have seen a lot of the hooks coming by the second and third day of the month.  Repo business is booming!

12 hours ago, centex said:

Its easy to agree to pay over MSRP when the purchaser has no intention of MAKING a payment...

Locally, I have seen a lot of the hooks coming by the second and third day of the month.  Repo business is booming!

I almost ordered a Jeep Wrangler 4XE because they lease STUPID cheap, and people are flipping them for thousands more than they pay if they order at MSRP. We're talking $4xx/month for a $63K MSRP Jeep. But the idea of a Hybrid Wrangler just seems weird to me, and with my luck I'd be stuck with the awful thing.

5 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

I almost ordered a Jeep Wrangler 4XE because they lease STUPID cheap, and people are flipping them for thousands more than they pay if they order at MSRP. We're talking $4xx/month for a $63K MSRP Jeep. But the idea of a Hybrid Wrangler just seems weird to me, and with my luck I'd be stuck with the awful thing.

Camaro LT1 has also been a bright spot in leasing.

Talk about stigma.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, hegemony said:

Some neat cars on that site. I'm curious if the collector car market will make it through another generation? Those of us that grew up in the 60's have fondness for the older cars, and knew how to wrench on them, while my kids and their friends don't have a clue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...