The Car Thread

4 hours ago, hegemony said:

the 75k is a "market adjustment"

I have no idea what he's been smoking.

Market adjustments have gotten out of hand in the wake of this 'chip shortage' nonsense. 

The '18 Spider I just acquired was listed for more than what I could likely have gotten it for NEW in '18.  I didn't pay what they were asking and apparently people were not lined up to do so, but I have also seen brand new, never titled, manual tranny Spiders disappearing nationwide at close to sticker.  Imagine that...an ORPHAN for close to sticker. 

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've driven like an a-hole since I got my first car keys, but I've never gotten more middle fingers per hour of driving than in the BMW I have here at the mud hut.   This morning in three la

I just walked out of my house yesterday with a "I'm going for a drive" and that ended up being a 100 mile joyride to the SC border and back.   There may have been loud music and scream singi

That's an offer from the manufacturer's captive finance company.     The catch appears to be that the 0% APR disqualifies you from many/most other types of incentives on the same vehicle.

Posted Images

I've driven like an a-hole since I got my first car keys, but I've never gotten more middle fingers per hour of driving than in the BMW I have here at the mud hut.

This morning in three lanes of light traffic I went around the minivan that was going 15 mph under the limit, and slowed down and then stopped normally at a stop light.

In my rearview mirror I could see the minivan driver giving me the middle finger with both hands, so I reached over and pressed the button to close the peasant blocker in the back window. 

To my delight, his wife started laughing at him hysterically. 

On 7/14/2021 at 7:48 AM, cv91915 said:

I've driven like an a-hole since I got my first car keys, but I've never gotten more middle fingers per hour of driving than in the BMW I have here at the mud hut.

This morning in three lanes of light traffic I went around the minivan that was going 15 mph under the limit, and slowed down and then stopped normally at a stop light.

In my rearview mirror I could see the minivan driver giving me the middle finger with both hands, so I reached over and pressed the button to close the peasant blocker in the back window. 

To my delight, his wife started laughing at him hysterically. 

I was always tempted to add a friendly message to the sunshade in the back window.

4 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

There's a reason BMWs (and their owners) are compared to female hygienic cleansing devices.

It's the 7 Series specifically that brings out the hatred in everyone.

The 550 mostly attracts 20-somethings who want to race.

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

It's the 7 Series specifically that brings out the hatred in everyone.

The 550 mostly attracts 20-somethings who want to race.

Oh I know. The company owner from two employers ago leased two BMW 750iL's for his sons to drive.

• 3 weeks later...

So DW's lease is up in a couple of months and we were looking for a replacement.  Even though it isn't the greatest time to buy a car, she was dead set against keeping her current car (BMW SUV), even though it is very low mileage and in excellent shape.  On the plus side, I should be able to unload it for a couple of thousand above the buyout, which is a plus. 

This go around she narrowed it down to 3 options in the smaller/mid-sized sedan realm, a BMW 340i xdrive, Audi S4 and Tesla model 3 performance.  After driving 2 of the 3 (the Audi guy blew us off when we asked for a test drive at the house), we went with the Tesla.  I know they are polarizing and not for everyone, but we really enjoyed the ride and the performance model goes like a raped ape.  The interior front seats are extremely comfortable IMO (review say the back not so much, however we rarely have anyone in the back).  It will take some getting used to, including the braking system and not have a traditional dash, but we are looking forward to something new.  After owning 6 Audis and 7 BMWs between the two of us over the years, we were due for a change.  The model we chose has 315 miles of range before needing a charge, sufficient to get anywhere locally and drive to the two nearest major cities as well.

A couple of side notes. 

- Car inventories right now are so scarce, I don't know how they sell anything.  I have never seen a BMW lot so empty as it was when we went.  We had to test drive a used 2020 340 because they didn't have any new ones in stock...at either of the 2 dealers within driving distance.  Same deal with the S4, only one around.

- Tesla does the test drive process right. Instead of some shitty loop stuck with a sales dork who usually knows less about the car than I do and has a horrid case of bad breath, they basically walk you through it for 5-10 minutes then give you the key and tell you to come back in 45 minutes.  So much more freedom to really try out the car.

- With Tesla there is no negotiation, the price is the price.  I am usually able to score a much better than average deal on my car transactions, so that is a downside.  Also very few options to choose from. If you want an easy car purchase process, it really doesn't get any easier.  Also none of the BS dealing with them trying to screw you with the 4-blocker and the back and forth 15 times with the manager nonsense.

- We ordered the wall charger, which adds about $1,000 to your cost (installed).  I could've probably done it myself and saved the install fee which is roughly half.

Will report back once we get it and have some driving experience.

On 8/10/2021 at 12:17 PM, CTSoxFan said:

So DW's lease is up in a couple of months and we were looking for a replacement.  Even though it isn't the greatest time to buy a car, she was dead set against keeping her current car (BMW SUV), even though it is very low mileage and in excellent shape.  On the plus side, I should be able to unload it for a couple of thousand above the buyout, which is a plus. 

This go around she narrowed it down to 3 options in the smaller/mid-sized sedan realm, a BMW 340i xdrive, Audi S4 and Tesla model 3 performance.  After driving 2 of the 3 (the Audi guy blew us off when we asked for a test drive at the house), we went with the Tesla.  I know they are polarizing and not for everyone, but we really enjoyed the ride and the performance model goes like a raped ape.  The interior front seats are extremely comfortable IMO (review say the back not so much, however we rarely have anyone in the back).  It will take some getting used to, including the braking system and not have a traditional dash, but we are looking forward to something new.  After owning 6 Audis and 7 BMWs between the two of us over the years, we were due for a change.  The model we chose has 315 miles of range before needing a charge, sufficient to get anywhere locally and drive to the two nearest major cities as well.

A couple of side notes. 

- Car inventories right now are so scarce, I don't know how they sell anything.  I have never seen a BMW lot so empty as it was when we went.  We had to test drive a used 2020 340 because they didn't have any new ones in stock...at either of the 2 dealers within driving distance.  Same deal with the S4, only one around.

- Tesla does the test drive process right. Instead of some shitty loop stuck with a sales dork who usually knows less about the car than I do and has a horrid case of bad breath, they basically walk you through it for 5-10 minutes then give you the key and tell you to come back in 45 minutes.  So much more freedom to really try out the car.

- With Tesla there is no negotiation, the price is the price.  I am usually able to score a much better than average deal on my car transactions, so that is a downside.  Also very few options to choose from. If you want an easy car purchase process, it really doesn't get any easier.  Also none of the BS dealing with them trying to screw you with the 4-blocker and the back and forth 15 times with the manager nonsense.

- We ordered the wall charger, which adds about $1,000 to your cost (installed).  I could've probably done it myself and saved the install fee which is roughly half.

Will report back once we get it and have some driving experience.

Did you get one before or after the most recent MSRP increase(s)?

True, no haggling, but they do adjust the MSRP as the market changes. 

Other manufacturers just change incentives from month to month, and paying MSRP minus incentives is what the market is doing right now, to a large extent. 

I'm excluding the idiots who are paying $10k over for a Kia Tampon.

I just can't get over Tesla quality, and this is coming from someone who grew up with 90s GM products. 

I'm not struggling with finding a new car to buy. I'm struggling to even decide on what I want to buy. Nothing interests me right now. I've looked at: Lexus GX460, Audi SQ5, Mazda Miata....or toyed with finding a 2018 A5 with a manual transmission since they're, unfortunately, a dying breed and the days of getting them are vanishing.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

I just can't get over Tesla quality, and this is coming from someone who grew up with 90s GM products. 

I'm not struggling with finding a new car to buy. I'm struggling to even decide on what I want to buy. Nothing interests me right now. I've looked at: Lexus GX460, Audi SQ5, Mazda Miata....or toyed with finding a 2018 A5 with a manual transmission since they're, unfortunately, a dying breed and the days of getting them are vanishing.

There are deals right now on the A8L and the hybrid version.  They're leasing starting in the $700s + tax (obviously they go way up from there depending how they're equipped).

My 750 lease isn't up until June of next year, but if it was only a couple of months out I'd jump into one of these early while there's a bunch of trunk money and the Costco Audi promo is still out there.

Edited by cv91915
On 8/11/2021 at 8:28 AM, cv91915 said:

Did you get one before or after the most recent MSRP increase(s)?

True, no haggling, but they do adjust the MSRP as the market changes. 

Other manufacturers just change incentives from month to month, and paying MSRP minus incentives is what the market is doing right now, to a large extent. 

I'm excluding the idiots who are paying $10k over for a Kia Tampon.

The variant I purchased (performance) has not changed base price since April, and from my memory I think the options are still the same price as well.  

19 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

This was our issue as well.  Nothing excited us in the size/price point we were looking at.  We have had a number of BMWs and Audis, so this was as much for something different as it was about the car.  If we love it, great, if not we'll get something else in a couple of years.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:46 PM, cv91915 said:

Car went in on Tuesday with 8.166 miles on it.

I need rear tires.  :lol: 

Depending on the car, that COULD be a third set...with a heavy right foot and the correctly equipped vehicle ;)

But yeah, I'm sensing that you had the Bravo Sierra service variant...

So I am in the process of unloading the BMW X3 and the new Tesla should be here in the next couple of weeks.  I got quotes from 4 online places, and Vroom was the highest at ~$3,000 over the current lease buyout.  What is interesting is that there are many companies (Honda/Nissan/Toyota/Volvo and others) now prohibiting dealers of another make from buying out a lease, requiring the lessee buy out the car and then sell to the dealer.  This causes an issue because the lessee will likely need to pay sales tax on the purchase transaction, skewing the dynamics of the deal.  Thankfully BMW is not one of those companies.

It will be interesting to see if Vroom holds to their initial valuation.  I did indicate there are a couple of small dings on the passenger side (likely from doors - no paint damage), but I am waiting for the whole bait and switch.  I have another company with a backup offer and the local BMW dealer said they would give me a price at ~$2,000 above buyout, so I can tell them to FOAD if they pull any crap.  Will post update on how the transaction goes.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:25 AM, CTSoxFan said:

So I am in the process of unloading the BMW X3 and the new Tesla should be here in the next couple of weeks.  I got quotes from 4 online places, and Vroom was the highest at ~$3,000 over the current lease buyout.  What is interesting is that there are many companies (Honda/Nissan/Toyota/Volvo and others) now prohibiting dealers of another make from buying out a lease, requiring the lessee buy out the car and then sell to the dealer.  This causes an issue because the lessee will likely need to pay sales tax on the purchase transaction, skewing the dynamics of the deal.  Thankfully BMW is not one of those companies.

It will be interesting to see if Vroom holds to their initial valuation.  I did indicate there are a couple of small dings on the passenger side (likely from doors - no paint damage), but I am waiting for the whole bait and switch.  I have another company with a backup offer and the local BMW dealer said they would give me a price at ~$2,000 above buyout, so I can tell them to FOAD if they pull any crap.  Will post update on how the transaction goes.

Quick update.  I initially was going to sell to vroom and shift ended up beating their offer by ~$100 after I told them I had a better offer.  Plan was to go down path with both and see if they tried anything funny.  Shift was super easy to work with, showed up when they said they would, and was fair on the evaluation (only deducted $65 for some curb rash on one of the wheels, nothing for the 2 door dings), plus they give you an extra $200 for having all the paperwork in order.  Car was taken away yesterday and got notice today everything approved and final payment has been initiated (they have 2 biz days to have further mechanical inspection done looking for frame damage, odo rollbacks, etc - stuff the evaluator wouldn't be able to see).  I would definitely recommend going with them.

The extra $3,000 pays for the wall charger and window tinting, with extra left over to put towards the taxes/reg.

Meanwhile I am still waiting to hear back from vroom...

Edited by CTSoxFan
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My car's remote key stopped working and won't unlock the driver's door. I have tried using the key turning counter clock wise and no cigar. Oh and DH changed the battery in the remote and nothing. I have tried holding down the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for several seconds too and nothing. So I guess I'll have my car towed to the dealership to probably get a new key remote and have them program it. Car is parked in our driveway with alarm engaged. Damn!!! I do have free towing with my car insurance up to 75 miles.

Any other suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

8 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

My car's remote key stopped working and won't unlock the driver's door. I have tried using the key turning counter clock wise and no cigar. Oh and DH changed the battery in the remote and nothing. I have tried holding down the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for several seconds too and nothing. So I guess I'll have my car towed to the dealership to probably get a new key remote and have them program it. Car is parked in our driveway with alarm engaged. Damn!!! I do have free towing with my car insurance up to 75 miles.

Any other suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Alarm is engaged...oh boy.  That driver may have a very raucous trip to the dealership. 

Silly question, but can you get to the battery of the vehicle?  If so, you MIGHT be able to hook a charger up...the Jag community had discovered a quirk in the diagnostic port that would result in many batteries never 'going to sleep' following access on an inspection or code-reader.  If the program had not completely closed before disconnecting from the car, some circuit remained engaged and would kill the battery in a few days.  Not bricked, but to the point nothing would work.  In my case, the door was unlocked and I could get to a jump port under the hood, then charge long enough to get to the battery (under the rear hatch).

6 hours ago, centex said:

Alarm is engaged...oh boy.  That driver may have a very raucous trip to the dealership. 

Silly question, but can you get to the battery of the vehicle?  If so, you MIGHT be able to hook a charger up...the Jag community had discovered a quirk in the diagnostic port that would result in many batteries never 'going to sleep' following access on an inspection or code-reader.  If the program had not completely closed before disconnecting from the car, some circuit remained engaged and would kill the battery in a few days.  Not bricked, but to the point nothing would work.  In my case, the door was unlocked and I could get to a jump port under the hood, then charge long enough to get to the battery (under the rear hatch).

Tow truck driver (David) was able to use my key to get into my car and I turned the alarm off by unlocking the driver's door from the inside. Car battery is fine. It's a faulty old worn key remote. So I drove to the dealership and they're getting me two key remotes and programming them. The old key will be useless. I never had a spare key when I bought my car used. Now I'll have a back up.

Thanks very much @Centex for responding. I appreciate your help.

On 7/6/2021 at 10:17 AM, centex said:

Market adjustments have gotten out of hand in the wake of this 'chip shortage' nonsense. 

The '18 Spider I just acquired was listed for more than what I could likely have gotten it for NEW in '18.  I didn't pay what they were asking and apparently people were not lined up to do so, but I have also seen brand new, never titled, manual tranny Spiders disappearing nationwide at close to sticker.  Imagine that...an ORPHAN for close to sticker. 

It gets better...AutoNation was offering $19K a few months ago...CarMax is now offering $23K.  As much as I actually like having found what I wanted at a reasonable price, I have to say that a quick $6K for six months of use is worthy of consideration...

8 hours ago, centex said:

It gets better...AutoNation was offering $19K a few months ago...CarMax is now offering $23K.  As much as I actually like having found what I wanted at a reasonable price, I have to say that a quick $6K for six months of use is worthy of consideration...

I think I could break even (even with the sales tax I paid) on the M550 I bought last year, and I've considered it.  

Problem is, I got this thing because there wasn't anything else I wanted (besides a Flying Spur 💌).

Also, the lease is up on my Mudmobile next June, so I need to figure out what I'm going to do there also.  

The idea of trying to choose two new cars at once is nauseating.