The Car Thread

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

I drove a 2016 CPO 740i this morning while I was out doing other things.

It was a lot of car for ~$47,000.  

The performance on the 740 was more than adequate, and it was definitely more fun than the S550 Coupe, but I was hoping for a bit more... excitement?  Probably not the perfect word, but I didn't love it enough to buy it on the spot.

The 7 stays on the Tier 2/Maybe list, but I'm pretty certain I'd want a 750.  

(Before anyone asks, I definitely don't want an M5 or anything smaller).

I may try to drive a 750 this afternoon... 

If you want excitement, drive the 760 with the V12 engine in it.  Still one of of the most luxurious cars I ever had the pleasure to drive, or in my case blast around a race track! 

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just walked out of my house yesterday with a "I'm going for a drive" and that ended up being a 100 mile joyride to the SC border and back.   There may have been loud music and scream singi

That's an offer from the manufacturer's captive finance company.     The catch appears to be that the 0% APR disqualifies you from many/most other types of incentives on the same vehicle.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CTSoxFan said:

If you want excitement, drive the 760 with the V12 engine in it.  Still one of of the most luxurious cars I ever had the pleasure to drive, or in my case blast around a race track! 

I can't even find an A8 4.0 in either of our one-horse towns. 😜

I drove the 750i.  MUCH closer to what I want... and absolutely worth the 10% price differential (on a 3-year-old CPO).  The 740i and the 750i don't even feel like the same cars.

The interior color on this particular 750, though... let's just say taste is a very personal thing.  I thought it was ugly when I saw it online, but in person it sort of kicks you in the beanbag when you open the door.

pVbtO6e.jpg 

Edited by cv91915

I love brown interiors, although the shade can make it go from wow to yuck.  That one looks like the one in my old 550, and have in my current M3 (mine might be slightly darker).  The best interior color (IMO) in that car is the Ivory White (especially on a black exterior), although good luck finding a clean used one.  You'd need someone that babied that car.

16 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I can't even find an A8 4.0 in either of our one-horse towns. 😜

I drove the 750i.  MUCH closer to what I want... and absolutely worth the 10% price differential (on a 3-year-old CPO).  The 740i and the 750i don't even feel like the same cars.

The interior color on this particular 750, though... let's just say taste is a very personal thing.  I thought it was ugly when I saw it online, but in person it sort of kicks you in the beanbag when you open the door.

pVbtO6e.jpg 

I was in that same boat when I got the F-Type...black with the dark brown leather, in photos, did not seem overly appealing.  In person, however, it was not a bad combination, especially with ivory stitching. 

2 hours ago, centex said:

I was in that same boat when I got the F-Type...black with the dark brown leather, in photos, did not seem overly appealing.  In person, however, it was not a bad combination, especially with ivory stitching. 

I meant to convey that it looks even worse in person.  I don't think I could adapt.

3 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

I love brown interiors, although the shade can make it go from wow to yuck.  That one looks like the one in my old 550, and have in my current M3 (mine might be slightly darker).  The best interior color (IMO) in that car is the Ivory White (especially on a black exterior), although good luck finding a clean used one.  You'd need someone that babied that car.

If I had my choice it would be ivory or light gray upholstery with dark carpet.  No way I'm doing light-colored carpeting.

I like how black/dark upholstery looks, but that's a killer on a hot day.

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I meant to convey that it looks even worse in person.  I don't think I could adapt.

You would be surprised...

I like how black/dark upholstery looks, but that's a killer on a hot day.

That depends on your tint levels and how efficient your A/C happens to be...the F-Type is black with the dark brown leather AND has the large glass panoramic roof to go along with the big chunk of glass for the hatch cover.  In other words, there is glass almost all the way around the pax compartment.  But it isn't near what my silver/gray X-type and Grand Marquis can be in the summer months.  Biggest difference is the factory tint on the F compared to the other two...

5 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

They are loading hundreds into the trunk trying to get rid of 7 series cars.  One nice part on a 7 is that if you don't drive a lot of miles you can get a 7,500 mile/year lease.

7,500 miles a year is about 3x what I need.  

I just put a reminder on the calendar for mid-May to have the Lexus serviced.  That will be the one-year anniversary since the last service, and once again I'll be nowhere close to being due on miles.

If you were getting something from the JLR family, then the F-Pace is a better option...yes, that IS my Jaguar bias shining through LOL!

Not sure about the Velar, but I know on other LR models, the Autobiography was the fancy foo-foo trim level and had slightly more space and far more design features.  I had a baby LR as a loaner once when the X-Type was in for a few days for a 140K mile servicing...I have not looked close enough to see if the Velar is on par with the Evoque, which was what I had for the loaner (this was a year or so back). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 6:21 PM, cv91915 said:

pVbtO6e.jpg 

I'm heading in the direction of a 2016+ 750i, without the camel-diarrhea-colored interior.  This car is a lot of value in the +/- $50k range.

I've run the numbers, and buying used still makes more financial sense over my planned ownership period than serially leasing two or three of these new, even if I account for an exorbitantly-priced extended warranty on a 2016+.

Most of the 750s I'm finding on Manheim have one or both of these alerts on the Autocheck report, though....  which makes me wonder what percentage of the used inventory locally used to be in the Uber Black pool.  Obviously these weren't police cars.

The ones with title issues are off the candidate list, of course.

NjIwKBS.jpg

lOidlDk.jpg

13 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

If a car is an off-lease from someone such as yourself, would it reported under "Fleet, rental, and/or lease use"??

Good question.  I assumed everything in the bulleted list was something other than "personal use," as mentioned in the first sentence.

I don't have access to free Carfax reports like I do the Autocheck ones...  so I can't check there.

Anyone here familiar with Autocheck?

14 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Besides the fact its a division of Experian? No. Of course, being a part of Experian says a lot.

I have some very close personal history with the product.  So thanks.  😛 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 4:42 AM, cv91915 said:

Here is my working list of possibilities, which I will update as thoughts evolve.  

I still need to consult a list of every production model sold in the US, sorted by volume.  I usually start at the bottom for ideas and work my way up.  

One of the many things I despise about the Lexus is trying to figure out which of the 82 silver RXs in the grocery store parking lot is ours.

BMW 750i xdrive

• Drove a 740i but didn't fall in love
  • Drove a 750i, which is a LOT more powerful and more engaging to drive.
  • I drove both to ensure that neither belonged on my list, and in the process the 750i earned its place as a "strong maybe."

Mercedes AMG GT (coupe, not convertible)

• Need to determine if this is suitable as a daily driver;
  • Not sure if they make an AWD model;
  • Need to determine the cost of MBI coverage for post-warranty repairs;
  • Need to check with the independent Mercedes mechanic I used in San Diego to get his thoughts on reliability.

Mercedes S-Class Coupe (4MATIC, not convertible)

• I've loved this car since it came out.  This is on the must-drive list;
  • I don't want the convertible because of the climate in Mudland (either hot and sh1tty or cold and sh1tty);
  • Not sure which flavor (S550, S55, S63) or if all are even available with the 4MATIC option;
  • Need to determine the cost of MBI coverage for post-warranty repairs;
  • Need to check with the independent Mercedes mechanic I used in San Diego to get his thoughts on reliability;
  • Risk is looking like a rich old geezer.  Main concern is the old geezer part.

Porsche Panamera (redesigned 2017 or later)

• Not sure which flavor, but definitely AWD;
  • I almost bought one of these in San Diego, and I've always had a twinge of regret for going in a different direction;
  • Feels a bit like a compromise from just getting a 911, and we really don't need a sedan.

Porsche 911

• Not sure which flavor, still researching;
  • Risk is oozing "mid-life crisis," but at least it's not a Corvette;
  • May make more sense to just get a sports car than a performance sedan, since we really don't need the extra room, and almost never have other passengers with us.

I am 100% sure I don't want a Porsche Cayenne or Macan, and most probably not a Cayman.

I've eliminated further consideration of the Mercedes S-Class (both coupe and sedan).

The coupe was dropped from the "maybe" list a few weeks back.  On Sunday I drove an S550 sedan, and just like the coupe, I found it to be a beautiful car that wasn't very exciting to drive.

Separately, I didn't expect to like the BMW 7-series at all.  I decided to drive a 740 and a 750 just to be sure, and to my surprise I really liked the 750.  

While the 740 was definitely more interesting than a Mercedes S550, the 750i is a big step up from both.

If I had to stop looking around and buy something this afternoon, I'd grab the checkbook and go find the nearest 2016 BMW 750i in mineral white, with gray or black interior and the M Sport package.

Edited by cv91915

Sounds like you are looking to lose thousands on a car, lol.

I would be looking to buy an older special car that is appreciating.. 

What do you think of this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-928-GTS/183771142949?hash=item2ac99d1b25:g:em8AAOSwoX9csBPS

image_216258_img_3993.jpg

Would probably be cheaper than a 750 to maintain too, and you might make $10k on appreciation while you own it instead of loosing $20k

If you can't pay cash then wrap it into your home equity or something. It still might beat the interest. 

Edited by AccreditedPoster