The Car Thread

3 hours ago, Pam said:

OMG.  Ahhhh.  I really need Apple CarPlay and bluetooth or I'd be on the next plane to San Diego.  Ahhhhhhhh.

Would a 2-seater work?

The Z4 M40i would have been a no-brainer if I'd wanted another convertible.  

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just walked out of my house yesterday with a "I'm going for a drive" and that ended up being a 100 mile joyride to the SC border and back.   There may have been loud music and scream singi

That's an offer from the manufacturer's captive finance company.     The catch appears to be that the 0% APR disqualifies you from many/most other types of incentives on the same vehicle.

Posted Images

When I was trading in my leased Jeep, Carvana was offering a great value.  Unfortunately by the time I got the payoff processed and titled in my name they dropped the value by $3,000.  So instead of walking way +$3,000 I ended up washing out. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Carvana upped their offer for my car. I could now walk away, 28 months into my 36 month lease, with about $2K in my pocket. This is really tempting. I don't know what I'd want next.

Have you made a "maybe" list?  For the replacement vehicle you may have to pay a premium > $2k compared to more normal times.

PS: Out of morbid curiosity I got a quote on my (leased) 750 from Carvana.  The offer was more than $20,000 short of the payoff.  :lol: 

Edited by cv91915
3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Have you made a "maybe" list?  For the replacement vehicle you may have to pay a premium > $2k compared to more normal times.

PS: Out of morbid curiosity I got a quote on my (leased) 750 from Carvana.  The offer was more than $20,000 short of the payoff.  :lol: 

I want a Lexus GX460. I know they're old, outdated, etc. But they're solid, proper BOF SUVs with the engine facing the proper direction, and they're made in Japan. Unfortunately, to get the features I'm used to, that pushes me into the $70K Luxury trim. I'm torn.

• 4 weeks later...

I realize this thread usually relates to high end luxury cars but this is about my Versa Note which is on the opposite end ;-).

Just got through showing some love maintenance to the Note with new front arm bushings with alignment, serpentine belt and four new tires. Cost is right under $1500 at the dealership. I used my new cc with 12 months interest free. So I will be throwing money at that card to pay it off and in the meantime, I am tightening spending to accomplish that.

4 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

I realize this thread usually relates to high end luxury cars but this is about my Versa Note which is on the opposite end ;-).

Just got through showing some love maintenance to the Note with new front arm bushings with alignment, serpentine belt and four new tires. Cost is right under $1500 at the dealership. I used my new cc with 12 months interest free. So I will be throwing money at that card to pay it off and in the meantime, I am tightening spending to accomplish that.

Yikes...did the tires also come from the dealership service department?  Please tell me no...please! 

Still, $1,500 across a year is vastly better than just getting a new car note because it was easier than doing something vehicles all need somewhere in their life.  I occasionally get grief from my service writer about putting a grand into the X-Type, but it is a generally-reliable four-door with a manual transmission that also has AWD with more than 170K miles and so eighty bucks a month on average (viewed as an annual repair) is STILL cheaper than the alternative. 

3 hours ago, centex said:

Yikes...did the tires also come from the dealership service department?  Please tell me no...please! 

Still, $1,500 across a year is vastly better than just getting a new car note because it was easier than doing something vehicles all need somewhere in their life.  I occasionally get grief from my service writer about putting a grand into the X-Type, but it is a generally-reliable four-door with a manual transmission that also has AWD with more than 170K miles and so eighty bucks a month on average (viewed as an annual repair) is STILL cheaper than the alternative. 

The biggest expense was for the replacement of the cracked front arm bushings which required an alignment afterwards. Yes tires from the dealership. DH said they were a bit on the high side but if I would have had it done elsewhere, I would be paying for alignment twice (once after bushings and once after new tires).

The Versa Note has been a good little urban car. I am trying to maintain it so it may last for years. 

4 hours ago, centex said:

Can't speak to @StarkRaven$ 's purchase, but I present a quote from Costco to my dealership for my Michelins and they match it on the spot (something like 30%-40% savings).  Pretty impressive since I didn't purchase the vehicle there (we moved).

4 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

The biggest expense was for the replacement of the cracked front arm bushings which required an alignment afterwards. Yes tires from the dealership. DH said they were a bit on the high side but if I would have had it done elsewhere, I would be paying for alignment twice (once after bushings and once after new tires).

The Versa Note has been a good little urban car. I am trying to maintain it so it may last for years. 

1) when I get tires, I usually go straight from the installer to whoever is doing the alignment.  The ~50 miles if I go to the dealership won't destroy them

2) It would not surprise me if the last step of the repair manual for the bushings is "perform alignment," meaning it should already have been baked into the cost of that repair.  Hopefully they waited until AFTER the new ones were mounted to do the alignment...

3 hours ago, centex said:

Hopefully they waited until AFTER the new ones were mounted to do the alignment...

I trust the service advisor. He double checks the mechanical work and is extremely popular with his customer base. I am confident the alignment was after the new tires installation.