The Car Thread

On 2/7/2021 at 5:11 AM, cv91915 said:

Congrats on your new car, @centex !!!

Someone Just Bought the Oldest New Car for Sale in the U.S.

A brief story of an unlikely 2014 Lotus Evora and a Connecticut car dealer whose unwavering loyalty was finally rewarded.

Wasn't me...still contemplating the 2021 though.  The 2018 in Vegas that was "peppermint" was one where they wouldn't budge on price. 

On edit...the thing that has me confused is the claim that it was 'new' and yet the warranty was 'expired.' Generally speaking, the warranty clock doesn't start running until the car is sold.  It is why my 2016 F-Type is still under warranty despite having been with the dealer for almost two years before I agreed to the sale and the flat-bedded it to me...and I got more off of sticker than the CT Lotus purchaser got...

Edited by centex

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just walked out of my house yesterday with a "I'm going for a drive" and that ended up being a 100 mile joyride to the SC border and back.   There may have been loud music and scream singi

That's an offer from the manufacturer's captive finance company.     The catch appears to be that the 0% APR disqualifies you from many/most other types of incentives on the same vehicle.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, centex said:

Wasn't me...still contemplating the 2021 though.  The 2018 in Vegas that was "peppermint" was one where they wouldn't budge on price. 

On edit...the thing that has me confused is the claim that it was 'new' and yet the warranty was 'expired.' Generally speaking, the warranty clock doesn't start running until the car is sold.  It is why my 2016 F-Type is still under warranty despite having been with the dealer for almost two years before I agreed to the sale and the flat-bedded it to me...and I got more off of sticker than the CT Lotus purchaser got...

I had the same question about the warranty.  

I also would have assumed that Lotus uses in-service date as the warranty start date like everyone else.  It occurred to me that the car may have been punched at some point to hit a sales number, and in that case the dealer would be the first owner.

I would have expected an automotive publication to anticipate reader questions like this. 

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I had the same question about the warranty.  

I also would have assumed that Lotus uses in-service date as the warranty start date like everyone else.  It occurred to me that the car may have been punched at some point to hit a sales number, and in that case the dealer would be the first owner.

I would have expected an automotive publication to anticipate reader questions like this. 

Quality journalism is on the decline, in all industries. If it drives clicks, it's good enough. If you want quality automotive journalism, you'll have to settle for John Davis SHOUT TALKING AT YOU on MotorWeek.

I'm only half kidding about that, but I do enjoy John Davis.

You know those "preset" buttons that save your favorite radio stations?

Well, I accidentally saved a map location as preset #2, and I can't change it back.

Same thing happened in my other car.  I mentioned this when I took it in for service and they took care of it, but this clearly can't require a dealer visit to resolve.

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

You know those "preset" buttons that save your favorite radio stations?

Well, I accidentally saved a map location as preset #2, and I can't change it back.

Same thing happened in my other car.  I mentioned this when I took it in for service and they took care of it, but this clearly can't require a dealer visit to resolve.

Is yours one that will hold the stations when the battery is disconnected? 

Anything in the manual?  RTFM works on some of this sort of thing ;)

2 hours ago, centex said:

I have no idea, the battery's never been dead (or disconnected).

The manual is useless.  

I've halfheartedly started searching BMW forums, but my eyes keep glazing over as I paw through posts about how much better the models built on the F51 chassis were than the G99s because of the shape of the exhaust tips on the G99.

17 hours ago, centex said:

RTFM is one of the most unhelpful responses you can make.

4 hours ago, Lander said:

RTFM is one of the most unhelpful responses you can make.

It actually can be one of the most helpful things in certain instances...just like it would be helpful if you read the room. 

2 hours ago, centex said:

It actually can be one of the most helpful things in certain instances...just like it would be helpful if you read the room. 

"Certain instances," maybe. Like actual specifications. Generally, I really don't think it is, I am on car forums and the Reading of the FM doesn't encompass all situations.

It took me a long long time and even then still an approximation guess of a video from EricTheCarGuy to guesstimate that the distance in the crosshairs on an auto trans dipstick is "a half a quart." Lots of info/experience/methodologies not really covered.. 

EDIT: I don't know how to "read a room" although I've heard this mentioned, if it has to do with my popularity or how people are looking at you.. ahhh I don't fully understand or get what you're saying, digital loses all sense of context.

Edited by Lander
  • Admin
On 2/9/2021 at 8:10 AM, Lander said:

"Certain instances," maybe. Like actual specifications. Generally, I really don't think it is, I am on car forums and the Reading of the FM doesn't encompass all situations.

It took me a long long time and even then still an approximation guess of a video from EricTheCarGuy to guesstimate that the distance in the crosshairs on an auto trans dipstick is "a half a quart." Lots of info/experience/methodologies not really covered.. 

EDIT: I don't know how to "read a room" although I've heard this mentioned, if it has to do with my popularity or how people are looking at you.. ahhh I don't fully understand or get what you're saying, digital loses all sense of context.

Joseph.....................lots of us, even us car dealers with minimally acceptable social skills know how to read a room or read a forum.  Isn't it time to give up the pretense now?

3 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Joseph.....................lots of us, even us car dealers with minimally acceptable social skills know how to read a room or read a forum.  Isn't it time to give up the pretense now?

No pretense.. What do you mean "read a room?" I've always had difficulty with that. 

3 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Pretenses? I was just not drawing attention to... but you're The Man here, so.. Marv, I'm not sure exactly what you want me to say here but I don't want you think I'm ignoring. I began 2021 with a very "I'm never messing up again" attitude and the car forum seems to not have liked my... high post count, shall we say. So I'm both care and fancy-free...

I *may* actually have an opportunity to do better with the "more time" I have (due to the at least, In the short term) not posting on the site that has made me an expert on all things motor oil, I am presently using Magnatec and my car runs perfect but I'll probably switch it soon due to O.C.D. this morning I was on my way to get oil.. and I turned around and didn't. This has never happened before.

H

ow are you 

I like it here so I hope there isn't a problem.. do you have any idea how hard it is to get through day without interaction?

(Give mk_378 a trophy, he said this thread was bait to lure me. I have two cars now so.. I dont know.)

But honestly I'm not trying to fuel any fire so I just wanted to address what seems to have wanted to be addressed but I'm moving on too. More thinking about Bankruptcy. 

I have my J30 on a CTEK. 

Anyone else use a CTEK?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Welp, my car got totalled on the Staten Island Expressway a few weeks ago, but for various reasons I don't need to replace it until August/September timeframe.  I am really wanting a convertible, preferably a BMW, but my reasonably frugal side is winning out, so we shall see.  I'll see if I can't document some of my search efforts here, as entertainingly as CV has.

17 hours ago, Pam said:

Welp, my car got totalled on the Staten Island Expressway a few weeks ago, but for various reasons I don't need to replace it until August/September timeframe.  I am really wanting a convertible, preferably a BMW, but my reasonably frugal side is winning out, so we shall see.  I'll see if I can't document some of my search efforts here, as entertainingly as CV has.

Pam - I have owned and purchased a number of BMWs...happy to assist if you go that route.  

• Admin
11 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

Pam - I have owned and purchased a number of BMWs...happy to assist if you go that route.  

Thanks, I've also owned a couple of BMWs, but always happy to have an extra set of eyes on things ;)

On 3/7/2021 at 5:10 PM, Pam said:

Let's see, BMW, convertible, frugal...

As luck would have it, my aunt just decided to sell her 2011 335i convertible with 11,662 miles.  She's the original owner.

It's in San Diego, though, so there's that.

23 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Let's see, BMW, convertible, frugal...

As luck would have it, my aunt just decided to sell her 2011 335i convertible with 11,662 miles.  She's the original owner.

It's in San Diego, though, so there's that.

You can get it trucked across country for $1500 (at least that is what it cost to move my X5 from CT to CA)...probably a bit more now.  Enclosed carrier probably $2,000.  Might be worth it to get a cherry like that.  Only downside is likely doesn't have a lot of the newer electronic toys.

8 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

You can get it trucked across country for $1500 (at least that is what it cost to move my X5 from CT to CA)...probably a bit more now.  Enclosed carrier probably $2,000.  Might be worth it to get a cherry like that.  Only downside is likely doesn't have a lot of the newer electronic toys.

When I was car shopping late last year she offered to sell it to me for almost nothing, and part of me wishes I would have taken her up on it (the other part of me is still glad I bought an M550, though 😛 ).

Regardless, her convertible is going to be a great car for its second owner.  And as of now, I think she'll end up selling it to Shift or Carvana for ~$16,000 just for the convenience.

• Admin
4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

When I was car shopping late last year she offered to sell it to me for almost nothing, and part of me wishes I would have taken her up on it (the other part of me is still glad I bought an M550, though 😛 ).

Regardless, her convertible is going to be a great car for its second owner.  And as of now, I think she'll end up selling it to Shift or Carvana for ~$16,000 just for the convenience.

OMG.  Ahhhh.  I really need Apple CarPlay and bluetooth or I'd be on the next plane to San Diego.  Ahhhhhhhh.