The Car Thread

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just walked out of my house yesterday with a "I'm going for a drive" and that ended up being a 100 mile joyride to the SC border and back.   There may have been loud music and scream singi

That's an offer from the manufacturer's captive finance company.     The catch appears to be that the 0% APR disqualifies you from many/most other types of incentives on the same vehicle.

Posted Images

On 2/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, cv91915 said:

I forgot to mention how much difference AWD in the M550 makes.

The 7 also has a twin-turbo V8 (with 445 hp), but unfortunately I got the RWD version.  This car has way too much power for two drive wheels.

The M550 has AWD, and it's so much nicer to just rocket forward from a stoplight with zero pause, instead of sitting there with the rear tires spinning before you actually get moving.

Sounds like a nice car.  I too prefer AWD when driving a higher HP car, but learned to drive on RWD as there were no AWD cars when I was a teen.  

2 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

I can't drive 2WD cars anymore. I'm so used to having grip (and a lead foot) that I chirp tires too much. Oops.

I sort of broke myself of that habit with the X-Type since dropping the clutch is a good way to grenade the transfer case...and those are made of expensive-to-obtainium and almost-impossible-to-replacium. 

2 hours ago, centex said:

I sort of broke myself of that habit with the X-Type since dropping the clutch is a good way to grenade the transfer case...and those are made of expensive-to-obtainium and almost-impossible-to-replacium. 

If you want some accidental hilarity, put me behind the wheel of some FWD ishtbox with an open differential.  Who knew you could chirp tires in a Honda Accord?

3 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

If you want some accidental hilarity, put me behind the wheel of some FWD ishtbox with an open differential.  Who knew you could chirp tires in a Honda Accord?

What makes it impressive would be if you did it without the fart can and the R-stickers that everyone knows add HP ;)

20 hours ago, centex said:

I have an AWD car too.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:51 PM, centex said:

I have an AWD car too.

BMW sound nice. Must be nice... y'all are rich.

Speaking of RWD being a bad idea...

Light snow fell during the night, and I went out this morning to get a haircut around 8:00.

When I returned home I had to leave the car in the driveway, because I couldn't get it up a really modest incline and into the garage.  :lol: 

The layer of frosty whiteness isn't even dense enough to completely conceal the concrete.

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Light snow fell during the night, and I went out this morning to get a haircut around 8:00.

When I returned home I had to leave the car in the driveway, because I couldn't get it up a really modest incline and into the garage.  :lol: 

The layer of frosty whiteness isn't even dense enough to completely conceal the concrete.

I still recall trying to get home more than a decade ago because sleet had started to fall...was in the Miata...with summer performance tires still mounted.  Fortunately, I had a few hundred pounds of stuff in the trunk but even at that, you could smell the clutch for quite a while after I got up the hills to the house.  New clutch was already in the works, so I didn't wring my hands too much over toasting it a week earlier than anticipated.

Spent that evening and the next morning sipping coffee on the deck and observing people playing car pinball going down the same road...

2 hours ago, centex said:

I still recall trying to get home more than a decade ago because sleet had started to fall...was in the Miata...with summer performance tires still mounted.  Fortunately, I had a few hundred pounds of stuff in the trunk but even at that, you could smell the clutch for quite a while after I got up the hills to the house.  New clutch was already in the works, so I didn't wring my hands too much over toasting it a week earlier than anticipated.

Spent that evening and the next morning sipping coffee on the deck and observing people playing car pinball going down the same road...

Last winter I just had groceries delivered whenever it snowed.  Normally that's the only reason I leave the house.  😛 

I agree that there's value (entertainment and otherwise)  in letting other people encounter the elements

6 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I think I have a picture somewhere of my old Lexus GS stuck in 3" of snow. When you're outperformed by a Prius, it hurts.

3 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

I think I have a picture somewhere of my old Lexus GS stuck in 3" of snow. When you're outperformed by a Prius, it hurts.

Our lease is up in June of next year.  

We're buying the next car, and it will be AWD. 

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Our lease is up in June of next year.  

We're buying the next car, and it will be AWD. 

Like Subaru AWD? Full time? Part time? Passive? What we talking here.

I also have a J30 it is RWD. I look forward to letting her rip...

cv so you're LEASING the M550 and its up in June?

2 hours ago, Lander said:

Like Subaru AWD? Full time? Part time? Passive? What we talking here.

I also have a J30 it is RWD. I look forward to letting her rip...

cv so you're LEASING the M550 and its up in June?

I would be lying to you if I said I've never lusted after a J30.  :) 

I got an amazing lease deal on the 750i, but it'll have < 10,000 miles on it when I turn it in after 3 years, so I bought the M550 (CPO), which was a much smarter financial decision.  

Of course, someone else had farted in the M550 before me, but you can't have everything.  

When we turn in the 750 we plan to get an AWD variant of the Panamera (also CPO)... not sure if we'll get the sedan or the Sport Turismo, which I shouldn't love but I do (it's basically a station wagon :lol: ).  

Either way (sedan/"wagon") with the Panamera , we'll get either a GTS or a Turbo, depending on whether my (relatively) frugal or (completely) ridiculous side wins out.

The only other car that tickles my dirty parts is the Taycan, so that's also still a possibility. 

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I would be lying to you if I said I've never lusted after a J30.  :) 

I got an amazing lease deal on the 750i, but it'll have < 10,000 miles on it when I turn it in after 3 years, so I bought the M550 (CPO), which was a much smarter financial decision.  

Of course, someone else had farted in the M550 before me, but you can't have everything.  

When we turn in the 750 we plan to get an AWD variant of the Panamera (also CPO)... not sure if we'll get the sedan or the Sport Turismo, which I shouldn't love but I do (it's basically a station wagon :lol: ).  

Either way (sedan/"wagon") with the Panamera , we'll get either a GTS or a Turbo, depending on whether my (relatively) frugal or (completely) ridiculous side wins out.

The only other car that tickles my dirty parts is the Taycan, so that's also still a possibility. 

Hey man. Awesome reply.

Please forgive me, I lost track.. you have a 750i, an M550... Very nice.

You can have my J30 for $2000. Its low miles (124,000) and it's that Bentley "Beluga," Lexus "Midnight Purple," Eggplant color. I think Infiniti calls it Blue lol.

Now we are on other sides of the country but.. it was originally supposed to replace my car?? Now.. its just sitting there.

And it doesn't have that stupid J30t spoiler on it, either. 

:)

I am conflicted because right now I could pull the trigger and pay the lawyer that's gonna try "Judgement Settlement." I WANT TO DO THAT FIRST BEFORE I CALL 📞 CRAPITAL ONE, CENTEX. But I get to have a little fun this weekend, then do it next week, so. :)

2 hours ago, Lander said:

Hey man. Awesome reply.

Please forgive me, I lost track.. you have a 750i, an M550... Very nice.

You can have my J30 for $2000. Its low miles (124,000) and it's that Bentley "Beluga," Lexus "Midnight Purple," Eggplant color. I think Infiniti calls it Blue lol.

Now we are on other sides of the country but.. it was originally supposed to replace my car?? Now.. its just sitting there.

And it doesn't have that stupid J30t spoiler on it, either. 

:)

I am conflicted because right now I could pull the trigger and pay the lawyer that's gonna try "Judgement Settlement." I WANT TO DO THAT FIRST BEFORE I CALL 📞 CRAPITAL ONE, CENTEX. But I get to have a little fun this weekend, then do it next week, so. :)

I live/work in two different places, so those two cars are garaged 2,000 miles apart.  We also have a 2008 RX350, which is the best way we could think of to tell the world that we've given up on all of our dreams.  

Have you considered fusing your two cars together?  I lost track of what the "non-J30" is, but I have to believe that you could make a brilliant limousine with just what you have in stock.  

If you want to call out @centex you should tag him (I mean her...  just f#ing with you, centex). 

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I live/work in two different places, so those two cars are garaged 2,000 miles apart.  We also have a 2008 RX350, which is the best way we could think of to tell the world that we've given up on all of our dreams.  

Have you considered fusing your two cars together?  I lost track of what the "non-J30" is, but I have to believe that you could make a brilliant limousine with just what you have in stock.  

If you want to call out @centex you should tag him (I mean her...  just f#ing with you, centex). 

I don't want to "f***" with Centex I just feel like she b**** slapped me. It hurt. I don't think she was very understanding of why I'm WAITING to call Crapital One.

The other car is a Subaru swapped to a SMALLER engine. Lolz. (It is.)

Not the Toyobaru...

But merging it onto what is essentially a NA 300ZX's spirit car... man, that would just look weird.

J30s look like Buick Regals to me. Very nice.

I haven't used it yet...

2 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

It's cold and I'm thankful for heated seats and steering wheel.

I couldn't have asked for a sunnier, warmer weekend to sell a convertible.  Mine went home with its new owner yesterday.  

Edited by cv91915