The Car Thread

decided that I wanted a new vehicle. after some internets research, I decided on a couple of vehicles to test drive from manufactures I've never dealt with before.

High End Dealer #1 showed four on its website, one of which mostly had the options I want. Turns out "that vehicle sold last week and we are behind on updating our website due to COVID... but we have a completely different model that we'd love to show you."

High End Dealer #2 (different make and model) showed one on its website in a colour that didn't make me want to puke but claimed "I don't see any price information in our system so you better just come in."

I guess I won't be driving anything from either manufacturer. Surprisingly, neither dealership was an autonation outfit as I have always found local autonation dealerships to have the suckiest sales and F&I people.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just walked out of my house yesterday with a "I'm going for a drive" and that ended up being a 100 mile joyride to the SC border and back.   There may have been loud music and scream singi

That's an offer from the manufacturer's captive finance company.     The catch appears to be that the 0% APR disqualifies you from many/most other types of incentives on the same vehicle.

Posted Images

14 hours ago, hegemony said:

decided that I wanted a new vehicle. after some internets research, I decided on a couple of vehicles to test drive from manufactures I've never dealt with before.

High End Dealer #1 showed four on its website, one of which mostly had the options I want. Turns out "that vehicle sold last week and we are behind on updating our website due to COVID... but we have a completely different model that we'd love to show you."

High End Dealer #2 (different make and model) showed one on its website in a colour that didn't make me want to puke but claimed "I don't see any price information in our system so you better just come in."

I guess I won't be driving anything from either manufacturer. Surprisingly, neither dealership was an autonation outfit as I have always found local autonation dealerships to have the suckiest sales and F&I people.

What's on your target list?

I got Autonationed most recently on Saturday and walked out.  IME, their dealerships are a poor fit for consumers who are informed.

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I got Autonationed most recently on Saturday and walked out.  IME, their dealerships are a poor fit for consumers who are informed.

for about 36 hours I thought I wanted a Land Rover or a Porsche Panemera but then my fever dissipated.

Edited by hegemony

Checks out...Autonation and similar places are designed to take advantage of the customer, so it makes sense they are a poor fit for the informed purchaser.

3 hours ago, hegemony said:

for about 36 hours I thought I wanted a Land Rover or a Porsche Panemera but then my fever dissipated.

I get Panamera fever on a recurring basis, and I eventually will probably succumb (although the Taycan is even more alluring).

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I get Panamera fever on a recurring basis, and I eventually will probably succumb (although the Taycan is even more alluring).

I could see getting the GLE but after calling around today it seems there is low to no inventory unless I want the AMG or a base-level roller. Moreover, it seems you can have the GLE in any color as long as that color is white or black.

4 hours ago, hegemony said:

I could see getting the GLE but after calling around today it seems there is low to no inventory unless I want the AMG or a base-level roller. Moreover, it seems you can have the GLE in any color as long as that color is white or black.

4 hours ago, hegemony said:

just got off the phone after being told "you can have your choice of carbon black or black sapphire" (BMW autonation garbage dealer)

The shortages are finally starting to improve.  It's still bad, but not like it was 90 days ago.  

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

The shortages are finally starting to improve.  It's still bad, but not like it was 90 days ago.  

Land Rover told me the factory is shut down and it is at least 4 months for new orders. Of course they have plenty of pudding mobiles if I want something in stock.

I might give this guy a call: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/826498403/overview/

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

Land Rover told me the factory is shut down and it is at least 4 months for new orders. Of course they have plenty of pudding mobiles if I want something in stock.

I might give this guy a call: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/826498403/overview/

That would be unique.  

The new Defenders are supposedly selling poorly, so there should be a decent selection.

If I didn't hate SUVs and I was looking to join a fraternity, I'd be all over one of those.

That would be unique.  

The new Defenders are supposedly selling poorly, so there should be a decent selection.

If I didn't hate SUVs and I was looking to join a fraternity, I'd be all over one of those.

the guys at the shop I use like the weird stuff I bring them. it gives them a chance to up-charge.

19 hours ago, cv91915 said:

That would be unique.  

Decent selection does not always mean decent AND local.  I even ran into that when I bought my F-Type.  Closest manual transmission was a few hundred miles away and in a different State.  I was not buying sight unseen, so I went to look.  We did the deal, I did not trade and that they agreed to flatbed the F-Type to me with no additional fees.  They also beat me up and forced me to accept more than $30K off of sticker...forced, I tell ya. 

On 12/19/2020 at 10:08 AM, centex said:

Decent selection does not always mean decent AND local.  I even ran into that when I bought my F-Type.  Closest manual transmission was a few hundred miles away and in a different State.  I was not buying sight unseen, so I went to look.  We did the deal, I did not trade and that they agreed to flatbed the F-Type to me with no additional fees.  They also beat me up and forced me to accept more than $30K off of sticker...forced, I tell ya. 

Should have left them a 1-star review for being so insistent on that discount haha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Glacier said:

@cv91915  Just curious if you purchased anything, or what your latest thoughts are?

Yes, in mid-December I bought a 2018 BMW M550 (CPO with < 20,000 miles), black/black.  

This is exactly what I was looking for...  it largely blends in with the crowd but goes like hell (456 hp twin-turbo V8 gets it up to 60 in under 4 seconds).  

I do like the looks of my 750 quite a bit better, but the M550 is soooooo much more fun to drive (while I've never driven one, it's occurred to me more than once that the M760 may be the best of both worlds).

Black wasn't my first choice, but this was the very nicest CPO vehicle I'd seen, by a wide margin.  It looked like the previous owner (lessor) kept it in bubble wrap.  

Yes, in mid-December I bought a 2018 BMW M550 (CPO with < 20,000 miles), black/black.  

This is exactly what I was looking for...  it largely blends in with the crowd but goes like hell (456 hp twin-turbo V8 gets it up to 60 in under 4 seconds).  

I do like the looks of my 750 quite a bit better, but the M550 is soooooo much more fun to drive (while I've never driven one, it's occurred to me more than once that the M760 may be the best of both worlds).

Black wasn't my first choice, but this was the very nicest CPO vehicle I'd seen, by a wide margin.  It looked like the previous owner (lessor) kept it in bubble wrap.  

THANK YOU.

I forgot to mention how much difference AWD in the M550 makes.

The 7 also has a twin-turbo V8 (with 445 hp), but unfortunately I got the RWD version.  This car has way too much power for two drive wheels.

The M550 has AWD, and it's so much nicer to just rocket forward from a stoplight with zero pause, instead of sitting there with the rear tires spinning before you actually get moving.