Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

The Car Thread

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

I've tried that a couple of times and didn't get a taker.  

The front of the house is paid on gross (and volume) on vehicle sales, and the F&I department's profitability is generally measured separately.  

It makes this a little convoluted to negotiate since not everyone's interests are aligned, and there often isn't enough money involved to stir any one party's passion.

Yeah, that's probably the case most of the time. Max profit strategy would have the salesman offer a lower price for one that's financed with an APR but it's complicated and probably counterproductive with the 0% APR that's all the rage. That's just something I ran across decades ago that makes sense. OTOH, I like to state I'm paying cash at the start just to avoid filling out credit forms which is actually part of the psychology of selling by getting that initial investment of their time. My approach is more "I'm here to buy a car and not screw around. I might do it here or not. Let's talk turkey." Been 40 years since I financed a car.

15 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Yeah, that's probably the case most of the time. Max profit strategy would have the salesman offer a lower price for one that's financed with an APR but it's complicated and probably counterproductive with the 0% APR that's all the rage. That's just something I ran across decades ago that makes sense. OTOH, I like to state I'm paying cash at the start just to avoid filling out credit forms which is actually part of the psychology of selling by getting that initial investment of their time. My approach is more "I'm here to buy a car and not screw around. I might do it here or not. Let's talk turkey." Been 40 years since I financed a car.

Depending on the manufacturer, you may be costing yourself some $$ by doing this.  Some manufacturers tie incentive cash to financing (BMW for one) so in order to get the bonus, you need to finance a portion of the purchase.  What most do (if they were to be a cash buyer) is find out the minimum amount they need to finance to get the incentive and then pay it off a few months* into the loan, while securing the extra incentive. 

*For those wondering, the reason you pay it off in a few months instead of immediately is because if you pay it off too soon the dealership may get charged back by lender (BMWFS does this for sure) for the incentive, so you are essentially screwing the dealer.  If you don't plan on servicing the car there or buying there again, then I suppose there is no harm (except maybe bad karma).  Given the minimal cost in interest, I personally would rather not burn the bridge in case I needed an advocate down the road.  

Should this annoy me? My car had a new windshield installed. Tonight I noticed some clips were missing from the cowl trim below the windshield. The 8 clips (I'm missing 4) total under $10, but I'm perturbed that they would just leave them and not tell me about it.

13 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Should this annoy me? My car had a new windshield installed. Tonight I noticed some clips were missing from the cowl trim below the windshield. The 8 clips (I'm missing 4) total under $10, but I'm perturbed that they would just leave them and not tell me about it.

Car that you owned and had a windshield replaced or a new-to-you vehicle that had a new windshield before you took possession?  I'm not happy in either instance, but far more miffed in the former...at that point, they have damaged MY vehicle.  In the latter, it is just an indicator that the dealership uses shoddy workers and that work will be done elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, centex said:

Car that you owned and had a windshield replaced or a new-to-you vehicle that had a new windshield before you took possession?  I'm not happy in either instance, but far more miffed in the former...at that point, they have damaged MY vehicle.  In the latter, it is just an indicator that the dealership uses shoddy workers and that work will be done elsewhere. 

Car owned sine new and had windshield replaced. 

1 hour ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Car owned sine new and had windshield replaced. 

They get to come back out and fix it...properly. Or, alternately, cut the check for diminution of value.