The Car Thread

On 7/8/2020 at 9:01 AM, centex said:

CV, whatever you do...just PROMISE us that you will NEVER consider wheels like in this pic...IMG_2036-2048x1536.jpg

How those are even permitted on public roads is beyond me...used to be that anything that stuck out more than a few inches was a violation of various Codes.

pmQeemz.jpg

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just walked out of my house yesterday with a "I'm going for a drive" and that ended up being a 100 mile joyride to the SC border and back.   There may have been loud music and scream singi

That's an offer from the manufacturer's captive finance company.     The catch appears to be that the 0% APR disqualifies you from many/most other types of incentives on the same vehicle.

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, hegemony said:

actually there was a drive up strip club here during the shutdown. move of a drive-in theater.

Last time I encountered a stripper was at a bachelor party.

She was sweating a lot, and she smelled like burning tires.

On 7/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, cv91915 said:

The guy flew into San Diego from Las Vegas this morning, and he's currently driving the vehicle home.

I had the cashier's check made out to me, and it's been deposited into one of my checking accounts.

+++

Separately, my parents currently owe me $6,898.39 for various things I've bought for them online.  This is normal, and we typically settle up every few months.  

Instead of having me transfer the entire amount of the vehicle sale to him, Dad told me to keep $4,100 of it and apply it to what they owe me.  

I have no idea how he arrived at this amount or why this makes sense to him, but moments like this give me insight into why I sometimes do weird things with money.  

I know this is definitely too late for this deal, but for others who may read...always be sure to call the bank who issued the check to make sure it is valid.  People have a false sense of security that it is a "bank check" and therefore must be good.  Those can be forged just as easily as a personal check.

Common scam around craigslist where someone will offer to buy an item (usually electronics that they can flip quickly) and purchase with a bank check.  I even had one guy offer me $50 (10%) above what I was asking...I quickly deleted his email.

2 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

I know this is definitely too late for this deal, but for others who may read...always be sure to call the bank who issued the check to make sure it is valid.  People have a false sense of security that it is a "bank check" and therefore must be good.  Those can be forged just as easily as a personal check.

Common scam around craigslist where someone will offer to buy an item (usually electronics that they can flip quickly) and purchase with a bank check.  I even had one guy offer me $50 (10%) above what I was asking...I quickly deleted his email.

I accompanied him to a nearby Bank of America branch and watched the bank employee prepare the cashiers check, which was handed directly to me.  I wouldn't have done it any other way.

• 2 weeks later...

Our SUV hasn't moved in 2 or 3 months.  The battery was dead and all four tires are low on air.

Apparently a trickle charger isn't enough to bring a completely dead battery back to life, even after being connected for 48 hours.

The jump box worked, and I went on a short driving tour of the surrounding area.  I learned to hate it again before I made it off the driveway.

7 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Our SUV hasn't moved in 2 or 3 months.  The battery was dead and all four tires are low on air.

Apparently a trickle charger isn't enough to bring a completely dead battery back to life, even after being connected for 48 hours.

The jump box worked, and I went on a short driving tour of the surrounding area.  I learned to hate it again before I made it off the driveway.

Some trickle charges can do it, but it takes a while even with the BatteryTender brand units.  I've brought a couple of batteries back to life that were not previously hooked up but it took three or four days to get enough juice to crank and start the V8...

1 hour ago, centex said:

Some trickle charges can do it, but it takes a while even with the BatteryTender brand units.  I've brought a couple of batteries back to life that were not previously hooked up but it took three or four days to get enough juice to crank and start the V8...

I could have been more patient...  except, no I couldn't.  😛 

On 8/19/2020 at 10:34 AM, cv91915 said:

It's fully charged as of this morning.

2 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

You should have traded it in after it started. 

Next week I'm freshening it up with some 22" rims, 40% tint all around, and I'm having all of the chrome blacked out.  That should hold us over for a while.

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

It's fully charged as of this morning.

Next week I'm freshening it up with some 22" rims, 40% tint all around, and I'm having all of the chrome blacked out.  That should hold us over for a while.

If you leave it in a bad neighborhood, I know exactly how you can get rid of it AND not have to hassle with trade-in!

1 hour ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

If you leave it in a bad neighborhood, I know exactly how you can get rid of it AND not have to hassle with trade-in!

I'm not inclined to dispose of it right now, or we'll just end up with a new Velar that we don't drive in between jump starts.  

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I'm not inclined to dispose of it right now, or we'll just end up with a new Velar that we don't drive in between jump starts.  

Oof, brave. Range Rovers and Alfa Romeos are a true sign of people who are in no hurry to get where they'd like to go.

I tossed around the idea of getting a Stelvio but then I read owner stories. 😳