Jump to content

The Car Thread


Recommended Posts

A friend of mine in Chicago just got a new Civic (he traded in his Fit), and posted a picture of the Civic on Facebook.

 

The knob-slobbering comments remind me of the feigned positivity that often results when someone posts a picture of a truly, undeniably ugly child (or grandchild).

 

Nothing wrong with basic transportation, but good lord.  :swoon: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just walked out of my house yesterday with a "I'm going for a drive" and that ended up being a 100 mile joyride to the SC border and back.   There may have been loud music and scream singi

That's an offer from the manufacturer's captive finance company.     The catch appears to be that the 0% APR disqualifies you from many/most other types of incentives on the same vehicle.

Posted Images

On 2/25/2019 at 8:06 PM, cv91915 said:

A friend of mine in Chicago just got a new Civic (he traded in his Fit), and posted a picture of the Civic on Facebook.

 

The knob-slobbering comments remind me of the feigned positivity that often results when someone posts a picture of a truly, undeniably ugly child (or grandchild).

 

Nothing wrong with basic transportation, but good lord.  :swoon: 

Was it a hybrid?

 

 

 

 

THE CAR... THE CAR .. not the child!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

For just over $60K I can get a real two door sports car including a manual gearbox such as a Ford Shelby GT500. Brand new.

I would never own a car with a manual transmission.  At least not one that I'd routinely drive.  And I don't want any extra cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hegemony said:

I'm serious about this truck: https://products.rivian.com/

 

there's also an SUV in the works.

 

not a tesla and not common. as an owner of a Merc and past owner of three bimmers this truck looks like a great non-hipster alternative to the vanilla looking AMG and overpriced S-class... Porsche is fine if you like looking like an aspirational realtor.

Those are both more truckish than I am targeting.  We don't need two SUVs and a pickup is really overkill for our lifestyle.  A demanding cargo day for us would mean there's a sale on Diet Coke and I need to get two 12-packs home from the store.

 

I can see TAD going for either of these, since he's fascinated with electric vehicle technology.  He was recently researching the feasibility of buying a mid-50s Thunderbird and converting it to electric.  👀

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 4:42 AM, cv91915 said:

Here is my working list of possibilities, which I will update as thoughts evolve.  

 

I still need to consult a list of every production model sold in the US, sorted by volume.  I usually start at the bottom for ideas and work my way up.  

 

One of the many things I despise about the Lexus is trying to figure out which of the 82 silver RXs in the grocery store parking lot is ours.

 

Mercedes AMG GT (coupe, not convertible)

  • Need to determine if this is suitable as a daily driver;
  • Not sure if they make an AWD model;
  • Need to determine the cost of MBI coverage for post-warranty repairs;
  • Need to check with the independent Mercedes mechanic I used in San Diego to get his thoughts on reliability.

Mercedes S-Class Coupe (4MATIC, not convertible)

  • I've loved this car since it came out.  This is on the must-drive list;
  • I don't want the convertible because of the climate in Mudland (either hot and sh1tty or cold and sh1tty);
  • Not sure which flavor (S550, S55, S63) or if all are even available with the 4MATIC option;
  • Need to determine the cost of MBI coverage for post-warranty repairs;
  • Need to check with the independent Mercedes mechanic I used in San Diego to get his thoughts on reliability;
  • Risk is looking like a rich old geezer.  Main concern is the old geezer part.

Porsche Panamera (redesigned 2017 or later)

  • Not sure which flavor, but definitely AWD;
  • I almost bought one of these in San Diego, and I've always had a twinge of regret for going in a different direction;
  • Feels a bit like a compromise from just getting a 911, and we really don't need a sedan.

Porsche 911

  • Not sure which flavor, still researching;
  • Risk is oozing "mid-life crisis," but at least it's not a Corvette;
  • May make more sense to just get a sports car than a performance sedan, since we really don't need the extra room, and almost never have other passengers with us.

I am 100% sure I don't want a Porsche Cayenne or Macan, and most probably not a Cayman.

I checked on insurance for the Mercedes options.

 

The next car will be a replacement for the Prius, which costs $557/year to insure.  

 

For the same coverage:

  • A 2016 S-Class Coupe would be $1,543-1,632 per year, depending on the specific model (I had her quote S550 4MATIC and an S65).
  • A 2016 AMG GT would be $1,385. 

I was expecting the AMG GT to be the most expensive...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 1:53 PM, cv91915 said:

I would never own a car with a manual transmission.  At least not one that I'd routinely drive.  And I don't want any extra cars.

To each their own...the lack of a manual tends to remove something from the list of considerations. 

 

And I like having cars to choose from...I am down to five at the moment though LOL!  Only one has a note but the F-Type will soon be paid in full.  The amount of miles I log in a given year makes it easier to justify multiple vehicles although I did have 400K miles on the Mustang when I sold it (those were the days when I only had two I was driving).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 9:09 AM, cv91915 said:

[snipped]

BMW only needs to worry about 2020, after that there will be no need for a grille as we'll all be driving air conditioned golf carts after that, or at least until 2032 when the sun finally burns us up like Betelgeuse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 7:42 AM, cv91915 said:

Here is my working list of possibilities, which I will update as thoughts evolve.  

 

I still need to consult a list of every production model sold in the US, sorted by volume.  I usually start at the bottom for ideas and work my way up.  

 

One of the many things I despise about the Lexus is trying to figure out which of the 82 silver RXs in the grocery store parking lot is ours.

 

Mercedes AMG GT (coupe, not convertible)

  • Need to determine if this is suitable as a daily driver;
  • Not sure if they make an AWD model;
  • Need to determine the cost of MBI coverage for post-warranty repairs;
  • Need to check with the independent Mercedes mechanic I used in San Diego to get his thoughts on reliability.

Mercedes S-Class Coupe (4MATIC, not convertible)

  • I've loved this car since it came out.  This is on the must-drive list;
  • I don't want the convertible because of the climate in Mudland (either hot and sh1tty or cold and sh1tty);
  • Not sure which flavor (S550, S55, S63) or if all are even available with the 4MATIC option;
  • Need to determine the cost of MBI coverage for post-warranty repairs;
  • Need to check with the independent Mercedes mechanic I used in San Diego to get his thoughts on reliability;
  • Risk is looking like a rich old geezer.  Main concern is the old geezer part.

Porsche Panamera (redesigned 2017 or later)

  • Not sure which flavor, but definitely AWD;
  • I almost bought one of these in San Diego, and I've always had a twinge of regret for going in a different direction;
  • Feels a bit like a compromise from just getting a 911, and we really don't need a sedan.

Porsche 911

  • Not sure which flavor, still researching;
  • Risk is oozing "mid-life crisis," but at least it's not a Corvette;
  • May make more sense to just get a sports car than a performance sedan, since we really don't need the extra room, and almost never have other passengers with us.

I am 100% sure I don't want a Porsche Cayenne or Macan, and most probably not a Cayman.

I just drove a black 2017 S550 4MATIC Coupe with 15,000 miles.  CPO.   This is one B-I-G coupe.

 

Absolutely gorgeous car, but it was something less than $91,000 worth of exciting.  

 

I would still consider an earlier model year (2015 or 2016) at a lower price point.  

 

Based on today's test drive, though, I tend to believe that the S63 is closer to what I want.  

 

Another MB dealer in town had a white 2016 S63 with 2x,000 miles, but it was no longer in stock when I went to make an appointment to see it today.

 

The search continues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I just drove a black 2017 S550 4MATIC Coupe with 15,000 miles.  CPO.   This is one B-I-G coupe.

 

Absolutely gorgeous car, but it was something less than $91,000 worth of exciting.  

 

I would still consider an earlier model year (2015 or 2016) at a lower price point.  

 

Based on today's test drive, though, I tend to believe that the S63 is closer to what I want.  

 

Another MB dealer in town had a white 2016 S63 with 2x,000 miles, but it was no longer in stock when I went to make an appointment to see it today.

 

The search continues.

Once you know what model you want, use a national site like cars.com and you can find a whole range of options all over the US, and shipping a car is not all that expensive.  Another option you might want to check out is swap a lease.  You can take over someone else's lease on a car and it'll give you an idea as to whether or not you'd want one long term.  At that point you can buy the one you're driving or look for a similar one.  Basically a long term rental. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

Once you know what model you want, use a national site like cars.com and you can find a whole range of options all over the US, and shipping a car is not all that expensive.  Another option you might want to check out is swap a lease.  You can take over someone else's lease on a car and it'll give you an idea as to whether or not you'd want one long term.  At that point you can buy the one you're driving or look for a similar one.  Basically a long term rental. 

I have completely ruled out getting a fresh lease on a new vehicle because I put on so few miles (~3,000 a year), but I do look at Swapalease regularly and I am warm to the idea.

 

I would buy something within ~750 miles and go pick it up, but I am not inclined to risk getting entangled in a dispute with a shipper and a random seller on a car I've never seen or driven.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gone back and read this several times, trying to talk myself into a 740i for $699/month + tax + $2k DAS (and MSDs, but you get that back)...  although I wouldn't qualify for loyalty cash but possibly would for conquest.

 

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/unicorn-pt-2-2019-bmw-740i-new-699-mo-plus-tax-driveoffs-plus-msds/110016/4 

 

 

 

 

Edited by cv91915
Link to post
Share on other sites

With your comments re: the 911, you might want to append the list to include the Jaguar F-Type.  It is one of the vehicles in my current fleet and has been functioning almost as a daily driver for the better part of the past year.  Aside from the issues that came from having the weak 1st-gen clutch that was replaced under warranty, it has been easy to maintain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, centex said:

With your comments re: the 911, you might want to append the list to include the Jaguar F-Type.  It is one of the vehicles in my current fleet and has been functioning almost as a daily driver for the better part of the past year.  Aside from the issues that came from having the weak 1st-gen clutch that was replaced under warranty, it has been easy to maintain. 

Possibly.  

 

I miss my Mercedes a lot, and wish I'd gotten a Panamera last time. Long boring story.

 

So I need to get MB and Porsche out of my system (even if that means drive/eliminate) before I can add any other serious candidates to the list.

 

I have the BMW 750i on my tier two list right now, but I'm not 100% serious about that one either.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 12:54 PM, cv91915 said:

 

I drove a 2016 CPO 740i this morning while I was out doing other things.

 

It was a lot of car for ~$47,000.  

 

The performance on the 740 was more than adequate, and it was definitely more fun than the S550 Coupe, but I was hoping for a bit more... excitement?  Probably not the perfect word, but I didn't love it enough to buy it on the spot.

 

The 7 stays on the Tier 2/Maybe list, but I'm pretty certain I'd want a 750.  

 

(Before anyone asks, I definitely don't want an M5 or anything smaller).

 

I may try to drive a 750 this afternoon... 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.





  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      180,857
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    ray2
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines