cv91915

The Car Thread

4 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

That is the ugliest thing I have seen in quite some time...yet someone will probably buy it.

almost as bad as the Aztek/Rendevous

If you're going to have an SUV, get a real one. None of this transverse-engine, front-wheel drive based namby pamby crossover business. At least it's a real, proper truck. The G-Wagen isn't a looker either, but damn if I don't want one.

We are on day 7 of 7 with our rented Subaru Outback. 

This 4-cylinder engine has the power equivalent of an electric toothbrush, and the exterior color resembles the explosion of diarrhea that would follow a binge on black licorice. 

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

We are on day 7 of 7 with our rented Subaru Outback. 

This 4-cylinder engine has the power equivalent of an electric toothbrush, and the exterior color resembles the explosion of diarrhea that would follow a binge on black licorice. 

The 4-cylinder is terribad. Well, all 4-cylinders are terribad. I had to have the 6-cylinder. Besides, I can say I have a backwards Porsche. I even thought about getting the license plate EHCSROP. No one would understand it, though.

I know exactly what color you're talking about.

7 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

The 4-cylinder is terribad. Well, all 4-cylinders are terribad. I had to have the 6-cylinder. Besides, I can say I have a backwards Porsche. I even thought about getting the license plate EHCSROP. No one would understand it, though.

I know exactly what color you're talking about.

Mom has the four-banger in hers...I tried to persuade her to get the six but she does not expect to sell it (she is over 70 and paid it off roughly a year after purchase even though it was a 0% deal) and drives less than 6K miles per year.  I've driven it, to the extent one can say that was driving...I think I got passed by a snail using a walker.  It does get good mileage though...for those that actually care about such things. 

On 9/13/2019 at 5:01 PM, hegemony said:

the outback no longer has a 6 cyl option IIRC

I got the last year with it (2019) and the 2020 generation uses the same 2.4L turbo-4 from the Ascent. I truly love the 3.6. It's not the most powerful thing anymore (256hp) but it so buttery smooth and feels much more powerful than it really is. I don't know what I'll go with when my lease is up, but it will not be  a 4-cylinder. I have until December 2021 to decide, and by that time I'll be itching to get back into something German anyway.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:38 PM, hegemony said:

almost as bad as the Aztek/Rendevous

That's Heisenberg's ride up until the last season though! Also, they looked like a BMW X6, sorry

19 minutes ago, Lander said:

That's Heisenberg's ride up until the last season though! Also, they looked like a BMW X6, sorry

what? who? X6 is fugly too

walter-55f2eac603cb0.jpg

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/used-pontiac-azteks-are-still-hugely-popular-with-younger-buyers-and-its-all-walter-whites-fault/

tumblr_mlkzl3y4GU1ri48nso1_500.png

On 9/15/2019 at 1:35 PM, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Iby that time I'll be itching to get back into something German anyway.

Of course, then you will have to figure out whether it is German-German or American-German LOL! 

12 minutes ago, centex said:

Of course, then you will have to figure out whether it is German-German or American-German LOL! 

a friend of mine likes his gamecock german vehicle. I told him I wouldn't pay that much for something built by a guy named Bubba

I want my Germans made by Hans in Germany. Made in America is a slur when it comes to cars, so that leaves out a few BMWs and Mercedes. I'm thinking Macan/Cayenne, Q7/Q8 type things.

Can't find my own thread back, so I'll post here since it's auto-related.

We just took the RX in to an independent mechanic for a third assessment of what's causing the front end to shake.

We've had the wheels balanced three times (twice by Discount Tire and once at the Lexus dealer).  Each time this temporarily solved the problem, which until recently was only occurring at specific speeds.

The problem is now constant, and noticeable almost the minute the car starts moving.  Yesterday we inspected the front tires for broken belts, but found nothing obvious.

We've been screwing around with this for over a year.  Perhaps it's time to get TAD that Velar he's been wanting...

Edited by cv91915

If there is a broken belt or bent wheel you may notice it driving real slowly on a very flat surface.  A wobble driving slowly is definitely because something is not round, balancing will not affect it.

A more invasive test is to swap the wheels front to back and see if the situation changes.

Were any of the three balancing efforts done with a road-force type of balancing machine or just the standard spin balancing?  And did any of the three efforts include a breaking of the bead to rotate the tire on the wheel? 

Another question is whether any check of suspension components was done, especially at the dealership...I have had a bearing that went bad on the F350 and that created issues very suddenly...when it finally got to the point of being a noticeable issue, you could actually see a lean-in of the wheel assembly.  Surprisingly, it had not given the usual signs of a bad bearing, to include noise or abnormal wear. 

Edited by centex

24 minutes ago, mk_378 said:

If there is a broken belt or bent wheel you may notice it driving real slowly on a very flat surface.  A wobble driving slowly is definitely because something is not round, balancing will not affect it.

A more invasive test is to swap the wheels front to back and see if the situation changes.

12 minutes ago, centex said:

Were any of the three balancing efforts done with a road-force type of balancing machine or just the standard spin balancing?  And did any of the three efforts include a breaking of the bead to rotate the tire on the wheel? 

Another question is whether any check of suspension components was done, especially at the dealership...I have had a bearing that went bad on the F350 and that created issues very suddenly...when it finally got to the point of being a noticeable issue, you could actually see a lean-in of the wheel assembly.  Surprisingly, it had not given the usual signs of a bad bearing, to include noise or abnormal wear. 

I'm at my wit's end with this problem, and as you may have noted in other threads I can't even change a door knob (but I make an incredible roasted tomato sauce with my bare hands!)... so I've given up trying to guess/diagnose.

Good news is tomorrow I'm off to DC for some meetings for the rest of the week, and then to San Diego for a couple of weeks, and it's now in a mechanic's hands.  I left the mechanic with TAD's number.  :lol: 

I'll let you know what they find.  Thanks for the comments and advice -- now and previously.