Sign in to follow this  
wakeupbuddy

collection dispute, need advices!

Hi gurus here,

I got a collection on my 3 CRA reports, for a utility late bill on an apartment which I moved out since 2015. My previous roommate continued using my utility account without my knowledge. Once I saw the collection, I contacted the roommate and he paid off the debt. But as you expected, since he paid off the debt already, i don't have much to argue with collectors. My credit score dropped 100 points (This is the only collection I had in my life)

Before i found out this site, I've started with lexington laws service (yeah i might be very wrong) roughly a month ago, and they mentioned they sent out letters to all 3 CRAs already. But nothing changed on my scores yet.

After reading valuable posts here, I want to dispute with CRAs myself this way: I have evidences to show I weren't living at that apartment since 2015. (I can provide my new apartment lease / utility bills during 2015 to 2019. I even moved to another state since 2017, and started a new job here), and my identity is used by somebody else.  Is this a valid dispute strategy to go? Any advice will be appreciated!

Edited by wakeupbuddy

Unfortunately, no. Not as I see it, anyway. You have no valid reason for a dispute. It was your account at the time the default occurred. The fact that you let someone else continue to use YOUR account is immaterial to the utility company. If you did not close the account when you left, that is tacit permission on your part for the roomie to use it. No judge will believe the "I didn't know" theory, neither will a CA. Even if they did, they would simply tell you that your beef is with the roomie, not the CA or the utility. Since the debt was eventually paid, all you can really do is try to get the utility to do a good will delete.

More information is needed with regard to the roommate...if you did not close the account out, then you have serious issues.  If you DID take constructive steps to close out the account and terminate service, then you have a basis upon which to raise claims with the PUC that MAY resolve the credit-related issue. 

Additionally, if you DID terminate service and roomie continued to have service in your name, then be aware that you may be in a position of having to file a claim for identity theft and pursue criminal charges. 

On 2/18/2019 at 5:44 AM, legaleagle2012 said:

Unfortunately, no. Not as I see it, anyway. You have no valid reason for a dispute. It was your account at the time the default occurred. The fact that you let someone else continue to use YOUR account is immaterial to the utility company. If you did not close the account when you left, that is tacit permission on your part for the roomie to use it. No judge will believe the "I didn't know" theory, neither will a CA. Even if they did, they would simply tell you that your beef is with the roomie, not the CA or the utility. Since the debt was eventually paid, all you can really do is try to get the utility to do a good will delete.

Thanks so much for the reply. After reading your comment, I tried to call the utility company PSEG and talked to their credit / collection department, and basically explained the situation honestly. They told me my debt is sold the the collector "CONTRACT CALLERS INC", so they don't have access to remove it from my report.

I am kinda clueless now: seems good will deletion letter does not work for CAs, especially the debt was paid off already. Should I go for disputing with credit bureau? 

2 hours ago, wakeupbuddy said:

Thanks so much for the reply. After reading your comment, I tried to call the utility company PSEG and talked to their credit / collection department, and basically explained the situation honestly. They told me my debt is sold the the collector "CONTRACT CALLERS INC", so they don't have access to remove it from my report.

I am kinda clueless now: seems good will deletion letter does not work for CAs, especially the debt was paid off already. Should I go for disputing with credit bureau? 

I just realized my debt is paid through the utility company (PSEG)'s website. So PSEG took my payment, but the ownership at that time is already at CA (contract caller INC)?

If the CA owns this debt, I am actually not sure how to proceed, I need help and suggestions .. 

update: the PSEG (original creditor utility company) just called me back, the guy is the supervisor of the previous agent from credit department. He told me they will ask the CA to remove it from my report. And the CA should get the request in 48 hours, and the collection should be removed from my credit report in 1-3 months.

I asked if I could double check with CA next week to see if they receive the request from PSEG. The guy answers yes and sound pretty affirmative. 

So things start looking promising? Will keep status updated here.