Sign in to follow this  
whall1970

Wells Fargo?

My Wells Fargo is over a year old Opportunity Checking.  Its been in good standing and consistent monthly direct deposits.  I called Wells Fargo and went into branch to see if I can upgrade to the regular Everday Checking.  They said they no longer do it themselves that the computer picks certain accounts out and upgrades them.  Has anyone had any experience with this or how to upgrade it?

I have heard this same thing when I was with a friend getting an account at WF. They have a history of screening your reports such as EWS and Chexsystems every few months to verify no new derogatory information appears. I am going to guess they use this same information to decide when and if to upgrade your account. 

These days, second chance options are everywhere and many have approaches that are better than 'wait, see and hope' or 'let the computer decide'. I would focus on trying to get the negative information removed from your file and move on to a bank that has more clear answers for you. Stop letting them think that they are giving you a blessing to have an account with them, while they hold on to your money. 

By the way, my friend ended up getting his account closed a few weeks later.. the chex entry wasnt even that bad, it was almost 2 years old and their response was 'we don't have to tell you why we closed it, and you can come get your money in 10 days'. 

He now has a second chance account at a credit union, which in 6 months was changed to a regular account with a courtesy $750 overdraft line. 

Have you tried just going into the branch and opening a new, additional Everyday Checking?  Then you can close your old opportunity checking.  I've always been given the Everyday checking even with my chex and ews littered with derog's.

I tried applying online for Everyday and says I only qualify for Opportunity.  My Opportunity Checking I have now is over a year old in good standing.  Branch said they might be able to try. and open an everyday checking but no guarantee it won’t be closed by back office 

Yes, my advice was to go into a branch to open.  Applying online is only for the most well qualified, hence your denial.  Many people are approved in branch for the Everyday checking, despite having EWS and Chex entries.