Sign in to follow this  
TheVig

Roaches, fleas, and bedbugs oh my

Apartment life gone wrong.

Sitting on my toilet, pinching one off. I noticed water dripping from the ceiling. Immediately I call the emergency maintenance line. On call maintenance guy comes over and sees the water dripping. Runs upstairs to my neighbors, beats on the door, no answer. He enters the apartment........

Water leak is in the wall.

HOWEVER. My neighbors are nasty. Trash everywhere. Roaches everywhere in broad daylight. Fleas jumping onto the maintenance mans pant legs. Mattress in master bedroom has bedbugs. Plus mold in kitchen and bathroom. 

So what started as a innocent water leak has lead to a environmental nightmare from hell. 

Water is turned off to our building as the leak is coming from a master line in the the wall somewhere. Neighbors just returned home. Apartment manager has now arrived. 

Last time something like this happened in my complex, a company similar to Serve Pro came in and gutted an entire apartment. Removed all carpet, drywall, etc.

Well at least I know why the little old lady living next door to them was complaining about occasionally seeing roaches. Haven't seen none in my apartment. 

25 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

That's one good way to get rid of lousy upstairs neighbors

The eviction and repairs will be very swift. Local TV stations and health dept have a real hard on for stuff like this.

58 minutes ago, TheVig said:

The eviction and repairs will be very swift. Local TV stations and health dept have a real hard on for stuff like this.

Around here, when the TV stations get called in on a situation like that, they seem to place the blame on the landlord for the tenants being a bunch of hoarding schlubs

2 hours ago, TheVig said:

Sitting on my toilet, pinching one off. I noticed water dripping from the ceiling.

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago in the master bathroom when it was below zero outside.

The exhaust fan mixed the icy air in the attic with the warmer air in the bathroom, and the condensation was dripping directly on my head faster than my business was coming out the other end.

I turned off the fan, did a quick undercarriage cleanse, and then finished my job in one of the guest bathrooms.

37 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I turned off the fan, did a quick undercarriage cleanse, and then finished my job in one of the guest bathrooms.

+1 for having a bidet installed

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:15 AM, TheVig said:

Apartment life gone wrong.

Sitting on my toilet, pinching one off. I noticed water dripping from the ceiling. Immediately I call the emergency maintenance line. On call maintenance guy comes over and sees the water dripping. Runs upstairs to my neighbors, beats on the door, no answer. He enters the apartment........

Water leak is in the wall.

HOWEVER. My neighbors are nasty. Trash everywhere. Roaches everywhere in broad daylight. Fleas jumping onto the maintenance mans pant legs. Mattress in master bedroom has bedbugs. Plus mold in kitchen and bathroom. 

So what started as a innocent water leak has lead to a environmental nightmare from hell. 

Water is turned off to our building as the leak is coming from a master line in the the wall somewhere. Neighbors just returned home. Apartment manager has now arrived. 

Last time something like this happened in my complex, a company similar to Serve Pro came in and gutted an entire apartment. Removed all carpet, drywall, etc.

Well at least I know why the little old lady living next door to them was complaining about occasionally seeing roaches. Haven't seen none in my apartment. 

Wow! What a mess.

Last year I had a water leak that was also inside the walls. It was on the hot water side of the line leading to the shower but it was small and only happened when the shower was running. There was no visual sign of the leak at all.

I discovered it by accident using a FLIR camera/imager to look for ducting breaks and insulation voids in the HVAC. There was a large, 6' long, 4' high, region where the wall temp was around 0.5 to 1.5F lower than elsewhere. Very distinctive from other walls with mostly regular patterns from wall studs.

Caught it before there was any damage to the wood but some mold  was starting to grow and it would have been a real mess after another year or so.

FLIRs are really handy for detecting all sorts of things that are otherwise not easy to check.