Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
TheVig

Vig’s Choice Hotels Stays and Points Earnings 2019

Recommended Posts

Starting this thread to document the points earning potential of the Choice Privileges program. This thread hopefully may be of value to the budget traveler. Nothing against Hyatt or Marriott, but the sun doesn’t have to rise and set with just those two programs.

 

Choice Hotels include the following properties:

Ascend Hotel Collection

Cambria Hotels

Comfort Inn

Comfort Suites

Sleep Inn

Quality Inn

Clarion

Mainstay Suites

Suburban Extended Stay

Econo Lodge

Rodeway Inn

Woodspring Suites** Recently acquired by Choice Hotels

 

Free nights typically start around 8000 points per night.

 

Choice Privileges Visa earns 5 points per $ spent directly at Choice properties. 2 points for everything else. Hotel stays earn 10 points per $ spent. Numerous promotions are ran all the time further boosting points earning.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started 2019 with 890 points.

 

South Carolina 1/28/2019-2/1/2019

Quality Inn 4 nights 3020 points

Winter Double Points Promotion 3020

Choice Your Extra Bonus Points 400

 

YTD Points 7330

 

I will add the points earned from the Choice Privileges Visa when those actually post.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Carolina 2/4/2019-2/8/2019

Quality Inn 4 nights 2600

Winter Double Promotion 2600

Choice Your Extra Bonus Points 400

Points recieved at check in 260

 

YTD Points 13,190

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

So how many points does it take to get a free upgrade to a vibrating bed?

Lol. Haven’t seen one of those in years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For logistical reasons I may switch an upcoming one-night stay at a Marriott brand in a larger market to an Econo Lodge in my home town.  

 

Since I don't stay in Choice properties often enough to accumulate a meaningful number of points, I will provide my AAdvantage number at check-in and pick up a few miles.  1,500 miles based on the current promotion.

 

https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-privileges/earn-points/airline-miles

 

Last time I stayed at this Econo Lodge the woman behind the front desk recognized my last name, and after talking for a few minutes it was revealed that she and my brother once... um...  YOU know.  

 

At that point I wanted to throw up, so I just went to my room and put my fist through a wall.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cv91915 said:

For logistical reasons I may switch an upcoming one-night stay at a Marriott brand in a larger market to an Econo Lodge in my home town.  

 

Since I don't stay in Choice properties often enough to accumulate a meaningful number of points, I will provide my AAdvantage number at check-in and pick up a few miles.  1,500 miles based on the current promotion.

 

https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-privileges/earn-points/airline-miles

 

Last time I stayed at this Econo Lodge the woman behind the front desk recognized my last name, and after talking for a few minutes it was revealed that she and my brother once... um...  YOU know.  

 

At that point I wanted to throw up, so I just went to my room and put my fist through a wall.

 

 

:lol:

Edited by bigpoppa09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Choice Privileges Visa 34,887 points. Not everything has posted yet. Also waiting on first statement to cut. SUB of 32,000 showed up pretty quick after meeting SUB spend.

 

YTD Total: 48,077 points

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Carolina 2/11/2019-2/15/2019

Quality Inn 4 nights 2600 

Winter Double Promotion 2600

Choice Your Extra Bonus Points 400

Points recieved at check in 260

 

YTD Points Total: 53,937

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Choice Privileges visa statement finally cut. 

 

YTD Points Total: 54,937

 

Data point. Points earned during a billing cycle don't transfer over to Choice until the statement cuts. Once cut, the points show up on the Choice side in about 24-48 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Carolina 2/25/19-3/1/19

Quality Inn 4 nights 3160

Gold Point Bonus 316

Choice Your Extras Bonus Points 400

 

YTD Points Total: 58,813

 

I will hit Platinum status this coming up week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will chime in here to say that Choice properties allow cancellations up till the day/hour of arrival, whereas most of the upper scale properties where I am traveling to in the Texas oil patch only let you cancel a few days ahead.

 

Certainly I would love to stay at the Hilton or similar, but I can't eat the cost if the schedule gets changed last minute.

 

As for quality of Choice properties...they have been from negative stars to a strong 4 depending on the town. Always go take a look at the room before giving any bucks over the counter.

 

Carry on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, whipster said:

I will chime in here to say that Choice properties allow cancellations up till the day/hour of arrival, whereas most of the upper scale properties where I am traveling to in the Texas oil patch only let you cancel a few days ahead.

 

Certainly I would love to stay at the Hilton or similar, but I can't eat the cost if the schedule gets changed last minute.

 

As for quality of Choice properties...they have been from negative stars to a strong 4 depending on the town. Always go take a look at the room before giving any bucks over the counter.

 

Carry on!

I haven't done that at a Choice property in years. Unless you are a newb to the brand, it's kind of a given, that something won't be right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Carolina 3/4/19-3/8/19

Quality Inn 4 nights 3340

Gold Point Bonus 334

Choice Your Extras Bonus Points 400

 

4074 Points

 

YTD Points Total: 62,887

 

I now have Platinum status. 20 more nights until I hit Diamond. I have no plans to redeem any points until October. Mrs. Vig and I will be celebrating 20 years of marriage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheVig said:

South Carolina 3/4/19-3/8/19

Quality Inn 4 nights 3340

Gold Point Bonus 334

Choice Your Extras Bonus Points 400

 

4074 Points

 

YTD Points Total: 62,887

 

I now have Platinum status. 20 more nights until I hit Diamond. I have no plans to redeem any points until October. Mrs. Vig and I will be celebrating 20 years of marriage.

Beautiful!!  Do you have a destination in mind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Beautiful!!  Do you have a destination in mind?

We haven't decided yet. Considering October is the off season for many places we are considering, the points required for free nights is not earth shattering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheVig said:

We haven't decided yet. Considering October is the off season for many places we are considering, the points required for free nights is not earth shattering. 

Beautiful time to visit Banff.  Looks like they have a property in Canmore.

 

https://www.choicehotels.com/alberta/canmore/quality-inn-hotels/cn620?mc=llyxcncnnbl&pmf=canada

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it didn't take Choice very long to cold call me.

 

Got a call this afternoon from their Blue Green vacations dept. (aka timeshares and other assorted flim flam offerings). In typical fashion, the poor bastard was relentless. I had the guy on speaker phone so others around me could hear what desperation sounds like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Columbia SC 3/11/19-3/15/19

Quality Inn 4 nights 2750

Platinum Point Bonus 688

Your Extras Bonus Points 400

2019 Spring promotion. Book two separate stays between Feb 26th-Apr 26th bonus. 5000

 

8838 Points

 

YTD Total: 71,725

Edited by TheVig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 3:43 PM, TheVig said:

Well it didn't take Choice very long to cold call me.

 

Got a call this afternoon from their Blue Green vacations dept. (aka timeshares and other assorted flim flam offerings). In typical fashion, the poor bastard was relentless. I had the guy on speaker phone so others around me could hear what desperation sounds like.

 

Bluegreen Thank You Points 100

I forgot that they said I would get 100 points for listening. Not bad considering I ended up hanging up on the guy after I tried to politely end the call.

 

YTD Total: 71,825

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Choice Privileges Visa statement cut. 6493 points. Includes hotel and non hotel spend.

 

YTD Total: 78,318

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burlington NC 3/18/19-3/22/19

Quality Suites 4 nights 3490

Platinum Point Bonus 873

Your Extras Bonus Points 400

 

4763 Points

 

YTD Total: 83,081

 

12 nights away from Diamond status.

 

On a side note. One thing I should have been documenting on this thread, Is I'm also earning 2 AA miles/$ on all these hotel stays. AAdvantage eShopping Mall-------->Choice Hotels. There are at times better double dipping opprotunities than going thru the AA shopping portal, but the AA miles are more important to me at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Gift Bonus Points 600

Not sure if this is from my Quality Suites stay last week, or from the EconoLodge I'm at this week. Front desk employees at the EconoLodge have been treating me like some sort of celebrity. Lol. Looking at the patrons of this hotel, something tell me they don't see many customers with any kind of status. Or any customers without perpetual hard times in general. 

 

This place is one cluster fuq of a dump. Classic EconoLodge.

 

YTD Points Total: 83,681

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      177,303
    • Most Online
      1,528

    Newest Member
    istaytailored
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines