vezhiux

Cable company Collection in IL. Can they report utility bill?

My buddy missed a last payment after he moved from that cable company, and they placed a collection in few Credit Bureaus. 
Is it legal to report utility bill? If yes, how hard is to get rid of it? Should he try PFD that? Where does he start? Dispute Bureaus first? 
Thanks for any info.

what state is he in? how old is it?

being late once generally does not produce a collection.

7 hours ago, hegemony said:

He didn't miss a payment and then get caught up.  He skipped the final payment, which often also means not returning the cable company's property.

14 hours ago, hegemony said:

It was a last bill, small amount, I mentioned that it is in IL state. It is pretty fresh, 3-4 month old, because he never expected that. 

Edited by vezhiux

7 hours ago, cv91915 said:

He didn't miss a payment and then get caught up.  He skipped the final payment, which often also means not returning the cable company's property.

Yes it is kind of situation just like that. He thought he made a final payment, then they charged for some unreturned box or something and then it is in collection now. He never got a final bill at new address because he did not moved this service he simple disconnected 

34 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

If he still has the cable box, he might still turn it in at a cable company office.

Did. but there is still balance of 70$ which I'm assuming monthly bill. So my question, before he pays that, should he dispute first? Or try PFD option? Or any other option possible?

Probably the residual pro-rated monthly service "after" the final bill was established. Or its some miscellaneous charge like the box was turned in but the remote was missing its batteries or something along those lines.

Do you know for sure this is being reported to the CR's? If not just pay it and be done with it.

3 hours ago, vezhiux said:

Did. but there is still balance of 70$ which I'm assuming monthly bill. So my question, before he pays that, should he dispute first? Or try PFD option? Or any other option possible?

$70

Not 70$.

On 2/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, IndyPoolPlayer said:

If he still has the cable box, he might still turn it in at a cable company office.

AND...when doing so, make damned sure to get the receipt that INCLUDES the serial number of each and every item returned!