shadekitty

Marathon gas card closed by guarantor (comenity)

I took a cross country tip in December with my two kids and used my Marathon Oil gas card to fund most of the trip since I drove. January my balance was $600. I paid $200 on it and was planning on paying it off in full this month.

I got the credit notification before I got the letter in the mail (still waiting on it). Not sure what reason they have, but they must have not liked me using it for what it was intended for. or in that amount apparently.

I haven't seen any other AA on my Comenity cards though, so not sure what the deal is with this one of what they have an issue with. Anyone else see any closures this month?

No closures here. I’ve only got two Comenity cards these days. BJ’s MC $10.5k CL and Williams Sonoma Visa $6.8k CL. Earlier this week they sent me an email telling me they upgraded the Williams Sonoma Visa to visa signature version.

If you go to the online account management website for this card, you should see the following message:

The Marathon Credit Card program has ended, effective 01/31/2019. Because of this, we are no longer accepting new applications for the Marathon Credit Card program. Existing cardmembers will receive additional information about what this change means for your account. Have questions? Please contact Customer Care at 1-866-308-5730, 1-800-695-1788 and we will be happy to help you.

Marathon's subsidiary Speedway ended their IN HOUSE credit card program in the recent past so this is no surprise.

ETA: Speedway has a card through FNBO now. I'd look for the Marathon card to also be issued by FNBO in the near future.

Edited by IndyPoolPlayer
Correction

On 2/8/2019 at 4:49 PM, hdporter said:

If you go to the online account management website for this card, you should see the following message:

Well that explains it! I wish I had known earlier so I could close the account myself instead of having it report that they closed it... 

8 hours ago, shadekitty said:

Well that explains it! I wish I had known earlier so I could close the account myself instead of having it report that they closed it... 

Don't sweat a "closed by creditor" notation ... it has no bearing on your credit score and creditors don't read anything negative into it. 

My credit score plunged by 50 points (fico, not fako)... I wonder if it's because it ate my available credit and it still shows a balance due. 

33 minutes ago, shadekitty said:

My credit score plunged by 50 points (fico, not fako)... I wonder if it's because it ate my available credit and it still shows a balance due

(on a closed card)

ETA - If your CL was still only $650, that high balance didn't help.

Edited by Kat58

I know it didn't, but I had planned on paying it in full once I got back. I just paid it off after they closed, so hopefully next month it will jump back. Just sucks that I didn't have a clue they were closing :( I didn't see any notices on my account.