Duane80907

25 year old restitution case sent to debt collector

Just got a letter from collection agency wanting $2200 from a court case from 1994. I sent a debt collection letter and they sent me my criminal record from 25 years ago.  I paid the restitution when I was out of state.  I didn’t save the receipt from 25 years ago. I have no warrants and a valid license.   Do I send a second debt validation.  They don’t have my signature or anything.  Just a case number from 1994.  

Have you confirmed with the Clerk's Office that the balance shows as paid? 

You are not dealing with a traditional default situation.  You would do well to buy an hour of time with local defense counsel...otherwise you could very well find yourself on the wrong end of a bench warrant and a lengthy extradition trip if you no longer lived in the jurisdiction...

And to all others reading...this is PRECISELY why we tell clients to keep ALL documents related to criminal proceedings into perpetuity!