Jump to content


25 year old restitution case sent to debt collector

Recommended Posts

Just got a letter from collection agency wanting $2200 from a court case from 1994. I sent a debt collection letter and they sent me my criminal record from 25 years ago.  I paid the restitution when I was out of state.  I didn’t save the receipt from 25 years ago. I have no warrants and a valid license.   Do I send a second debt validation.  They don’t have my signature or anything.  Just a case number from 1994.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you confirmed with the Clerk's Office that the balance shows as paid? 


You are not dealing with a traditional default situation.  You would do well to buy an hour of time with local defense counsel...otherwise you could very well find yourself on the wrong end of a bench warrant and a lengthy extradition trip if you no longer lived in the jurisdiction...


And to all others reading...this is PRECISELY why we tell clients to keep ALL documents related to criminal proceedings into perpetuity!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information