Sign in to follow this  
BrunetteCrayon

Help with this darn medical collection

Hey guys. Long time lurker, new poster. I was hoping to get some specific-to-me guidance on how to proceed and to make sure I am taking every step correctly. I have read as many posts as I have been able to over the past year or so. I have started Why Chat's HIPPA process. I have read all of PsychDoc's transcripts. Many, many copies later and I have all my reports in line. My DH's as well. Our end goal is ultimately to buy a house. We started in summer 2017 getting a car after the one we had died on us and had to voluntary surrender it (that was just before I found this site and all this wonderful information). I opened a secured card (now unsecured) in Nov 2017 with Capitol One (its what I could get that wasn't a no name card company you guys warned against). Next it was my DH's unsecured card, Cap One as well, in Aug 2018. He is an authorized user on mine and vice versa with his. All paid 100% on time over the past, almost, 2 years. He also has a small unsecured loan from our bank in 2014 that we paid 100% on time but did not know better and closed the account. Its still reporting though. 

Now on to the nitty-gritty: I got our full reports just after the first of the year. Just purchased both our 3B reports with MyFico. I am going to focus on our Fico 2, 4 and 5 scores as those are the ones we need to increase for our future house purchase (no specific timeline for that, btw, just when it is most ideal/convenient). For our collections, I have old school loans that have already been paid off this time last year (no choice for that with wage garnishment, also before I really got into this site), and a few small medical collections I am going to use WhyChat's HIPPA for. My DH is a bit more complicated. He has 6 old (2017 and older) medical collections we are going to use the HIPPA program for but one collection from last year that I am most worried about. He blew out his knee and required surgery and many xrays and an mri. All we paid for except for the mri, that one slipped through our fingers. Its not large, $162, but it first showed up on all 3 reports in July. Since it is so new would my process for that line item vary at all from Why Chat's HIPPA program? That is essentially my big, burning question. What do I do with that darn thing to get it off. The others aren't really worrisome as we are in Tx and the SOL is 4 years and all the others are 2+ years old, I expect/hope they will be much easier to be rid of.

Btw, We've opted out and just sent our letters for old address deletions, exactly per instructions. 

My Fico 2 is 651 (EX), 4 is 641 (TU), 5 is 626 (EQ).

His Fico 2 is 617 (EX), 4 is 577 (TU), 5 is 545 (EQ).

On the recent medical one ", $162," pay the OC with a shortened version of the HIPAA letter as follows; ( follow the directions in the program)

Please make sure that your payment is in the form of a bank cashiers check or bank money order,(do not use a postal money order). THIS IS CONSIDERED THE SAME AS A CASH PAYMENT, that you make a photo copy of the front and back of the remittance, that your name and address are CLEARLY printed on the remittance, that it is made to the order of THE ORIGINAL HEALTH CARE PROVIDER, and that you print or type clearly in the endorsement section "For Deposit Only to the Account of (name of H.C. provider)Send ALL correspondence to the HIPAA COMPLIANCE OFFICE of the HC provider,CMRR.

(Your Name)
(address)
(City,State, zip)
s.s.# (social security #)
HIPAA Compliance Office
( health care provider creditor)
(address)
(date)
Dear Sir/Madam;
This letter is in reference to (account #) for services provided to (name of patient) on (date of service).
In regard to the bill on this account in the amount of ($___):
Enclosed please find my remittance of ($___) for payment in full of this account.

Please note, my remittance is payable ONLY to (hc provider) and may not be signed over or transferred to any third party collection agency, as this would constitute a  violation of HIPAA,
Copies of this correspondence and a copy of the remittance check may be used for any further actions with State or Federal agencies
Please be advised that under Federal Statutes. the Fair Credit Reporting Act,  APPLICATION OF SECURITY PROVISIONS AND PENALTIES TO BUSINESS ASSOCIATES OF COVERED ENTITIES;The term ‘‘breach of security’’ means, with respect to unsecured PHR identifiable health information of an individual in a personal health record, acquisition of such information without the authorization of the individual. you may be held liable for the actions of (collection agency name).
Your continued furnishing of my account information to (collection agency name), is no longer in compliance with HIPAA, and any subsequent reporting of this account on my credit reports to (credit reporting bureaus) is a clear violation of Public Law 104-191 ("HIPAA") since there can be no permissible business purpose in divulging protected health information to anyone on an account once there is no longer any payment due.In addition the new Omnibus Final Rule states:when patients pay out of pocket in full, they can instruct their provider to refrain from sharing information.This letter serves as that instruction.
Therefore I am requesting you promptly rescind all such account information furnished to (collection agency) and require them to purge their records of all reference to this account, and that you insure that any and all reporting of this account is immediately deleted from my credit reports.
This simple procedure to request the deletion of ALL reference to this account from the records of ( collection agency name) and to require them to have this account information deleted in its entirety from my credit reports will resolve this problem completely.
I am reserving the right, to take appropriate legal and civil action including reporting to any applicable regulatory authorities any lack of cooperation or compliance with this request.
I hereby waive my rights under HIPAA and any State Privacy Act for the single purpose of your transmission of this request and accompanying documentation in any required report you must make to your E &O insurance carrier.
Sincerely,
signature
(Your Name)

Once you are sure that the money order has been deposited, wait 10 business days and check your reports to see if there has been any change. Then send the CRAs the initial dispute letter and include this account with ALL your other accounts.

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

If there has been a change on that account to a "paid" collection then you will have a different follow up if the account is verified.

Come back to this post with your results for further instructions.

Ok, another question for you, Why Chat. I've been plugging along in this process exactly as you have said. So far I have received the letters from the deletion of old addresses and sent out the initial dispute letters to the CRA's (talk about a hurry up and wait situation 😒) however, in the process of waiting, I have been keeping an eye on my reports. I received the letters from all 3 CRA's about the deletions of old addresses and for TU and Experian they both removed the old addresses they said they would. Equifax on the other hand sent me a letter informing me that the addresses have been deleted but they all still show up on my report. The letter they sent is a month old by now and they sent that out right at 30 days from the time they got my letter to delete old addresses. Am I being impatient or should those addresses have been removed in the, almost, month and a half since this really got started?

Ok, its been a while, life has been busy, so here is my update. My husbands process is a bit farther behind mine as it took an update on his DL before we could get started. However, I did the initial dispute letters to each CRA. Both Transunion and Equifax have removed the accounts on my report. I now only have my accounts in good standing on both. Experian is a bit different. Of the 4 that were on my report, they have deleted 2 and updated 2, simply writing that the 2 that stayed have had the information updated and to review my report for the details. I haven't received anything from either of the CA that are reporting. I haven't gone any further in sending out any other letters just yet. I wanted to check in with you. Thank you for all your help so far. It is greatly appreciated. 

We have sent out the initial dispute letters for my husbands issues and now just have to wait for the responses. 

I have not sent those out, but had them queued up and ready to go. Just wanted a confirmation. Those will go out today. Should I expect the same 30 day turn around for these as the past letters?

Thanks Why Chat!

30 day turnaround?? I don't understand your question.

Ideally if you send the follow up dispute to Ex as soon as you have proof of delivery of the medical DV to the CA you will get an immediate deletion. If not, come back here for the next step.

Ok, so I've sent the medical DV's to the CA's and the follow up to Experian. Unfortunately, Experian just received the follow up letter yesterday as it was delayed in transport by the USPS. I received a letter today from one of the accounts that were left on Experian and this is what it says, "Until verification or the result of our investigation is completed and sent to you, we are requesting deletion(s) from the CRA's. Our control of reports to CRA's is limited to reports our office initiates. Regardless of the CRA status, our client is the owner of this account(s). Weekly updates are scheduled to be sent to the CRA's electronically." This account has been removed from my Experian report. 

I have not received anything from the other account on my Experian report, however that letter was also delayed in the mail by the USPS, so they received it a few days later than expected, but I did get confirmation of delivery on the 17th. 

Is there anything I should do about this?

Has the account been "removed" from your Ex report??

Check the "back door"

What is the reason for the USPS?? Weather??

Don't do anything unless and until you get a response from Ex on the other account.

(How come the 2 letters were sent separately??) 

The one account I received a letter for has been removed. The other account was from a different CA in Minnesota. That one was delayed a short while due to the USPS not having access to the delivery location on the day of delivery, though all addresses I have had were PO Boxes. The follow up letter for Experian was mailed on the same day and the USPS didn't give an exact reason for the delay, just that it was delayed in route to the next facility. However, I have received confirmations that all 3 envelopes were delivered successfully. There is still just the one account (from the CA in Minnesota) left on my Experian report. 

I would guess that your letters to the CAs were forwarded several times. That, by the way is one of the reasons I tell people to send their letters priority mail WITHOUT a signature required. Certified and/or mail requiring a signature is not forwarded.

Ok! Progress. Again, thank you SO much Why Chat. I just received a letter from my last collections account notifying me that the account will be removed. Yay! That makes all of my reports clean as a whistle. 

My husband has also had a lot of progress on his disputes. TransUnion has removed all collections accounts from his report and Experian has removed all but 3. He has prepared the medical DV letters and the follow up for Ex to be sent out this coming week. He has not seen any movement from Equifax so far, but I expect to see something happen within this next week and we will go from there. 

He does have a vehicle repossession on his TransUnion and Equifax reports that I was curious if we would be a good candidate for your repossession deficiency dispute process on your website. We had financed the vehicle in only his name back in April 2015 as he was the only one working at the time. In December of 2016 we blew a rod in the engine rendering the car unusable and at the time we didn't have any other recourse than to voluntary surrender the vehicle to the creditor. It has been over 2 years since the they took possession of the vehicle, though I am not sure if they ended up reselling it or scrapping it. They never came after us, no collections attempt had ever been made to the best of our knowledge, but the account sure did show up as a charge off by voluntary repossession on his reports. TransUnion show a $0 balance due while Equifax shows just over $2800 due on it. With this information, do you think we should bother? Would the dispute process work to get it removed?

Posted (edited)

Check out the data on the repo program

https://whychat.me/repoltr.html

If ALL of his medical accounts have been resolved on Eq he can start the repo program on Eq. He can do TU now

Yes the dispute program should certainly get it removed.

Edited by Why Chat

Another update on our progress. Since my last post, my husband has received the response from Equifax. They claim to have verified all the collections on his accounts so we moved ahead with the medical DV letters for each account and the CRA follow up for those letters. We received 2 responses from different CA so far. One sent a copy of the "billing statements", as they called them and the other didn't bother to send anything of substance, just a letter saying they investigated themselves (😂🤣🙄🤦‍♀️) and found the "total amount owed is accurate." All of the accounts left on both his Equifax and Experian reports were from a total of 3 CA, so we still have one more company to respond and we have not received anything from either Equifax or Experian on this. What is your suggestion for follow up responses from the two companies who have replied? Again, thanks so much WhyChat.

Yes, though we have not heard from either Equifax or Experian. Should we wait to see the results of the follow up letters to the CRA's? Am I just being too impatient, lol?

13 hours ago, BrunetteCrayon said:

Yes, though we have not heard from either Equifax or Experian. Should we wait to see the results of the follow up letters to the CRA's? Am I just being too impatient, lol?

If it has been more than 30 days since the CRAs received the follow up disputes and there has been no change or response, then try to use the "back door" to see what is going on with your reports.

Ok, so I was hoping this wouldn't happen to us, but it seems my luck isn't so great. I just had a collections account pop up on my Experian report (after getting it all clean 🤬).  I am aware of the account and the balance. It came from an anesthesiology company that handled my sons birth 4 1/2 years ago. They apparently didn't record our insurance properly and tried to come after us for the full amount of the service. I attempted to call them for months after the bills started showing up, but they always went to voicemail, essentially, and no one ever called back. I tried to get my insurance company to deal with this, but they required the actual company to file a claim with them, which they never did (or even tried to do apparently). So now some JDB has purchased this account and slapped it on my Experian report. To say I am mad is an understatement. Though I guess its best it happens now as we have not officially started the home buying process as we are still working on cleaning up my husbands reports. 

So, the question is, do I start this process from the very beginning? I have already opted out (again!) and wont need to remove old addresses. So, I send the initial dispute letter to Experian? 

PS. I cant thank this site and those who have helped out enough. Without this forum we wouldn't be where we are now with the knowledge we have. While I am mad, I know there is a process to handle this. Before I would have felt helpless and despondent. THANK YOU CREDITBOARDS and WHYCHAT!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Yes, send the initial dispute letter to Ex.

Double check with your insurance Co to make sure that they never received any kind of claim for the anesthesiology.

So, I finally have an update on my husbands progress. I swear this last month felt like it took forever, lol. Of all the old accounts we have disputed all but 3 have been removed. 2 are held with a CA called RS Clark & Assoc., the 3rd with a CA called Synerprise. After we sent the medical DV to RS Clark they sent back a letter saying they need more time to validate the debt and EQ "verified" the accounts. Synerprise simply sent letter saying they researched it and validated the account and EQ verified it, as well. Is there a next step for these 3? 

EX has removed all his accounts except the newest account I referenced in my very first post (to which you provided the shortened HIPAA letter for us to use). 

Speaking of, that account has been paid with the letter that you included above. It had to happen at a later date than when we started your process for the other (older) accounts, but we were able to verify the payment was cashed on the 16th of this month. This account still shows as not paid and reporting on his EQ and EX reports. What is the next step for that? Do I send out the letter titled "INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOLLOW UP TO "HIPAA" LETTER TO ORIGINAL CREDITOR HEALTH CARE PROVIDER" from your site, or do you recommend I use something else? 

My most recent dispute has not yet concluded. 

On the account you paid.

Give it until Sept. 16 and then double check your reports. Look to see if the subject account has changed in any way. If it hasn't changed look to see if it is being reported as "disputed by consumer".

If it hasn't changed then yes, send the follow up letter you cited.

On your husband's remaining 3 accounts

Are all 3 remaining accounts on all 3 of his reports?

You DID send the CRAs the follow up dispute after sending the CAs the medical DV didn't you?

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#DISPUTE