Sign in to follow this  
wwanderer

I have 2 credit files

I now have a 2nd file on EQ, according to my 3B report pulled today. TU, EX, EQ all have split files, one with my old name and one with new name. Only current creditors reporting on new file. DOB correct on TU and EQ, wrong on EX

Not sure what to do about the DOB on Experian. I assume that might make it more difficult to get them to merge if I want to go that route?

I read a bunch of other threads about split files and note that they are ALL years old with no recent activity. Is that because this is less common now?? Or because of less activity on this forum? 

Anyway, all the old threads seem to talk about how it was difficult to get split files merged. I am wondering if that is still the case. 

50 minutes ago, wwanderer said:

I read a bunch of other threads about split files and note that they are ALL years old with no recent activity. Is that because this is less common now?? Or because of less activity on this forum? 

It's because most people have read enough to learn how to handle this situation.

Let me put it very simply, just call each repository up and get ahold of customer service or whatever they call themselves, and tell them you have multiple files on their system.  They will verify and put in a request to merge.   That's the only time I recommend you call the bureaus.   That should solve your problem.

Ok thanks. I’m not trying to merge it yet as I still want to get rid of the 1 remaining collection first, if possible. 

On 2/10/2019 at 12:57 PM, MarvBear said:

I can easily create a 2nd consumer file for a credit applicant; I learned how to do it from naysaying consumers.

Order of importance, in my opinion, based on observation

1. Your name. 2. your street address, 3. your city, 4.your state of residence, 5. you zip code 6. your date of birth. 7. possibly a generational suffix.

That explains why it was so hard for me to get my three credit reports when I started rebuilding. I hadn't had a mortgage or a CC in nine years and there were only two closed loans showing on my reports.

Thank You.

Little update. I think Experian may have figured out about the split. After nothing updating on my original file for a while, my current credit card balances have suddenly started showing up on that file again, in addition to updating on the new file. They are definitely still split as of right now. 

I pulled a 3B report on TU and can see none of the old file info. I tried to pull a 3B report on EX and keep getting a “something went wrong” error (3 times). 

Also, my EX fico just finally passed into “good” range with a 675. That’s a long way from the barely over 500 I had 1.5 year ago. YAY for that. 

That one blasted paid collection is still hanging on. The EX score simulater says if keep paying my bills on time for the next TWO YEARS my score will raise to a whopping 705!!! It is amazing how much just ONE paid collection hurts your credit scores, and for how long. Sheesh. 

My scores on the new file with only 1 year of age, are all in 720s. 

Will see how long it takes the bureaus to merge my 2 files. 

To the bureaus, there is NO such thing as a split file.  A consumer MIGHT have multiple files that require merging. 

Whatever you want to call it. I have 2 separate credit files which clearly happened due to the name change. Creditboards posters call this “split file”. I couldn’t find any info on this website when searching things like “2 credit files” or “multiple credit files”. I found a bunch of threads when searching “split file” as Marv suggested. 

Some folks might call your comment “split hairs”. Lol 

44 minutes ago, wwanderer said:

Whatever you want to call it. I have 2 separate credit files which clearly happened due to the name change. Creditboards posters call this “split file”. I couldn’t find any info on this website when searching things like “2 credit files” or “multiple credit files”. I found a bunch of threads when searching “split file” as Marv suggested. 

Some folks might call your comment “split hairs”. Lol 

If you deal with a CRA for a resolution for this problem, then it would be wiser IMO to refer to the problem as "multiple files".    I just searched and found over 13 pages regarding "multiple files".   You have a much better chance of being understood by a credit bureau customer service representative.  

On 2/10/2019 at 11:08 AM, MarvBear said:

And your search terms might have been more appropriate had you used the following terms perhaps:

Split file or split files

Multiple file or multiple files

That is commonly what our long term contributors have named the phenomenon.

Lol

So I’ll be sure to call it “multiple files” if I want to aak the bureaus to merge them. Thanks for that tip. 

I am still not trying to get them merged just yet, as that one collection still lingers on the original file. I have a new goodwill letter out for that, in my continued effort to get it removed. 

For now I’m just watching both files.