Sign in to follow this  
wwanderer

I have 2 credit files

I did a legal name change a few months ago and have been getting my name updated with current creditors. I wasn’t seeing updates to my credit reports for existing accounts (except one). After checking account monitoring via my Discover card, and seeing only 2 accounts and no inquiries, I signed up for credit monitoring thru TransUnion. Checked all 3 credit reports. I definitely have a new credit file with the new name. It only shows 4 of my existing credit accounts, no inquiries, no old accounts. 

Obviously I have the same SSN and that has been updated with Social Security. My old credit file still does not show the new name. There is 1 old paid collection on that file + a few old positive accounts and a few inquiries. 

All the current accounts are newer, paid on time, etc. So at least for the time being, I have a brand new credit file under my new name. 

What do I do with this?? Everything I read said when you change your name, it just gets reported as normal because it’s all tied to the social and the new name will be reflected on the existing credit report, as creditors update their info. Clearly that has not happened here. 

My new name is extremely different from old name. I changed the whole thing, including first, middle, last. Presumably that’s why the new file.

2 hours ago, wwanderer said:

It only shows 4 of my existing credit accounts, no inquiries, no old accounts. 

That obviously puts you under 5/24. I'd say spree is in order.

What do I do with this??

That depends.

-Is there anything bad on your old reports?

-Do your old reports show more new accounts than the new ones?

-Is your oldest account still open?

If this happened to me the first thing I'd do is take advantage of being <5/24 and run a spree, starting with Chase. Then I'd try to merge the reports (because I have nothing bad in my files except LOL/24). If you have old derogatories YMMV.

I have 1 paid collection on the old file. My new file is very new, everything less than 1 year old. Unfortunately when my Discover card reported, they showed my balance in the middle of billing cycle with a high balance, not the low statement balance, so my current reported utilization on the new file is high. 

By any chance did you contact TransUnion's fraud department and try to dispute old addresses, name combos and inquiries with TransUnion like you did with Experian?

I have a 2nd credit file with both TransUnion and Experian. Do not see anything from Equifax on the 2nd file. However, most of my current accounts have not been reporting on my old file at any of the 3 bureaus. 

I previously disputed personal information on all 3 bureaus, and had by far the most success with Experian. 

I got excited and did some apps, got approved for Delta Sky Miles Amex, which is what I wanted for a while. 2 others pending review. I have a sneaking suspicion that these apps may trigger a file merge, which is fine. 

2 hours ago, wwanderer said:

It’s like pulling teeth. What does that mean? Specifically and in detail. 

Look at the soft inquiry section of one of your credit reports that you obtained directly from one of the bureaus.

Current creditors will look at your report periodically to ensure that your other accounts aren't going down in flames.

Once your two files are glued back together, what happens when one of your new card issuers softs your file and sees that your report looks nothing like the one they used to approve you?

By the way, and this is meant constructively, you will sometimes get short answers here that put some of the burden to research further on you, especially when terms like "account review" aren't particularly arcane.

It's impossible every time someone asks a question to start the response from the time the Earth cooled.  

This isn't unique to this board.  Most forums grow weary of people who consistently expect to be spoon-fed and then lash out when they aren't.

Edited by cv91915

18 hours ago, wwanderer said:

It’s like pulling teeth. What does that mean? Specifically and in detail. 

you can't handle the detail

Thanks for the answer. I have found no info regarding what might be bad about an account review after someone had 2 credit files. Didn’t even find info on having 2 files. I’m also sure it’s not terribly common for someone to have 2 credit files. I certainly didn’t ask for that - just noticed it via credit monitoring. 

Asking for a specific answer instead of a one-liner that explains nothing isn’t expecting to be spoon fed. Obviously I have done a ton of research on my own, in the past 1.5 year of working on my credit. If folks don’t want to be bothered with people asking questions, what are you here for?? 

I’m sure there are better things to do than give people a hard time for asking questions on a forum where the entire purpose is information sharing. 

Edited by wwanderer

CV filled in the blanks if you bother to read.

if you want cupcake answers, head over to MFF.

Obviously I did read and said thanks for the answer, in the very first sentence. And then I went on to explain that I couldn’t find any info relating to my situation and that’s why I, god forbid, asked a question and requested an actual answer. 

Other folks helped you all before.  Giving actual answers in a thread like this doesn’t just help me, but anyone else who might come here with a similar problem. It may be unusual, but I’m sure I’m not the first person to have this happen and not know what to do about it. 

Edited by wwanderer

sorry but what about trying to make you aware of unintended consequences when an issuer sees a derog on a (merged or "second" ) report hurt your feelings?

What about trying to get actual answers on an information sharing forum, hurts yall’s feelings?? CV at least bothered to answer. You just keep posting useless crap. 

And By the way your social security number is right at the 6th level of importance in matching you to a credit file in case you didn't know.

20 hours ago, MarvBear said:

My searches for 2 credit files, 2nd credit file etc, pulled up nothing. I was looking for something related to that, not just account review in general. 

20 hours ago, MarvBear said:

And By the way your social security number is right at the 6th level of importance in matching you to a credit file in case you didn't know.

I don’t know what that means. There are 5 levels more important than SSN?? If so, what are these 5 more important levels? 

The responses in my other thread (name change) were all saying it’s tied to social as if it wouldn’t be possible for someone to end up with a 2nd file after a name change. Everything I read before said that if you update your name with creditors it will get reported and updated on your credit file without you doing anything else. Clearly, that isn’t always the case. Lol 

Edited by wwanderer

I can easily create a 2nd consumer file for a credit applicant; I learned how to do it from naysaying consumers.

Order of importance, in my opinion, based on observation

1. Your name. 2. your street address, 3. your city, 4.your state of residence, 5. you zip code 6. your date of birth. 7. possibly a generational suffix.

And your search terms might have been more appropriate had you used the following terms perhaps:

Split file or split files

Multiple file or multiple files

That is commonly what our long term contributors have named the phenomenon.

38 minutes ago, MarvBear said:

I can easily create a 2nd consumer file for a credit applicant; I learned how to do it from naysaying consumers.

Order of importance, in my opinion, based on observation

1. Your name. 2. your street address, 3. your city, 4.your state of residence, 5. you zip code 6. your date of birth. 7. possibly a generational suffix.

That’s interesting because my addresses are the same, both home and mailing. Also the account numbers with my creditors remained the same, so when they reported, they were reporting same account #s, just with different name. The only thing that changed is my name. 

Do you think it’s better to just wait and see if the CBs figure it out, or send them a letter? 

Frankly, I don’t mind having a new file. I’ve seen how much easier it is for bf to get credit with his new file we’ve been building, than for me with only 1 paid collection and a much longer positive history. 

(And his new file meaning he just had zero credit before - started from scratch.)

Edited by wwanderer

1 hour ago, wwanderer said:

My searches for 2 credit files, 2nd credit file etc, pulled up nothing. I was looking for something related to that, not just account review in general. 

Put your search in quotes, otherwise you will get every thread/post that contains any of the words. I just tried "two credit files" (with and without quotes) and got lots of good hits. Try it both ways for yourself and you will see. Hope this helps :)