Sign in to follow this  
MarvBear

Shingles vaccination?

hmmm, my doctor tried to give me the shingles shot the last time I was in (Late October/early November I think) 
but changed his mind and gave me a tetanus shot and a steroid shot.  (I had a bad sinus infection, which was the reason for the visit) 

But since he ordered it, I am presuming they had them.  

On 11/21/2019 at 6:04 PM, hegemony said:

okay tried safari and the locator worked... only that it shows every pharmacy & clinic and not necessarily those with supply.

My MD said the waitlist at Costco is rumored to be shorter than others. This is great as I can pick-up 80 packs of apples, 15 pound bags of frozen turkey breast, and 10,000 count bottles of exlax

I got both of my Shingles vaccine shots at my local Costco -- first one in June and the second one in September. Insurance covered it. But let me warn you -- I had a severe reaction to this vaccine unlike any other.  Not an allergic type reaction, more of a strong immune response.  It felt like a severe case of flu for 36 - 48 hours after each injection. I got the first shot during my lunch hour when I went to Costco to pick up another prescription, and by mid-afternoon I had to leave work I was feeling so bad.    Every one of my friends who have had the new vaccine had the same reaction, so it's not just me.  But it's better than getting the shingles!  Just be prepared to stay home the day after each injection in case you're feeling poorly.  

I also hear this new vaccine is 99% effective, whereas the previous one was only about 65% effective.  If you've already had the previous vaccine and you're over 50, you should get the new vaccine too.