MarvBear

Shingles vaccination?

Does anyone have a clue why the shingles vaccination is in such short supply? I have been waiting since this past October of 2018.  Doctor office does not have not does Walgreens.  Confused.

I tried to get this vaccine a couple of years ago (I've had shingles twice). 

My problem wasn't availability; Rite Aid wouldn't sell me a dose because I wasn't old enough.

I wonder if the restrictions have changed... I definitely don't want to go through another bout like the second time I had it.  Wow.

6 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I tried to get this vaccine a couple of years ago (I've had shingles twice). 

My problem wasn't availability; Rite Aid wouldn't sell me a dose because I wasn't old enough.

I wonder if the restrictions have changed... I definitely don't want to go through another bout like the second time I had it.  Wow.

Interesting. Before I reached the age to get it free through insurance, Walgreens would sell it but it cost over $300. 

4 hours ago, MarvBear said:

I checked all the links available.   All say it's on backorder.

Where are you getting status?  I only see dots that are blue, yellow or red, with no explanation as to what the colors mean.  The only additional provider detail I can find is location info.

4 hours ago, creditmaze said:

Interesting. Before I reached the age to get it free through insurance, Walgreens would sell it but it cost over $300. 

I would pay $300 to not get shingles again.  I'd go much higher.

17 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Where are you getting status?  I only see dots that are blue, yellow or red, with no explanation as to what the colors mean.  The only additional provider detail I can find is location info.

I called everyone within a 15-mile radius of my zip code.  They get shipments in periodically and then start calling their people on the waiting list.   I'm already on Walgreens waiting list.  Every single time they say it's on national backorder.

22 minutes ago, MarvBear said:

I called everyone within a 15-mile radius of my zip code.  They get shipments in periodically and then start calling their people on the waiting list.   I'm already on Walgreens waiting list.  Every single time they say it's on national backorder.

I see.  When you said, "checked all the links" I was assuming a different methodology.  Thanks. 

53 minutes ago, MarvBear said:

Marv, I'm assuming you used this link. You might want to extend that to a 100-mile radius (don't know how desperate you are). I called the first pharmacy on 'my' list and they had Shingrix in stock.

Wanted to add... I'm guessing non-chain type pharmacies are probably more likely to have the vaccine.

With this vaccination stuff, my Rite Aid wants to vaccinate me for everything, because my insurance covers it.

There's a relatively new Shingles vaccine given in two shots, compared to one before. I've had the old one not too long ago because my doctor suggested it. I had chicken pox as a child. The new shot my doctor also suggested. The last time I asked at Rite Aid, they didn't have it. 

Additionally, do not overlook the litigation nonsense that apparently is just kicking in over the vaccine.  I saw one of those hype ads the other day where apparently some where GETTING shingles after having had the vaccine.  Ad was from one of those same groups that is trying to make bank over RoundUp and all sorts of other frivolous litigation...

3 hours ago, centex said:

Additionally, do not overlook the litigation nonsense that apparently is just kicking in over the vaccine.  I saw one of those hype ads the other day where apparently some where GETTING shingles after having had the vaccine.  Ad was from one of those same groups that is trying to make bank over RoundUp and all sorts of other frivolous litigation...

And it's not the law firm of James Suckalot amazingly enough.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:40 PM, creditmaze said:

It has to do with FDA approval for administration of the vaccine, and contraindications to the vaccine, not cost.  It's not licensed for those under 50 (Shingrix) or 59 (Zostavax).  Most drugstore pharmacists aren't going to give a vaccine off-label.  

5 hours ago, Pam said:

It has to do with FDA approval for administration of the vaccine, and contraindications to the vaccine, not cost.  It's not licensed for those under 50 (Shingrix) or 59 (Zostavax).  Most drugstore pharmacists aren't going to give a vaccine off-label.  

They told me it was store policy because there was a shortage and they were reserving the doses for people > 65 who were most at risk. 

With that said, the pharmacist at that Rite Aid is creepy, maybe even insane.  He flirts with me, which is gross.  I recently saw him at a steakhouse where I was dining with a friend... he was with his wife.  I didn't make eye contact.

22 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Woot.   I get to go get my shingles vaccination tomorrow. (first dose anyways).

That's great news.