msfdisk

Payoff current upside down loan or sell on own?

I will be selling my house and buying another home within the next few months.
I have quite a bit of equity and one of the things I want to pay off is my auto loan.

• $37,500 balance
  • @13% interest (a last min, weekend, stupid decision, traded in another Tahoe that only had 3.3%)
  • 54 months left (2015 Tahoe with 80k miles.)
  • I drive about 20k a year
  • Payment is $933/mo

The car was recently valued at $22,500 Fair price at a dealer.  Private Party is a bit higher at around $25-26k.  

My question is if I have a pool of $38,000 that I'm going to use so I no longer have a car payment: 

1. Should I sell it private party (to get more money) and pay the difference then pay cash for a new vehicle?
    1. Sell PP for $26,000.  I pay $11,500 to pay off the lein then use the remainder $26,500 for a new vehicle.
  2. Should I trade it in and purchase a new car from a dealer and simply put $38k down which will include rollover payoff?
  3. Should I sell it private party, pay the difference but buy a $20k vehicle
    1. Sell PP for $26k, pay $11,500 to pay lein and ONLY buy a $20k vehicle
    2. Keep $6,500
  4. Pay off the loan and keep the vehicle?

12 hours ago, MarvBear said:

MarvBear, what is your reasoning?  That was my first instinct as well, but I am curious as to the professional opinion.
Thanks

Well if you pay it off now, you stop all the interest from accumulating.   You will have only paid the interest up to the date of the payoff.  

I agree with #4.  You know what you have in your current vehicle, you know how it has been maintained and driven.  Now if it has not been maintained and/or its been abused unload it and go with #3.

I purchased it when it had 27k miles.  It was a corp. lease and had a front end accident at 1,100 miles. (air bag deployed)

other than that, there is an ongoing issue that the dealer cannot seem to find....

So you will not be using the equity towards your new house? 

What is the ongoing issue?

26 minutes ago, Glacier said:

So you will not be using the equity towards your new house? 

What is the ongoing issue?

I will have plenty to pay off other loans and another vehicle and have a down payment.  My question is specific to the upside down vehicle.

6 hours ago, tomforr said:

I agree with #4.  You know what you have in your current vehicle, you know how it has been maintained and driven.  Now if it has not been maintained and/or its been abused unload it and go with #3.

I would purchase a brand new vehicle with the left over money.  A local dealership has Terrains and Acadias priced under $30k AWD.  Not the same class as the Tahoe by any means.... but brand new

On 1/29/2019 at 8:04 PM, msfdisk said:

I will be selling my house and buying another home within the next few months.
I have quite a bit of equity and one of the things I want to pay off is my auto loan.

• $37,500 balance
  • @13% interest (a last min, weekend, stupid decision, traded in another Tahoe that only had 3.3%)
  • 54 months left (2015 Tahoe with 80k miles.)
  • I drive about 20k a year
  • Payment is $933/mo

The car was recently valued at $22,500 Fair price at a dealer.  Private Party is a bit higher at around $25-26k.  

My question is if I have a pool of $38,000 that I'm going to use so I no longer have a car payment: 

1. Should I sell it private party (to get more money) and pay the difference then pay cash for a new vehicle?
    1. Sell PP for $26,000.  I pay $11,500 to pay off the lein then use the remainder $26,500 for a new vehicle.
  2. Should I trade it in and purchase a new car from a dealer and simply put $38k down which will include rollover payoff?
  3. Should I sell it private party, pay the difference but buy a $20k vehicle
    1. Sell PP for $26k, pay $11,500 to pay lein and ONLY buy a $20k vehicle
    2. Keep $6,500
  4. Pay off the loan and keep the vehicle?

It depends what your goals are, but unless you are already wealthy 1 and 2 make 0 sense.  

Most likely the cost of 4 is going to be less than the cost of 3.  Do the math, and make sure you account for the total costs of both approaches over 5-10 years and you should have your answer.  

Serially trading vehicles is often the second-best way, behind having children, to ensure poverty/dependency on others when you retire.  Eating Meow Mix for dinner when you're 75 isn't glamorous.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:05 PM, msfdisk said:

I will have plenty to pay off other loans and another vehicle and have a down payment.  My question is specific to the upside down vehicle.

Then I would go with #4.  Makes most financial sense. 

On 1/30/2019 at 2:05 PM, msfdisk said:

What about emergency fund and savings? I say pay off the loan, sell the car private party and buy a 5k car, saving the rest for a rainy day.