Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Discovery IT Fake Miles Card Eliminates Its Only Travel Benefit

According to a letter my mother received from Discovery, they are eliminating the $30 annual WiFi credit.

Discovery feebly attempts to market this card as a travel card.  Eliminating the only useful travel-related card benefit isn't going to help.

I'm hanging my head in shame because I overlooked the airline wi-fi credit.  (Still, at $30 annually for a service I use infrequently, it's close to chump change.)

But, yeah, Discover's marketing of this card as a "Travel" card is a hoot.   I'm surprised they don't market a "Grocery and Gas" card where earned points can only be redeemed on groceries and gas charges.  Obviously they position themselves as a poser among traditional Travel cards, which normally feature enhanced benefits for Travel charges.

But I skim the cream from whatever presents itself; 3% cb for a year on all charging has been fruitful.  When I'm through with the card, I may keep it for bt offers (5% w/ no fee isn't too shabby when I want to carry something short-term) or see if I can merge the CL into my older Disco More.

24 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Discovery is nothing more than an Amazon card to DW.

Why doesn't she have an Amazon card for Amazon?  I get 5% back in Amazon credit on pretty much everything I buy there all the time.  Which is pretty much everything since I hardly ever leave the house.

13 hours ago, GreenDragonLady said:

Why doesn't she have an Amazon card for Amazon?  I get 5% back in Amazon credit on pretty much everything I buy there all the time.  Which is pretty much everything since I hardly ever leave the house.

She's blacklisted by Chase due to previous "settled for less than full" accounts.

50 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

She's blacklisted by Chase due to previous "settled for less than full" accounts.

Ah.  I guess that'll do it.  On the bright side, maybe she can take advantage of the upcoming 5% amazon quarter with Discover if it's on the card she has.

4 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Amazon Prime Store card?

7 hours ago, GreenDragonLady said:

Ah.  I guess that'll do it.  On the bright side, maybe she can take advantage of the upcoming 5% amazon quarter with Discover if it's on the card she has.

Actually the Amazon quarter just happened.

3 hours ago, Kat58 said:

Amazon Prime Store card?

Yup. FICO in the high 700's (according to AmEx), Chase no longer reporting on CR's. Internal blacklist. She's AU on my Freedom card but no go on her own Amazon Prime card.

21 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Discovery is nothing more than an Amazon card to DW.

The Discovery IT Fake Miles card doesn't have rotating categories.  You're thinking of the Discovery IT, which also isn't useful for travelers.

1 hour ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Yup. FICO in the high 700's (according to AmEx), Chase no longer reporting on CR's. Internal blacklist. She's AU on my Freedom card but no go on her own Amazon Prime card.

I think they meant the "store-only" Amazon card, not the VISA from Chase.

The store-only is through Synchrony.

25 minutes ago, brainchasm said:

I meant the Chase.  That's what I have.

1 hour ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Oh, they must do it every year then?  I'm a new Discover cardholder.  I saw it's coming later this year.

1 hour ago, brainchasm said:

Yeah... this one

SBR2X9X.jpg?1

On 1/30/2019 at 4:54 PM, GreenDragonLady said:

I meant the Chase.  That's what I have.

I was more referring to Kat58's recommendation of the store card as a solution for IndyPoolPlayer's DW, and then his possible misunderstanding that there are two possible Amazon Prime cards (which we know his wife can't get the Chase one).

Anyway, Happy Friday!