Sign in to follow this  
gdtobefree

Direct TV woes

So I went to add a line to my ATT account and was told I needed to take care of a 4 yr old direct TV account I had. 

I contacted direct TV and their records show something different then what I remember. 

I never closed my account with them the CS rep took it upon herself to close it when I complained for the 22nd time for constantly losing signals. 

Her exact words were  "Direct TV service is not for you" and she closed my account. I sent the equipment back paid for them for the last month of service. 

3 months later I get a bill for 3 months of service on top of contract cancellation fees.

I didnt cancel my services. The rep did! 

Any ideas on how to deal with this? 

Put them into arbitration. I believe they use AAA. The initial fee for them is 4700 and it's 1500 per day thereafter. That will get you some results.  Signal loss is common, unless you have the new Genie receiver. The old boxes are going to be obsolete in April. I had 8 days of signal loss, so they upgraded me to all new receivers and a new dish. Works just fine.

14 hours ago, gdtobefree said:

So I went to add a line to my ATT account and was told I needed to take care of a 4 yr old direct TV account I had. 

I contacted direct TV and their records show something different then what I remember. 

I never closed my account with them the CS rep took it upon herself to close it when I complained for the 22nd time for constantly losing signals. 

Her exact words were  "Direct TV service is not for you" and she closed my account. I sent the equipment back paid for them for the last month of service. 

3 months later I get a bill for 3 months of service on top of contract cancellation fees.

I didnt cancel my services. The rep did! 

Any ideas on how to deal with this? 

This is the sort of thing that a well-written complaint to the Public Utilities Commission will address.  In the written complaint, you ALSO want to request an expedited oral hearing.  Most companies subject to the PUC will bend over backwards to avoid such a hearing precisely because they are NOT limited to just your complaint...when a hearing is conducted, ALL operations become fair game if they are somehow related to the issues you have brought forward. 

The broader question is going to come back to what you have in your folder in the desk drawers...if there were balances billed in that era, what steps were taken to address them at that time?