policebox

Question about NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature

I'm looking at the NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature card. I'm hoping someone can confirm/clarify my basic interpretation of the rewards structure.

It's billed as having 3X points on travel, 3X points on everything else, statement credit (up to $100) for Global Entry or TSA Pre Check, with a $49 annual fee.

If I were to redeem points as cash back, with 1 point equaling $0.01, then this is basically a 3% cash back card for travel and a 2% cash back card for everything else? Am I understanding this correctly?

Additionally, does anyone know if the $100 credit for Pre Check is a one-time thing, or if you are able to receive this credit every time you renew your Pre Check?

Does NFCU allow you to convert one product type to another? I have a NFCU cashRewards Visa Signature (which offers 1.5% cashback) that's in the sock drawer (or used for 0% balance transfers), since I have better rewards cards. So if they allow product changes, then this card would be of more use to me, if I'm interpreting the rewards structure correctly.

Thank you for the assistance!

Here is my analysis of the rewards structure.  Not sure if the SUB is still available, or if they still waive the AF in year one.

I would never open a new Flogship without a SUB and an AF waiver, and a no-AF 2% card will be better for many, many, many people.

The Global Entry credit is currently once every four years.  See note 4 at the bottom of this page.

https://www.navyfederal.org/loans-cards/credit-cards/flagship-visa-signature/#CC19

Mine is in the sock drawer waiting for the SUB points to post so I can cash out.

Not sure if they'll PC.  

7 hours ago, policebox said:

I'm looking at the NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature card. I'm hoping someone can confirm/clarify my basic interpretation of the rewards structure.

It's billed as having 3X points on travel, 3X points on everything else, statement credit (up to $100) for Global Entry or TSA Pre Check, with a $49 annual fee.

If I were to redeem points as cash back, with 1 point equaling $0.01, then this is basically a 3% cash back card for travel and a 2% cash back card for everything else? Am I understanding this correctly?

Additionally, does anyone know if the $100 credit for Pre Check is a one-time thing, or if you are able to receive this credit every time you renew your Pre Check?

Does NFCU allow you to convert one product type to another? I have a NFCU cashRewards Visa Signature (which offers 1.5% cashback) that's in the sock drawer (or used for 0% balance transfers), since I have better rewards cards. So if they allow product changes, then this card would be of more use to me, if I'm interpreting the rewards structure correctly.

Thank you for the assistance!

Although I'd much prefer a no AF card, I'd be able to handle $49 per year given there is no FTF and over half of any heavy spending is overseas for me. 

The Pre Check is also covered at renewal times.  

Navy is strange on PCs.  Apparently they have a no PC policy but seldom is enforced.  A lot of people have luck just sending a PM.  I'm not sure I'd want to PC though.  If you PC there's no SUB and the first year AF would not be waived.  I'd keep the cashRewards and use it as a BT tool once a year.  

You are right about the rewards.  It's 2% on everything except travel, which is 3%. 

Thank you for the input @cv91915 and @PotO.

Looks like this will be a good card for either me or DW to apply for, once we get our balances down on our other cards. DW does a lot of work travel, so it'd be nice to get more than 2% back on that.

It might take some digging, but there was a thread a year or two ago about different exchange rates used by different lenders. I think the main takeaway was that the differences in exchage rate can be more than the FTF. So you may actually spend less by paying a FTF and getting a better exchange rate. It was said Chase had the best exchange rates, though there is surely some variability depending on the country.

8 hours ago, nooneimportant said:

It might take some digging, but there was a thread a year or two ago about different exchange rates used by different lenders. I think the main takeaway was that the differences in exchage rate can be more than the FTF. So you may actually spend less by paying a FTF and getting a better exchange rate. It was said Chase had the best exchange rates, though there is surely some variability depending on the country.

Exchange rates cannot be set by anybody but the card association.  There is variation between card associations, but virtually impossible that would amount to 3%.