Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

How was your credit card account hacked? You'll probably never know (DENNY'S!!!!)

I would have suggested to this couple that they check for malware on their computer.  A keyboard logger could be picking up their information either via their computer and/or websites that have been injected with a script.  There was a script that went undiscovered for 6 months last year that had infected over 8000 legitimate websites that picked up credit card information AS IT WAS BEING TYPED IN to the form before it was even sent through the credit card gateway.  Fortunately, this script was discovered before it did even more damage in late 2018.

Great at job masking their home address for security.

With their names and city/state and public records, in about 60 seconds I was able to find the address of their 3,808 sq ft home on a 1.87-acre lot.  

dd7_3dennysbadchargechaseredacted.jpeg

23 hours ago, direct said:

I would have suggested to this couple that they check for malware on their computer.  A keyboard logger could be picking up their information either via their computer and/or websites that have been injected with a script.  There was a script that went undiscovered for 6 months last year that had infected over 8000 legitimate websites that picked up credit card information AS IT WAS BEING TYPED IN to the form before it was even sent through the credit card gateway.  Fortunately, this script was discovered before it did even more damage in late 2018.

Hackers go where the easy money is. More efficient to steal password databases then run crackers on the hashes. So many people re-use passwords hackers just automate scripts to see which ones log onto financial institutions. Most larger FIs are using additional measures to detect this kind of fraud but lots are still vulnerable. Hackers do try to install malware but most of that is to create bot farms to facilitate the above. Exceptions are if you are a high value target. In those cases they use email spearphishing and go after company execs.

1. Never re-use passwords. And don't change them by making minor changes.

2. Generate passwords with a good program like lastpass. They make life easy for you and hard for the crooks.

3. Use two factor authentication on any account of significance. Especially email and FI accounts.

Changing passwords every so many months is mostly a waste of time and probably degrades security overall because of the shortcuts people take. A higher percentage of people don't use strong passwords when they have to change them regularly. But they should be changed on any site that has had it's database stolen. A long password with >12 random characters like lastpass creates is safe even if the database hashes are stolen.

Years ago I came home and looked at my mail.  In it was a credit card statement from a card I hardly use, so I wasn't expecting one.  I open it up, and say "oh, crap" to myself.  A whole bunch of charges between Ontario, California and Texas, charging gas and cheap restaurants along the way.  Del Taco, McDonald's, and when they wanted to "live it up," Denny's.  They cloned my account number from somewhere.  I called the bank, and it's the standard cancelling the card, sending me a new one, plus they sent me a letter to sign indicating I didn't authorize this stuff.  It was "nice" of the card cloners to eat cheap.  Saves the bank money.  ;)