Sign in to follow this  
TiffanySa

Card recommendations

Hello,

I'm a recent college grad and looking to boost my credit. Currently have an account with Discover IT, CL @ 6600 (they increased my limit 5000 4mos ago) and a credit union Master Card @ 500. According to the Discover FICO8 Scorecard, I'm currently 798.  What additional credit cards or steps would you recommend to boost credit limit?

Open a couple more carefully-chosen cards from prime issuers.  

What is your intended use for the additional credit?

You should look at how you will use the cards, and what rewards are important to you, Travel?  Cash Back?  Others?  Look for prime issuers that have the benefits you desir and will use.  Chase, Citi and Amex have pre-approval sites where you can see if you are pre-approved for a card without a hard inquiry just for looking to see if you are pre-approved.

6 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Open a couple more carefully-chosen cards from prime issuers.  

What is your intended use for the additional credit?

Ok, so ideally I'd love to build up credit to buy real estate in the next two years. I'm looking at the Chase Freedom.

a chase UR card may be in order before anything else to avoid wanting one once you're 5/24.

also, are you opted in?

and :welcome:

3 hours ago, Glacier said:

You should look at how you will use the cards, and what rewards are important to you, Travel?  Cash Back?  Others?  Look for prime issuers that have the benefits you desir and will use.  Chase, Citi and Amex have pre-approval sites where you can see if you are pre-approved for a card without a hard inquiry just for looking to see if you are pre-approved.

Ohhhh ok! Cash back would be nice

26 minutes ago, hegemony said:

a chase UR card may be in order before anything else to avoid wanting one once you're 5/24.

also, are you opted in?

and :welcome:

Good call, I'll look into that one.

I opted out because someone recently attempted to steal my identity. Was that a bad call? Should I opt back in?

and thanks!!

Edited by TiffanySa

opting out doesn't do anything regarding ID theft. if you;re opted in you may received prescreened offers from chase, boa, etc.

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

opting out doesn't do anything regarding ID theft. if you;re opted in you may received prescreened offers from chase, boa, etc.

I guess I was just a bit over anxious about someone going through my pre-approval mailers.

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

You will also need to be opted in to use the pre-approval sites. 

34 minutes ago, Glacier said:

You will also need to be opted in to use the pre-approval sites. 

Any pre-approval sites your highly recommend?

It would depend upon which issuer you are targeting.  Citi, AmEx, Chase all allow you to check to see if you are pre-approved for cards.  However, until you opt back in, nothing will show. 

20 hours ago, TiffanySa said:

Ok, so ideally I'd love to build up credit to buy real estate in the next two years. I'm looking at the Chase Freedom.

There is no connection between getting a Chase Freedom card and being able to buy real estate in two years.

If your FICO 8s are close to 800 your mortgage FICO scores should also be very good.  Check to be sure, but your credit is probably already sufficient to qualify for a mortgage.  

There are separate financial requirements, of course.  I'm just talking about creditworthiness.

Gotcha! My utilization rate is 6% so I just figured having access to higher CL would help lower that and boost me over 800.