Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
TiffanySa

Card recommendations

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I'm a recent college grad and looking to boost my credit. Currently have an account with Discover IT, CL @ 6600 (they increased my limit 5000 4mos ago) and a credit union Master Card @ 500. According to the Discover FICO8 Scorecard, I'm currently 798.  What additional credit cards or steps would you recommend to boost credit limit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open a couple more carefully-chosen cards from prime issuers.  

 

What is your intended use for the additional credit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should look at how you will use the cards, and what rewards are important to you, Travel?  Cash Back?  Others?  Look for prime issuers that have the benefits you desir and will use.  Chase, Citi and Amex have pre-approval sites where you can see if you are pre-approved for a card without a hard inquiry just for looking to see if you are pre-approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Open a couple more carefully-chosen cards from prime issuers.  

 

What is your intended use for the additional credit?

Ok, so ideally I'd love to build up credit to buy real estate in the next two years. I'm looking at the Chase Freedom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a chase UR card may be in order before anything else to avoid wanting one once you're 5/24.

 

also, are you opted in?

 

and :welcome:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Glacier said:

You should look at how you will use the cards, and what rewards are important to you, Travel?  Cash Back?  Others?  Look for prime issuers that have the benefits you desir and will use.  Chase, Citi and Amex have pre-approval sites where you can see if you are pre-approved for a card without a hard inquiry just for looking to see if you are pre-approved.

Ohhhh ok! Cash back would be nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hegemony said:

a chase UR card may be in order before anything else to avoid wanting one once you're 5/24.

 

also, are you opted in?

 

and :welcome:

Good call, I'll look into that one.

 

I opted out because someone recently attempted to steal my identity. Was that a bad call? Should I opt back in?

 

and thanks!!

Edited by TiffanySa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

opting out doesn't do anything regarding ID theft. if you;re opted in you may received prescreened offers from chase, boa, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hegemony said:

opting out doesn't do anything regarding ID theft. if you;re opted in you may received prescreened offers from chase, boa, etc.

I guess I was just a bit over anxious about someone going through my pre-approval mailers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hegemony said:

opting out doesn't do anything regarding ID theft. if you;re opted in you may received prescreened offers from chase, boa, etc.

You will also need to be opted in to use the pre-approval sites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Glacier said:

You will also need to be opted in to use the pre-approval sites. 

Any pre-approval sites your highly recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would depend upon which issuer you are targeting.  Citi, AmEx, Chase all allow you to check to see if you are pre-approved for cards.  However, until you opt back in, nothing will show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TiffanySa said:

Ok, so ideally I'd love to build up credit to buy real estate in the next two years. I'm looking at the Chase Freedom.

There is no connection between getting a Chase Freedom card and being able to buy real estate in two years.

 

If your FICO 8s are close to 800 your mortgage FICO scores should also be very good.  Check to be sure, but your credit is probably already sufficient to qualify for a mortgage.  

 

There are separate financial requirements, of course.  I'm just talking about creditworthiness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotcha! My utilization rate is 6% so I just figured having access to higher CL would help lower that and boost me over 800.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  




  • Today's Birthdays

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      177,771
    • Most Online
      1,528

    Newest Member
    tianaj
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines