Genie

Auto loan missing from Credit Report?

I'm in the market to finance a new car and have had a car loan before which I started in 2008 for 12k + interest from Carmax and I finished paying it completely a few years later but it's been deleted from all of the credit bureaus. I think it was deleted after disputing an error. I wanted it corrected but instead, they deleted it and now my credit shows no history of a car loan which could benefit me in getting the new car finance.

Is there any way to get this loan to show back on my credit?

As noted, it likely aged off.  While positive lines CAN report for up to ten years after closure, it is rare to see a car loan actually hang around that length of time.  Even the larger players like Ford Credit don't always remain that length of time.  I've lost them even before five or six years had elapsed after paying one off.  It happens. 

If that was the only thing on your report, why would you have ever disputed it to begin with?  That tends to suggest there were issues that make it something that you may have been better off with it gone and to be going in with an anorexic file...

@centex - in my personal history, most of my vehicle loans dropped off at the 10 year after opening mark when paid off. That would be about 5 to 6 or so years showing a closed account.

@Genie - No credit of ANY kind? No revolvers? No mortgage? Nothing?

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Other than that I don't have a history... 

If you have visited a dealership, and the dealership has pulled your credit file(s), they would have given you a credit score disclosure notice.  Did the dealership you visited pull your credit?

On 1/12/2019 at 1:26 PM, IndyPoolPlayer said:

@centex - in my personal history, most of my vehicle loans dropped off at the 10 year after opening mark when paid off. That would be about 5 to 6 or so years showing a closed account.

@Genie - No credit of ANY kind? No revolvers? No mortgage? Nothing?

I would guess the five or six year window is a little more common simply because it is not worth it to the lender to continue to pay costs related to the reporting.  However, they COULD continue reporting for the full ten years from last activity if they chose to do so...it just does not happen very often. 

I remember getting a benefit on a Mervyns account many years back where they did some manner of "OK" long after it was closed.  It served to change the 'remain on report until' date to about 17 years after I had closed out the account...other actions related to Mervyns as a viable entity would result in it disappearing from the report in the past few years though.