hegemony

I am sick of paying off my wife’s credit card debts

Sounds like the CFO's wife back when I was working. He made good money, 400K or so IIRC, and his wife spent it all and then some. She also hid the amount of debt accrued. He was skilled at finance and planning but apparently little rubbed on his spouse. No idea if they resolved the problem but they are still married.  That would be a deal breaker for me and I'm a pretty tolerant guy.

I hate that carrot & stick advice suggested in the article.

Once, maybe twice I can see sitting down and trying to reason with her.  Three times?  LART.  

And after the first time I would take preventive action.  Close all of her accounts.  Remove her as AU on any of my accounts except, for example, American Express where I can set her a $500 limit.  Get her off the deed to the house.  Remove her from any bank accounts.  When the shite hits the fan from her uncontrollable spending, don't go down with the ship with her.  

It would be helpful to know what she's spending money on.  He didn't mention children but a lot of older people who go into debt are usually providing financial help to children and grandchildren.  Just by the tone of his question, I can guess which parent someone would be more inclined to lean on.

Or she could have just picked up compulsive spending in her sixties.

This isn't a behavioral issue.  This is her character.

I learned the difference in a previous relationship.  

Behaviors can change.  Character does not.  Make decisions accordingly.

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

This isn't a behavioral issue.  This is her character.

I learned the difference in a previous relationship.  

Behaviors can change.  Character does not.  Make decisions accordingly.

+1000

I bet she didn’t haven’t the decency to put out either. I can picture this now.......spend money all day, then come home with a headache.