SandwichFace

Do Charged Off Credit Cards Stay on Your Report After They're Sent to Collections?

An old CapitalOne credit card was charged off. It went to collections and the collections account appeared on my reports. The original CapitalOne credit card disappeared from two reports but is still on Equifax.

Do original creditor accounts that are charged off usually stay on your report after they're sent to collections?

Is there any way to get the original charged off account off of my report? It seems odd that basically the same account can show up as two negative items. If it can come off, can you please help me find some resources to help get it off? I found this article but it doesn't help much: https://blog.credit.com/2012/08/credit-report-double-jeopardy-means-double-damage-61199/

Welcome to Crediboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the bottom of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze & MarvBear

It can indeed remain viewable BUT if it has been sold, then it will need to report with a zero balance.  Two entities cannot report a balance for the same account. 

I thought I saw a post somewhere where the person was able to Goodwill the original creditor and get them to stop reporting. Has anybody had success doing that? The listing from the original creditor shows no balance, so it might not be hurting my score much at all.

14 hours ago, SandwichFace said:

I thought I saw a post somewhere where the person was able to Goodwill the original creditor and get them to stop reporting. Has anybody had success doing that? The listing from the original creditor shows no balance, so it might not be hurting my score much at all.

Make no mistake about it, it is hurting.  Any derogatory item appearing does not do you any favors.

Some banks are good for goodwill adjustments.  I don't remember specifically about Cap One, but I think the consensus is that they are very difficult.  Hopefully someone with Cap One experience will come along and set the record straight.