Sign in to follow this  
mbrazil05

credit card dilemma?

background:  a few year ago  (about 4yrs) I filed for CH7 bankruptcy and was approved.  
I found this board and got a capital one credit card. I made the payments on time and kept it under 10%. 
Over time, they kept increasing my limit until it reached 10k.  during this time, i carried a balance as 
low as $40 and as high as $2500.  During this time i applied and received a 2nd Capitalone credit card. 
 The initial balance started off at $3k but was recently increased to $6k. I took a autoloan out with 
capitalone and been making payments without no issues for the past 4 months. I've paid off the the $10k limit
 credit card to $40 and the $6k credit card to under $900 with the plan to pay it off this saturday.  
Against this backdrop I notice my credit score went from 684 to 684.  

My questions are:

1. Is there anything I can do to increase my credit score?

2. is it a good idea to keep 2 credit cards from the same bank?

3. Is there any card I should consider applying for and or getting rid of one my my credit cards

4. My credit used percentage is at 36% as of Dec but my current balance is less than $1k.

4. Any suggestion on a better way to manage my current credit cards better?

1.  Only let 1 CC report a small balance. All other CC's should report a $0 balance. Do not let all CC's report $0.

2.  It doesn't matter.

3.  Yes, you should apply for another card (not Cap One).  DO NOT close any CC's.

4.  Keep balances low (under 9% or lower) and always PIF.

What banks did you burn in your BK?

Where did you get those scores?

OP... we can't help you if you don't answer the questions.

Against this backdrop I notice my credit score went from 684 to 684.

Is that a typo or were you just pointing out there was no change?

That's a reasonable credit score with the BK reporting. Cap One can see your payment history in detail and has been good you.

The BK will keep you down. Kat's suggestions are good but with the BK on your report things that would normally make a big improvement will be very attenuated.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, Kat58 said:

1.  Only let 1 CC report a small balance. All other CC's should report a $0 balance. Do not let all CC's report $0.

2.  It doesn't matter.

3.  Yes, you should apply for another card (not Cap One).  DO NOT close any CC's.

4.  Keep balances low (under 9% or lower) and always PIF.

What banks did you burn in your BK? NFU, USAA, MC, Visa

Where did you get those scores? I pulled the scores from my Capital one account.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:29 PM, cashnocredit said:

Is that a typo or were you just pointing out there was no change? yes. I meant it went from 684 to 682. Sorry.

That's a reasonable credit score with the BK reporting. Cap One can see your payment history in detail and has been good you.

The BK will keep you down. Kat's suggestions are good but with the BK on your report things that would normally make a big improvement will be very attenuated.

58 minutes ago, mbrazil05 said:

What banks did you burn in your BK? NFU, USAAMC, Visa

Where did you get those scores? I pulled the scores from my Capital one account.

Visa and MC are payment networks, not financial institutions. What FI's did you burn? e.g., Chase, Discover, Synchrony, etc.

Capital One uses VantageScores. You need FICO 08 scores. Discover Credit Scorecard offers a free monthly EX FICO 08 score (card membership not required).

Edited by Kat58