Sidewinder

Brake lines vs. linings

Brought my 2012 Toyota to the dealership for its 5K interval servicing coupla weeks ago; they said I needed

A) new battery ($150).  Indeed I had noticed the car being a little reluctant to start on a couple of occasions, and the Minnesota winter weather is coming.  Is six years a good run for a car battery?

2) front brake linings.  On the Green (all good) Yellow (will require further attention) Red (requires immediate attention) scale, these rated Red.  Gonna cost just over $400.   My Chase statement closed yesterday so I phoned to schedule the appointment and when I told the girl what service I wanted done (was surprised this info wasn't available to her via their own systems), she interpreted my "it needs the front brake linings replaced" as a need to have them check the hoses.  "No, not the hoses, the linings, your own printout said 'Front brake linings.'"  Well she said something about how that's not an option on her screen and proceeded to refer, for the rest of the phone call,. to the work being done as being done on the "brake lines."  I gave up trying to get her to say "linings" after my 2nd or 3rd attempt.

See, I interpret "brake lines" to refer to the hydraulic tubing - dare I say hoses - that actuate the brakes upon the pedal being pressed.  Am I wrong about this?  I figured "brake linings" maybe refer to what I'm used to calling "brake pads" so am I just ancient?  I can handle "linings" having replaced "pads" in the lexicon but I'm thenceforth much more hesitant to accept "lines" as a synonym for "linings." 

(Also - is six years a good run for (whatever the heck I end up having replaced for $407)?  or am I being hornswoggled?  )

Yes "brake linings" are brake pads, specifically the friction material that rubs on the brake rotor.  Pad is the more common name.

The fixed metal pipes that carry brake fluid under pressure are "lines", while the rubber hoses that carry the fluid out from the end of the line on the main part of the car to the wheel are "brake hoses."

Shop third party garages, $400 is really steep for a set of brake pads.   They are not complicated to replace.

6 years is a typical life of a battery, especially the one that came with the car when new as those usually aren't very good.  Brake life of course varies tremendously depending on how you use them.

Edited by mk_378

Beyond third-party garages, take a look at the manual...disc brake pads are often VERY easy as a DIY item.  Drum brakes are a whole different critter...and I know that Toyota still has some products that use drums in the back.  That being said, the question to be asked is how much actual material remains on the current pads or shoes...

Six years is definitely a good run on most batteries...an AGM battery should go at least that long (it is what was in the Miata as OEM equipment), but lead acid (traditional) batteries often go bad inside of the six year window described here.  Fords were notorious for eating a factory battery in about two years.  Never owned a new Toyota and the only one I DID own was an '86 Supra which I had for about two years between 1988 and 1990. 

One of the things my Jaguar service manager has always told me was to disregard the red green yellow sort of forms from the bay.  What you want are actual numbers on the fractions of an inch left of the materials on the brake pad/shoe.  Without that information, you have no way of knowing whether you really NEED to have them replaced.  As noted, they are a low cost, high profit item for the dealership, especially if the customer is scared of having the work done by a private shop (or of getting their own hands dirty). 

I have NEVER heard of brake pads/shoes referred to as brake linings (until now). Neither has AutoZone...

LkWTCZs.jpg

fBM7zhv.jpg

Uc8leqC.jpg

Your brake "linings" are fine until you hit the brake pedal and hear a grinding noise. Then its time to replace. That $400 figure is likely pads and rotors as OEM service centers tend to replace both as a set.