Sign in to follow this  
GreenDragonLady

NFCU Qualification Question

Again, I tried to search with no luck.

My grandfather was in the Army.  He is now deceased.  Does the family member have to be still living?  Additionally, I have none of his personal information and I don't know if I can get it.

I would like to be eligible to join NFCU but now sure how I would go about it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Here is a list of compelling NFCU membership benefits to consider if you do not have horrendous credit:

•  

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Here is a list of compelling NFCU membership benefits to consider if you do not have horrendous credit:

•  

:blink:

I thought they have special deals and whatnot that you guys post about?

NFCU's cards are ho-hum at best. It is known for high(er) limits for people with distressed credit compared to other issuers.

3 hours ago, GreenDragonLady said:

:blink:

I thought they have special deals and whatnot that you guys post about?

I just got one of their uncompetitive credit cards solely for the SUB.  It's already in the sock drawer.  I'll take their $500, but beyond that they're pretty useless to me.  

Once in a while they'll have a short-term CD special where they pay above-market APY on roughly the amount of money I had saved by the time I entered middle school.

Early on I wasted a lot of energy joining CUs I read about here, never asking myself in advance, "What specifically will this do for me that I can't accomplish better than anywhere else?"  

My list of credit unions I've joined and my list of credit unions I regret joining are substantially the same list.

I personally like them for mortgages, as even if they sell it, they still service it...makes my autopays simple.

to be honest, if you're looking for a credit card, pick on that serves your spending pattern and benefit needs. Patelco's WEMC travel card is a better option than anything NFCU offers if you travel much. 250 SUB

2 hours ago, Zanshiro said:

I personally like them for mortgages, as even if they sell it, they still service it...makes my autopays simple.

I have had several mortgage servicers in my lifetime, and I didn't find much complexity in paying any of them.  :) 

12 hours ago, cv91915 said:

•  

🤣 Kat58 reacted to a post in a topic: NFCU Qualification Question

As another frame of reference I have liquid savings stashed at Barclays and Live Oak Bank (among others), both of which are paying 2.25% with no minimum balance.  

Note that both of these alternatives are greedy for-profit banks that put profits before people, and where you are a customer AND NOT AN OWNER.

And all that other folksy credit union garbage.

tHSfBRQ.jpg

dm7GZI6.jpg

ob6o2xo.jpg

Expanding on cv's list...

1. They are generous with credit limits.

2. They regularly (once or twice a year) offer 0% BT with no transfer fees.

3. They do sometimes have good special CD rates.

Item #2 is the only reason I bothered to become a member.

You can expect to need to supply your grandfather's DD214 or other proof of service (there's a list on their website) as well as your parent's birth certificate and your birth certificate.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, nooneimportant said:

Expanding on cv's list...

1. They are generous with credit limits.

2. They regularly (once or twice a year) offer 0% BT with no transfer fees.

3. They do sometimes have good special CD rates.

Item #2 is the only reason I bothered to become a member.

You can expect to need to supply your grandfather's DD214 or other proof of service (there's a list on their website) as well as your parent's birth certificate and your birth certificate.

Hmmm... might need to take them up on that. The #2.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:25 PM, GreenDragonLady said:

Does the family member have to be still living?

I don't believe so.  I joined in late 2017 based on my father having been in the Air Force.  He died in 2012.  I had documentation proving he was my father, and I had his DD-214, though I was never asked for any sort of documentation. 

28 minutes ago, ptkdude said:

I don't believe so.  I joined in late 2017 based on my father having been in the Air Force.  He died in 2012.  I had documentation proving he was my father, and I had his DD-214, though I was never asked for any sort of documentation. 

Ok, thanks.